New Teenage Engineering products

I am also wondering this. Does it only play samples or can it function as a regular speaker

actually looking through the specs it looks like they do have dedicated frequency ranges.

so that won’t work for me, I would consider a pair, but I can’t spring for all 8 haha that’s just wild.

Edit: upon further inspection there is some serious frequency range overlap so buying two might be possible still, just not sure how it would work in practice. likely best to just get the OB-4 lol
they have 4 hour battery life anyway.

tbh this would be a nightmare for me to own,
8 new pieces of equipment that look great, but only have 4 hours of battery life. Thus all require a power cable (and likely a psu of some sort).

phew you honestly have to be a different kind of well-off to maintain peace of mind with all that going on.

1 Like

The dolls do not function as bluetooth ‘speakers’ AFAIK, they just have a voice synthesizer that can be played via MIDI or by itself.

1 Like

It looks like they are all usb C but yeah you would be using a full USB hub to charge 8 of them, but also I am not sure if you can even actually use them as just regular speakers.

This is fucking genius.

5 Likes

I take TE’s product lines as such-

If someone wants to pay not too insane prices for this stuff and it goes towards making solid stuff like the POs and OP lines, it’s not insultingly useless like other “audiophile” foolishness.

I want a synth from Designers Republic.

3 Likes

And I will say it time and time again:

OB-4 is a really dope Bluetooth speaker that sounds great and the gimmicks, while I don’t use often, are quite fun.

I look forward to the Techmoan review :laughing:

1 Like

The choir is so very weird…

1 Like

Yeah, this for me kind of hits the design as art sweet spot… so the price doesn’t really seem weird, heck someone might spend 500$ on a nice designer wood sculpture with out any of the technology inside.

Funnily I think their other recent design triumph is the design for the Panic Playdate, thing is built super well… feels great for the price.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the TE office chair.
Got a crank, and FM transmitter, and a spring base, looks kinda like a child’s booster seat, but miniaturized so you can only fit 1 ass cheek on it.

Price TBD (doesn’t matter what the price is….you’ll pay it)

2 Likes

remind me of these concepts. hope these can be used as regular speakers!

3 Likes

14 years ago, before OP-1, they made this…

7 Likes

It’s a curio, no need to get bent out of shape over it lol. You’re not forced to purchase it. I think it’s cool but again, won’t buy it. I wouldn’t have bought it if they were $50 a piece either. But there’s no reason to get upset over it lol.

You’d be surprised by how much interesting and weird but very pointless and expensive things exist out in the world.

3 Likes

inspired by eran Hillelis work, no? :orange_heart:

must have App tho :dagger:

4 Likes

Wow. I want to play with these for a few hours. Then be done. Someone buy them and rent to me for a day

1 Like

It’s the other way around. If people buy toyish crap, someone will try and make a living off it by producing more.

1 Like

That app is pretty enchanting… I spent an afternoon just humming with that app and it was marvelous

1 Like

A reminder about our guidelines …

Don’t think it explicitly states anything about calling someone a
complete wanker
or
a piece of shit
but, let’s just say it’s implicitly unacceptable in any context, so the little playground fight (an accurate summary alas) which erupted here has resulted in a couple of detentions

Use the Flags, don’t fight with trolls

10 Likes