Nord Drum 3 & 3P

Hey @danielgosling
saw your post today. Yes, you can record your ND3 drumming on your Elektron device and then play the recorded triggs in the ND3 using the blokas Midihub. You need to seperate CC and Note messages to get it work. Therefore you need MIDI processing.

See in my post how I did exactly this.

3 Likes

Hey @blipson,
also for you it might be an interesting option to think about MIDI processing. You can turn your ND3 local controll off and send back only CC messages. Then note messages of your pads donā€™t trigger the device. I used the blokas Midihub for this. Other MIDI processing devices should work too.

Look here:

That turns off the buttons and knobs as well, which I donā€™t want to do. Iā€™ve found that minimizing the sensitivity and maximizing the threshold results in no false triggers from the gear resting flat across the pads.

No, all buttons and knobs still work when you loop back MIDI CC messages. And the pads donā€™t trigger if you filter MIDI Note messages. This is exactly what I do with my ND3.

This way I can play some Digitakt audio channels (or other synths via its MIDI channels) with the ND3 pads while the Digitakt sequencer plays the ND3 sound engine.

2 Likes

I got a Nord Drum 3p and Nord Drum 2 last week, a decent price on both of them. I think they sound absolutely incredible! There are pros and cons to each, I love the size of the 2, but the 3 has some convenient features. I love the Erica LXR-02 and other digital drum machines out there, but sound wise, I think these are as good as anything that exists.

Seeing the 3p going for 1199 new at a lot of stores now! What in the worldā€¦

1 Like

theyā€™ve always been too much, but yeah these days crazy prices

The NDā€™s sound so crisp and lively.
And the presets are brilliant! I must admit Iā€™ve almost exclusively just tweaked whatā€™s already there in the memory. Thatā€™s sound design enough for me.

2 Likes

Thomann Germany: 649ā‚¬. Thatā€™s +10% compared to last yearā€¦ Thatā€™s not above reasonable increase of these times

Yes the increase in January. I placed my order to a shop, they told me last piece was just gone. Then price increased :sweat_smile:

A month ago, i needed to fill the tank of the car and the petrol station refused my card somehow.i thought i could wait a day or two. Overnight the liter took 20 cts/liter. Bit out of luck these days :smile:

Back on the topic the ND3 is a nice synth engine but i would not pay 1200US for it.

2 Likes

Quick question : is there a software equivalent ? I really like the sound of the ND 3p and the acoustic quality it has, some of the sounds seems like really good physical modelling.
Do you think a VST like Chromaphone 3 might be as good in term of responsiveness and acoustic ā€œfeelā€ of the sound than the ND 3p ?

I think that Chromaphone can get you far, but itā€™s still apples and pears. I like the ā€˜complexity made simpleā€™ aspect of the ND3. Chromaphone is a complex beast, (maybe too) many options, including responsiveness, sometimes hard to find a sweet spot. ND3 has a character of itā€™s own, where the palette of Chromaphone stretches way, way father.

1 Like

Regarding the first posts images, are those prototype concepts? Because I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a ND3 without pads. Is there a standalone version Iā€™ve completely missed?

The pad-less version was shown in early official product announcements as the 3Pā€˜s sibling. Not sure if it was even presented at some trade show. But then it was quietly cancelled pre-launch. :cry:

1 Like

Iā€™ll just go ahead and fire up the Nord losing focus thread

3 Likes

Good idea, not sure the 3P and Nord are still worth it in 2022, though :nerd_face:

1 Like

with the recent Syntakt hype, it crossed my mind that the concept seems like a ā€˜best of both worldsā€™ between the Digi form factor and ND-esque digital percussion soundsā€¦ maybe i could trade my ND2 and Digitakt for a Syntakt? But in all the demos so far, I just canā€™t really get into Electronā€™s digital drum sounds. They always feel kind of hollow and plasticky, like thereā€™s a bandpass filter over everything.

To my ears, my ND2 has a punch and crispyness that MC, MD, and DN drums somehow canā€™t match.

(Buuuut Iā€™m still quite interested to try out a Syntakt in-store and see if routing those kind of plasticky/flat perc sounds through the analog fx bus makes up for the difference)

1 Like

Same here. I would get the Syntakt for one purpose only: live drumming via my Zendrum controllersā€”the rest is gravy. One Syntakt could replace two ND 3Pā€™s, save me a lot of space, be more convenient to program, etc. But those Elektron sounds just canā€™t substitute for Nordā€™s. Iā€™ll probably get a Syntakt to try it out when available, but at beast itā€™ll end up taking up more space rather than saving space.

I have a nord drum 2 but I sorta wonder if it woulda been better to get the 3p for the reverb and delay? Hrmm.

Another question about the pads sensitivity for hand drumming : sometimes I read they are not that great and sometimes people say they respond very well to the slightest touch, itā€™s a bit confusing. So, to give me an idea, how would you compare their sensitivity with the pads of a Push 2 for example (which are really good for fingerdrumming)?