#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

near Boston, MA/USA
Any other new englanders here?

2 Likes

yup, i’m in somerville.

2 Likes

Alright, first GAS attack of 2022. Minor but still. @DimensionsTomorrow as a fellow orchestral VST hoarder will understand me, I’m sure. So Spitfire Audio just released a ”new” and cheap (29€) cinematic ”frozen strings” library. Right up my alley, probably would’ve been an instabuy if not for this thread. The thing is I’ve got several of fairly similar intimate strings libraries from both Felt Instruments and indeed Spitfire Audio.

Why I’m calling it ”new” is that there’s already a free Spitfire Labs instrument called Frozen Strings which does some of the same things as the new one, I believe it’s even recorded in the same space. And although the samples themselves might be new (I am a little suspicious of that tho), it’s the exact same product packaged in a new way (and that’s probably stretching it).

Long story short, instead of coming up with reasons to make the purchase, after the initial ”this seems nice” my mind started going into the other direction: why I just don’t need it. So at least for now I’m safe.

7 Likes

I think you’ll prove your own, initial pessimism wrong… The force is strong with you…

2 Likes

Baby steps, baby steps… This one was fairly easy to fight off.

But thanks! (As far as pessimism, and to answer your other question: I’m from Finland.) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

For some odd reason, we never hear about Finland, down here in Denmark. But I have a very old love for 22 Pistepirkko :black_heart:

3 Likes

I’m in Detroit, MI, U.S.A. (in the city of Detroit, close to Hamtramck for anyone who knows the area).

4 Likes

I’m having some weird thoughts here, not GAS but some kind of a brutal inversion of it.
I’ve been thinking a lot about what’s been discussed here on this thread, mostly about mental well being and creativity.

There is no doubt in my mind that too much gear is making it hard for me to focus on making music, AND when I don’t get anything done I feel like a moron for having all that gear around. Like an absolute tourist to be precise.

Therefore I’m thinking about selling some of my synths.
Maybe A4, Perfourmer and Wavestate would find a better home somewhere else since I rarely make music with them.
It would leave me with Syntrx, Minikorg 700fs, Matriarch, MnM, MD and OT.
Jeesus Christ, thats still a lot of synths but I can’t think of letting any of those go.

This must be super interesting to everybody lol. :rofl::ok_hand:
Any thoughts?

5 Likes

I have thought about this a lot. Sell some gear to focus more. If you don’t need the money just box them up. Because after a while you may regret selling what you first thought it was amazing so bought it… just keep it boxed out of sight and don’t think about it (I know that’s hard but you can do it) I did this exact same thing and it was liberating.

6 Likes

Thoughts? MnM, MD, and OT are more than enough.

5 Likes

That’s the way I’ve mostly handled it this far.
It’s just that each of the ones I listed as keepers are SO deep that its hard to see myself needing or even wanting something more in aeons.

Still I’m afraid I would regret selling those synths big time.
You have a good point there and I kinda wish you didn’t. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For making music, absolutely. But none of them is really immediate like the analog synths I mentioned.

I think I’ll sell the A4 and Wavestate and keep the Vermona since I do love it dearly.

4 Likes

Ha yes, also. If you sell Synths you have got money to spend… that would stir up GAS big time (noted for myself…) and when you have bought those Synths new. You get a lot less money for it. That would be a waste…

2 Likes

San Francisco Bay Area, California.
spiritual home (love that) is my hometown of Washington DC.

SF is a techy place. there are quite a few gear lending libraries here. If I weren’t such a weirdo I would use them :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Damn, more solid points. :joy:

It’s just that like I’ve stated before, this thread has hit a nerve with me and made me look at my situation more honestly and I’m quite appalled by how bad this gear hoarding has gotten.

I’m trying to recover my self-respect by putting things in order and I don’t know if its a bad mistake or not.

As for Joebas’ question I’m from Rauma Finland, a small harbour town on the west coast.

8 Likes

I have thought of this too. I work well with extremes and hard edges (or, more realistically, I am very bad at moderation and ‘good enough’). Either exercising and dieting like a demon, or cramming chocolate and lard down myself and sitting on my ass. Drinking a litre of spirits a day, or sober as a judge (for 13 years now). On the face of it, selling things I don’t need and putting them out of mind should be perfect for me creatively, due to the strict limitations.
Buuuut, then I have money and GAS strikes! Even if not for music gear I could find other things. In a weird way maybe it’s better to have too much gear and feel bad about it, if you want to keep GAS at bay. It’s an insidious beast for sure…

5 Likes

I am sorry but I’ve been in same situations a couple of times and yes I am disgust how I got carried away and spend money like water. That is bad…. So this thread came at the right moment for me as well. As bonus, we help eachother and that is great.

Edit: pro tip… just keep this thread open all the time and do not… I repeat do not go to the main page with all the threads lined up. I did that yesterday and was allready carried away by new news, for sale, etc. That is dangerous

4 Likes

Woah, I’m originally from Rauma. Bred and born there, moved to Turku to study animation when I was 23. I still visit Rauma to see my mother and my mother in law every now and then.

2 Likes

Oh yea lol thanks for reminding me. This has to be the year! :muscle:t4:

1 Like

Yes, that all sounds very familiar!
Some kind of an on/off personality or something. Everything on full blast or nothing.
It’s tedious and very limiting if it’s not kept at bay.

Congrats on your soberness!! That is really cool!!
I haven’t had a drink in 8 years now.

Financially the world seems so chaotic these days that having some money tucked away wouldn’t hurt in terms of peace of mind tho.

2 Likes