Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

On my last record I have several tunes where the Mono is the only sound source. I sold it before I started compiling tunes and it made me miss the Mono. Pretty darn unique. I’d buy a Norand drum machine for sure! I’ve considered their eurorack module, but have yet to pull the trigger.
The first two tracks on this record are all Mono, sampled into OT or M8. Lots of other NM basses and leads on this record too.

3 Likes

Same here. Can’t say I’d fully mastered all the 1.99 key combos and reading the various release notes for V2.x I was fearful of having to learn a bunch more (as well as trying to work out if the behaviour was ‘as expected’ or a beta bug or whatever.

I don’t want to be jumping between manuals and release notes when I’m working. I want to get into my flow.

Anyway, pre-empting the formal V2 release I bought a new set of knobs for it off Norand (original ones were horrid) and had a wicked session with it last night. Made me think about getting into the late stage beta…

How is it working out for those of you that have successfully updated it?

1 Like

About the new knobs, in what way are they better? I’ve seen videos and all but didn’t notice anything particular about them.

Time to post these, I guess:

And this one for the sake of completing the series (although I already posted it earlier)

2 Likes

I’m also curious about the knobs. How does one know if one has old knobs or new? Where does one order them and what do they cost?

man that duophonic vid sounds so bad. i know it’s a tutorial rather than a demo but it sounds awful. :hear_no_evil:

Ha ha, yes, I quite agree. As a matter of fact there are really few demos I liked from them. They usually don’t do it justice.

1 Like

yea it’s capable of sounding much better

1 Like

The old knobs were metallic and slippery and sharp on the edges and I really didn’t like the irregular shape with that bevel / slope. Just like, not inviting for me at all.

The new ones are slightly taller, more grippy and a regular shape all over. The LED is more visible too.

Never thought I’d be one to moan about a knob profile let alone buy a replacement set but I didn’t think twice about ordering a new set when I heard about them.

4 Likes

Oh, I emailed Norand about them. They got straight back and the knobs made it from Paris to London in 3 days. Very happy. Now where’s the new firmware??

1 Like

Ooooh now I wanna get new knobs. Were they difficult to install? Are the knobs hard to take off?

Thanks. Care to share what they cost? [Edit: also, how easy was it to swap them?]

Definitely. I’m trying to sell a Morphos, and the official demos are working against me…! I’m thankful I saw enough in the Mono demos to go ahead with my purchase. (Probably third-party videos.)

I no longer believe any promises with a date on them. It happens when it happens. Norand is not the worst offender in this respect. I have a useful Eurorack module whose manufacturer has been teasing a major update for several years now, most lately this week.

1 Like

It was about £24 including courier and taxes. Easy to swap them, you just need to pull the old ones off and pop the new ones on.

It feels like a new synth. Literally.

2 Likes

Nope. Some were quite persistent but I managed fine with just finger and thumbs.

1 Like

Wow, I gotta try this! The knobs are cool but it’s true they’re too angular and hard to grip at times. I can see new knobs making all the difference!

There’s a new Beta, folks. They reckon two weeks before formal release…

2 Likes

It’s update time! (at last :sweat_smile:)

https://community.norand.io/t/mono-firmware-v2-0-thread/31/192

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

There is a typo in the instructions. The first bullet point in Step 3 says “Boot mono in the secondary bootloader by holding [PATTERN] and [RUN] and powering the unit.” It should say “by holding [TEMPO] and [FUNC]”. (Argh.)

3 Likes

I’ll give it a run tonight!
Thank you!

2 Likes