New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

True, it’s a little schizophrenic in design.
I wonder if at some point it was going to be more like a groovebox, and there was a slight shift in direction

1 Like

Really liking the less blinking lights, and smaller screen. Find in some cases they really cause issues for me, like the Rytm Mk2 lights and screen i wish were dials and maybe a small number data screen like the SH-4D

1 Like

I personally think it has been designed with a groovebox workflow (it functions just like electribe), but then they’ve purposely held back with certain features so it doesn’t step on the toes of the MC-101/707, and called it a synthesizer to justify the missing features.

4 Likes

Roland did massive V2 (and even V3) updates on their products like the TR8S and the 404- I suspect this will be the same.

1 Like

Yes hopefully this will evolve over time, but as they say - buy it for what it is now.

I don’t want to come across as negative pointing out all the cons, but I think it’s important people know as the synthfluencers certainly won’t tell you all the flaws. I really do like it, and will keep it for sure. In terms of form factor and usability I think it’s the best ZenCore-based product yet. It’s fun to use, which is one of the most important things for me.

I’m just setting up my camera right now to record a jam with a pattern I made on the sofa last night :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really want to play with one but just know, in my own personal experience with Roland boxes, it’ll be fun at first and then quickly fade to the background and I’ll sell it.

I’ve kept my TR8S and the two little boxes, T8 and J6. Plus I have a Boutique TR9 and SH01a

I’ve had multiple 707s and a 101 at a point. But those came and went. I feel like the the SH4 will be rad, then not rad.

Aghhhhhh but I so want to play with it :metal:t4::metal:t4::metal:t4:

3 Likes

After “sustained” reading on this topic, I might get a used one later just to check it out.

2 Likes

Same feeling here. No doubt it will be fun and quick and sound good, but also annoying and limiting.

FWIW, I canceled my pre-order when I realized its inability to just save sounds inside a pattern means I’ll be too annoyed to use it regularly anyway.

1 Like

Anyone figured out why the 2 encoders under the screen are “clickable” (you can press them down like buttons)?

I’ve yet to find a single place that they are used, even in the name/text entry page they do nada

It lets you move through menus/settings in larger increments

1 Like

Quick jam. Hoover comes in at 3.55

3 Likes

Shift + turn does that, but pressing it down and turning seems to do nothing in all the places I tried it

Doesn’t matter, it’s a small thing

Is it in stock anywhere in the EU?

It doesn’t work everywhere, strangely

Whoa… Roland updated the MX-1 compatibility list to include the SH-4d…

:grimacing: :fuelpump: :fire:

5 Likes

I love the mx-1 so much. Easily one of my favorite pieces of gear!

4 Likes

Yeah the MX-1 is great. Especially with all the AIRA stuff I have. I definitely underuse its features though. It’s more like a set and forget mixer and conveniently also an audio interface when the computer is on. :smiley:

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

A few more minor niggles (then I promise I’ll stop)

• I wish there was a direct 1:1 button to access each part, rather than it being behind shift
  • Same goes for the mixer page, it’s buried behind the pattern screen, wtf.
  • It’s a fussy about USB power, I tried putting it though one of my USB noise isolators and it causes a random power cuts. Understandable really.
  • Wouldn’t have killed Roland to include more filter modes & slopes, I’m hopeful some might get added later (shift + turn the filter type knob)
  • The WT engine is a little underwhelming (needs more tables, and maybe an extra env and LFO). HydraSynth killer is this most certainly not!

Overall I love the sounds this things makes, which is the most important thing!

1 Like

That already adjusts the filter velocity sensitivity :slight_smile:

Try the Shift + Amp knob too :wink:

Filter type would probably be added to a menu, but I agree it feels a bit tight of them not including them as they are there for all the other ZenCore based products.

1 Like