New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

Thanks, good detective work :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll have another play

4 Likes

Digging into the 4d this week. Itā€™s surprisingly good. Better imo than the last couple of modern Roland boxes Iā€™ve had. Yeah the pattern and tone saving is a bit cumbersome but not too bad. And itā€™s battery powered!

The only thing that bugs me is you canā€™t motion control any of the drum tones. I was hoping for at least filter and amp there. Also no lfoā€™s on the drums. But beyond that thereā€™s a lot to explore here and it looks/feels really nice.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used Scan a few times for pro audio and computer stuff and itā€™s always been excellent, super quick delivery, all good stuff. Wouldnā€™t let the PC shop facade put you off if in the UK.

More on topic - I would prefer this was a sound module rather than a (not) groovebox, would be great to use a handful of DT midi tracks for the multitimbral parts and it has USB audio! :partying_face: The current size and all those buttons/not encoders arenā€™t ideal for me due to space but looks like Roland have got some better ideas going on there recently.

And yeah on topic of Juno-60 chorus raised earlier - that thing is pretty unmodellable so farā€¦
Would love to know if there is a good one, maybe TAL comes closest?

2 Likes

In Roland speak the M in MFX stands for multi not master.

The schematic on page 5 in the manual shows the audio routing fairly clearly.

1 Like

Ah! Multi rings a bell! Reading the menu header now I can clearly see:
Shift+MFX = PATTERN MFX
Shift+TONE = TONE MFX
Shift+6/TONE = TONE (when on Part 1-4)
Shift+6/TONE = RHYTHM KIT EDIT (when on Part 5)

So what it should say in the menu for RHYTHM KIT EDIT menu, for clarity, is DRY/ TONE MFX.

3 Likes

Re USB audio: Am I correct in concluding the 4D isnā€™t class compliant? Doesnā€™t seem to be claimed anywhere that it is compliant, and manual is clear you need drivers for a Mac. (There are also Windows drivers at the Roland site.)

If the SH-4D isnā€™t class compliant, does that rule out sending USB audio from the 4D to an MPC, Tascam 12-16-24 mixer/recorder, or other non-computer?

1 Like

Yes, not class compliant.

If the device cannot install Max or Windows drivers then I would assume it canā€™t be used via USB

Thanks. Thatā€™s what I figured.

I wonder what the internal justification is for it not being class-compliant, when for example the SP-404 MKII is.

3 Likes

I just did a little test, and note releases arenā€™t cut off when changing pattern, but FX tails just stop dead. Reverb sends are totally cut off!! This is not good Roland.

Edit: This seems to only apply to the send FX. The TONE MFX delay taps, for example, continue to play after the pattern changes. Strange that no issue with TONE MFX but send FX are totally cut off.

also if you make a pattern with just rhythm track and no send fx at all, and copy the same pattern to a second pattern slot, then there is an audible glitch when you switch between the two patterns

3 Likes

So happy there is no neon green on this thing

3 Likes

I miss my System 8ā€¦green is good!

The send FX are pattern based, so every pattern can have a different setting for the send FX.

I suppose to avoid cut off you would need to ensure that the send FX parameters are the same in each pattern.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t noticed this yet but Iā€™ve been copying patterns with the same send effects so maybe thatā€™s the key like noted above.

I have run into some issues with copying a pattern to another slot and it not getting the send amounts right for some reason. Doesnā€™t always do this however, so maybe some leftover baggage from the previous pattern data.

2 Likes

Iā€˜d love to own a system 8 despite the green

Thanks that does make sense. could be user error in this case.

Not class compliant. Requires Roland driver. I installed the driver for Mac OS (Apple Silicon) and it works with pretty low latency.

2 Likes

someone will ask if its class compliant roughly every 5 responses.
once itā€™s gone off the top of the screen it might as well vanish for ever.

similar to the endless questions on digitakt 1.5 , if the slice positions can be editedā€¦

1 Like

But are the slice positions in 1.50 class compliant?

3 Likes