Nord Drum 3 & 3P

It’s definitely affecting the Pads. Beware Local Off gets reset to On each time you power cycle the device (like on my Minibrute). I guess that’s an effort to reduce support requests because of “broken” pads but I find it annoying.

1 Like

Dammit, Local Control On/Off affects the knobs as well as the pads. I can’t even change drum kits with local off. So far, though, it doesn’t seem to be a problem to rest a keyboard stably across the pads with local on.

1 Like

Any of you 3P owners have a cover/decksaver recomendation? Or just let it get dusty?

When it’s on a stand and not in a drawer: small towel (seriously . . . Probably my subconscious being used to putting a towel on a snare during certain recording/practicing)

1 Like

Thanks. I’m a none drummer. Or maybe I’m learning?! I bought it for the sound and the midi control, but I have to be honest, it is a tactile little thing, and I set the pads up for hand drumming, and I love it.

I got some cheap sticks from Amazon, but I only used them once cos they seem to leave marks straight away. Maybe I need some dark sticks? They use red ones in all the videos.

Any stick advice for a total novice?

1 Like

I’d get a variety pack and see which ones you like best - I’ve literally never seen a 3p without stick marks, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You bought it to play it, not as an investment or something to look at right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

good point!

Since I’m resting a keyboard on top of my 3P’s pads, I’m technically using a Sequential Prophet X as a dust cover.

2 Likes

I was so encouraged by Kennymester’s solution that I had to try it myself.

So I ordered some precut aluminium sheets and thought that a drill is all I would need.

Took all screws off the 3P and desoldered the very short wires to the pads.

Did a horrible job on trying to make the different sized and shaped holes :wink:

All ports accessable. The small MIDI DIN screws were the most difficult.

Put some foam pads on the bottom, because I couldnt find thick rubber pads so far.

And screwed it all back together.

It won’t win any beauty prices but its nice to touch and use.

If you just have a drill or a dremel at home I would not advise to try it like that. Better create a CAD drawing and let some mashine shop do it properly or use more suitable tools than I did.

My plan is to create a detachable cable from the pads to the 3P. So it can be used with pads if needed.

17 Likes

Great job!

Update us when you’ll do the detachable cable mod! I was thinking of doing the same thing, using something like 8P8C connector, just like on the ND2.

Ello - Is anyone using the ND2 editor with Bitwig and midiloop?

I’m totally stuck on my settings… Can’t get the ND2 to respond at all.

Yes, I RTFM

Cheers,
Jim

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Gibraltar 6713E would be a good choice as a stand for playing the ND3 while standing up?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/gibraltar_6713e_electronic_mount_stand.htm

I wonder about the height and the solidity when hit live.

Don’t really know aboout the Gibraltar but I went for the Roland PDS-20. Veeery sturdy.
Highly recommended. :+1: :grinning:

2 Likes

Godshake, for the price they sell this -it’s just a stand- i hope it is sturdy :wink:

I bought the Gibraltar stand and it’s perfect, solid, stable, good height to play standing and one can orientate forward/backward at will.

So i’ve received the ND but i’m facing a huge issue: the outputs are noisy as fuck. I knew there used to be an issue with noise and reverb but even with no reverb, the floor noise is -76 Db, that’s definitely too much.
Headphones are outputs are usable but i don’t really wanna end up having to use them.
Anyone else confirms the terrible floor noise from the outputs or is it a faulty unit?
I’m on firmware 1.24.

EDIT: my bad, one cable was the culprit.

5 Likes

Sound design noob question: in several attempts to make patches, i find my self having clicky noise/sound on the attack.
I lowered max click parameter and noise and i’m desesperatly trying to find where it comes from.

Any idea?

I guess that means click level, so have you tried changing the click type? Maybe a ‘P’ type?

1 Like

Yes i did but it’s not that parameter - tried everything - quite frustrating.

Maybe something with the Wave or Spectra and their envelopes

So the factory drums are all OK? You’re making sounds starting from factory drums unless there’s some init function I don’t know about. I’d just say watch closer for when any clickiness starts creeping in.