New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

12 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for that. Think it will be going on my ā€œthings to consider after NGNYā€ listā€¦ who knows maybe there will be a firmware update by thenā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks, always good to see something next to a digi to judge its size. Would have been great if it was OT MK II size :sweat_smile:. Itā€˜s quite a lightweight, right?

2 Likes

Yes, Itā€™s light enough to carry for sure

:man_shrugging:t5: looks good to me too

For the price, I will defintely get thisā€¦the MC101 is just too small with too few hands on controllsā€¦this will stay with me indefinitley.

2 Likes

Folks with the device, can you describe how does the 2+ octave buttons feel like. Is it the exact same as the ones found on the XM? Thanks.

What do you mean when you say feels like?

it doesnā€™t look bad, it just looks like one of those analog synths that smaller companies design, relatively barebones in style, reminds me more of an Analog Solutions synth aesthetic than a Roland groovebox.

Finger touch-feeling. Is it hard plastic buttons like the XM. Noisy, clackety, etc. Is it rubbery. Whatā€™s the travel like, how does it feel to be using it for quick swipe to punch in hi-hats, etc.

The buttons certainly arenā€™t anything amazing, just a hard plastic that is more rubbery than clicky.

1 Like

Yep they are hard plastic with only a little bit of travel, no clickiness. I havenā€™t tried a finger swipe, will report back!

1 Like
2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering how much finger-jutsu is needed to navigate around during a live performance. Looks like global mixer mode is 2 button presses away? PATTERN, then SOUND?

In the midi implementation chart in the manual, page 204, Sliders 1-4 receive CC 85-88, but i think those are the sliders for the osc models, not the global mixer onesā€¦

If I wanted to map dedicated external faders for part levels as a global mixer, would that be:
Control Change 7: AMP LEVEL (Pattern Part Level)?

Or is that simply a CC for the LEVEL knob in the AMP section?

CC 7 volume for each track.

From the mixer you can select any track and the knobs on the right will control the current track parameter. During a live performance, you shouldnā€™t need to switch to anything other the global mixer view too often, unless you need to change the oscillator settings of course.

1 Like

Nothing new I guess, and it sounds pretty outdated :confused:

What would not sound pretty outdated? Iā€™m genuinely curious. I mean itā€™s an subtractive synthesizer Iā€™m not sure how else itā€™s supposed to sound?

And itā€™s marketed as having the sound engines of two classic synths, so being ā€œoutdatedā€ is literally what itā€™s trying to be (in part)

7 Likes

This is actually my point. The Roland sound was ā€œnewā€ about 40 or 50 years ago, if not earlier, and probably since then, they have been making remakes.
Same machines from Analog to VA. I guess there arenā€™t a company that has evolved since their golden era, are they?

Iā€™m struggling to put my finger on it, and it could well be because of the particular sound demos, but Iā€™ve watched pretty much all of the SH-4d demos and all of the Minifreak demos, and to me, the Minifreak sounds a bit more ā€œcrispā€ and ā€œfuturisticā€ to my ears. Itā€™s just modulated in more interesting ways to my ears. Unfortunately Iā€™m not competent enough about synthesis to tell whether thatā€™s because of particular oscillator or filter characteristics, or if itā€™s simply because Minifreakā€™s UI/UX, sound presets and guides for reviewers expose more of those exotic modulations, whereas Rolandā€™s preset are flirting more with the past. In other words, Iā€™m definitely not claiming that the SH-4d canā€™t replicate all of those Minifreak presets in the hands of a competent sound designer, but I just havenā€™t heard them in any demos yet.

By the way, the Minifreak was just an example. I thought of it because I literally binge watched a number of SH-4d reviews and demos and then I stumbled over one Minifreak demo and immediately went ā€œwow, that sounds very differentā€. So, thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping I can push some of those newer osc models - especially FM and wave table - along with the mod matrix to new sonic territory, maybe not hydra or Minifreak levels of complexity, but at least beyond typical Roland subtractive stuff.

Having a good balance of recognizable classic sounds sprinkled with more experimental elements is what seems to work with the dancefloors i play to. 100% experimental / new and the crowd doesnā€™t have enough familiar anchors. 100% classic and it gets boring quick

1 Like