New Teenage Engineering products

Don’t they already have a tape recorder? I thought that was the whole premise of the op-1?

1 Like

Ha you beat me to it.

Im guessing OP-Z F next year and mic and field recorder this summer

1 Like

id say the tape recorder for op-1 is more in lineage to portastudios/composition tape recording

whereas im guessing this one would be more like a tape style field recorder where you recorder your whole performance on

the cm-15 as a separate mic has thrown me off a bit though, there is definitely going to be some weird overlap with these 3 if the tape recorder also has a mic; since the tx-6 can now record to usb.

1 Like

I love the specs!

self noise:
14 dBA = good enough for almost all situations except for quiet environments, probably not good enough for capturing quiet ambiences
It can handle extremely loud sounds tho (based on the specs)

But this thing is gonna be expensive :confused:

£876.66 ex VAT price im getting online

1 Like

Tape recorder and OPZ Field confirmed… maybe even a DAW for it all?

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I always get a giggle when videos of gear reveals start by mentioning that the product comes in a “durable box that can be used for storage”. I mean what’s the alternative? A plastic bag? A box that explodes upon removing the product?

5 Likes

The fact that the tape recorder is mentioned twice…

Also the example with tape recorder and OP-Z is called field jam. Very suspicious.

5 Likes

LoL, in the case of TE, yes, they sell plastic bags for their products. And don’t you give them any ideas with exploding packages.

3 Likes

Operator Studio. Subscription based, 8 tracks, no VSTs, 89.99 a month.

1 Like

A tub of pudding would be nice.

2 Likes

I think you mean “FIELD” Studio :wink:

1 Like

Im not up with TE rumours, are you all expecting actual physical tape, or something like a six track digital recorder to plug the mixer into?

i think it will be a digital recorder which simulated the characteristics and mechanisms of tape similar to the op-1

whether it does it with a screen (most likely) or motorized reels (unlikely) is unknown, but i believe it will be marketed as the master recorder to record all of other field items including the mixer

We will have to wait and see about multitrack but i hope it is

2 Likes

Oha!

1 Like

love mini cassettes! have a little mini player somewhere in my attic thats probably broken

I dont believe the tp-7 will use any real tapes or analog components, but i think it will simulate it very well like the op-1

I do love the idea of tape recorder - however I hope it also serves the function of an actual field recorder too! Now I have doubts haha - I presumed it was simply a field recorder to roam around taking recordings for samples

TE might as well just start making euros

They could easily charge €300 per euro…

4 Likes

if it’s not multitrack then that’s a huge step back imho

tx already records stereo with unlimited length
op1 and op1f can both record 4 tracks

it’s gotta be either 4 tracks with extended length (beyond op1’s abilities) or it needs at least 8 tracks

2 Likes

What is this?

The ad looks like a joke