New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Oh yeah, when I make music myself, I tend to reach for fairly basic sounds anyway so it’s not that the SH-4d wouldn’t be more than capable of generating all the synth sounds I’d need in a song. It’s just when listening to a synth on its own that I think the Hydrasynth or the Minifreak stand out as more “interesting/modern” sounding than the SH-4d (or the MC-101 for that matter).

1 Like

If you don’t want a Roland sounding synth - it might come as no surprise that a Roland synth might not be for you

7 Likes

FACTS.

That is one thing I admire about Roland is the consistency. You know exactly what you’re going to get, just like Moog, and just like Sequential.

Korg a bit less so, but still a great legacy brand.

3 Likes

Right, but I think what you’ll get here with the SH-4D is consistency - a range of generally “good” sounding engines with good sweet spots, musicality etc.

The 'Freak engine might initially seem exciting and different, but in my experiance in a mix it rarely can hold it’s place or be the focal point of a track. I was actually using the SH-4D as an excuse to finally ditch my MicroFreak

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree, particularly that Roland sounds tend to be straightforward to mix. Where I think certain more exotic sounds play a role is in the inspirational phase of noodling. Sometimes all it takes is something that tickles your ears a bit differently, then you’re off to the races with a new song. But more often than not, I then find myself dialing down the uniqueness of that sound down the road to ensure it has its place in the mix. And that’s where - to me - something like the Minifreak might inspire me a bit more initially… before it becomes a mixing headache down the line. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d like to hear what r beny can do with the SH-4d. I was surprised by the sound he got out of the Electribe 2.

2 Likes

Yeah, my initial GAS for the Microfreaks and Hydras of the world usually ends up diminishing over time for that exact reason. I had a lot of time during initial Covid lockdowns for long experimental sound design sessions on a Novation Peak, but these days, I just want something that sounds good quickly, cuts through a mix, and has the potential for deep sound design if I really want to go there. Especially when playing out, I don’t really need crazy complex modulations… that’s studio work, and I’ve got Pigments for that anyway. But yeah, agree that the complex sounds often are quite inspiring as starting points.

Looking forward to making a convincing Rhodes patch on the PCM model or FM models. And for modulated stuff, i’m actually more excited for SH3D than 4D - I rarely ever need 4 oscillators anyway… smart move by Roland to give us the option. Oh yeah, and let’s see which model makes the most convincing acid patch, then using one of the combo overdrive + ___ effects :wink:

4 Likes

I love pigments. Especially the sound packs, because you can try a bunch of presets, and get close to what you like, then tweak the parameters to make it your own.

Plus, it helps understand synthesis as you go.

1 Like

Same. I was attracted to the Minifreak also for the VST integration, but the GAS only resulted in my selling my Hydrasynth, I never bought the Minifreak and don’t think I will unless I find a really good deal second hand later this year.

I’ve also learned that it’s the sequencer workflow that I value the most, which is why I’m quite happy with the Syntakt despite it being a fairly “shallow” and crude synth, for lack of a better description (though with some distinct grit to it). And the MC-101 on the side if I need more “polished” polyphonic sounds. :blush:

3 Likes

It may be down to me just being such a romantic that I’m still expecting Roland to surprise me :slight_smile:

But that’s right, from long time ago, I’m not interested in Roland anymore.

1 Like

Roland has pretty safe run of the mill factory presets on the devices I’ve had and the workflow tends to focus on having usable sounds and a large sweet spot.

The Freaks/Hydrasynth will go to wild territory even in the factory presets and the workflow will get you in to crazy sometimes unusable sounds without a ton of effort.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s it. They are showcasing their own proclivity through their preset designs.

1 Like

@x0x can you share thoughts on how sh-4d handles pattern changing? Does it sound smooth or is it hard swap or have artifacts or glitches when you switch? Thanks.

My thoughts exactly. The sounds he coaxed from the Electribe actually blew my mind.

This device totally seems like a Roland Electribe aswell.

2 Likes

Aww, don’t say that :frowning: I was looking forward to my pre-order

I’ll try it now for you. Not got to look at that yet

1 Like

Oh dear, it’s not good news I’m afraid. It changes 1-bar late when receiving program change messages from the DT/ST/DN.

It basically starts cueing the next pattern after the DT/ST/DN has already switched, and then changes pattern after additional 1-bar.

I’m never really sure though if this is an Elektron problem or other an issue with gear from other manufacturers?

So looks like you’re better of sequencing it from other gear, or using it as a sketch pad and sampling it into the DT.

Edit: Anither strange thing! It only responds to program changes if you’re on the Pattern page. If you’re on another page it won’t respond.

Edit: if I remember correctly the MC-707 could change scenes on time but SH-4d seems to behave differently.

3 Likes

Going live with the SH-4d again…

https://www.youtube.com/live/nesdQfQdcuw?feature=share

3 Likes

Yes confirmed in the docs unfortunately:

MIDI Implementation Chart (SYSTEM) (roland.com)

Roland needs to change that by simply having a dedicated global channel different from the track MIDI channels.

2 Likes

it does have a dedicated global channel, but it only works on that page.