Nord Drum 3 & 3P

I haven’t used the Push but I found the hand drumming on the 3P to be pretty accurate and responsive. Not sure if that’s helpful to you though.

1 Like

Nah. It’s pretty frustrating cause it’s almost there but it’s not enough for me. I mean it is doable but forcing the hits, you don’t get all the ghost notes. I would not buy it for that simple reason.
You can always set the sensitivity to full but then some notes are triggered without any intervention.
Some folks seems to do quite good stuff with it though: https://youtu.be/HD-9xBohFVY
Still, once you have it and rewatch that video you can understand he is forcing on the hits and would get a better result with slightly improved sensitivity. It has a hands mode but i don’t see no change with it.

1 Like

Agree. For me, the sensitivity doesn’t work great for hand drumming either. Too much force required no matter the settings. The pads are made for drum sticks.

@Muu
Integrated reverb and delay are nice, but I wouldn’t sell the ND2 for something you can mostly add externally. Or maybe, sell it at the current high price and get a much cheaper used ND3 without losing too much functionality (unless you need the external triggers).

I also had kind of hoped the Syntakt would have sound design possibilities closer to the ND, although the Elektron sound (if there is such a thing) is quite different from Nord‘s. But, well, since they have all lost focus and/or their magic touch, what can you do? What gives, Sweden? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Better collect them all, I guess…

2 Likes

It’s not sensitive enough for hand drumming, let alone finger drumming, which is a must-have for me.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your replies but in the end it’s the same, some say it’s responsive, others say it is not.
I think the only solution would be to try myself and videos like this one show that it might still be usable with hands (no I’m not stubborn) : Playing melody with hands |  NORD DRUM 3P - YouTube

Let’s say it this way: You can fingerdrum and you can get results that fit in your performance. I like to play rhythm patterns by hand and record (and quantize :blush:) them on the DT which always seems to result in more dynamic patterns then step programming.

But I have to say that I don’t feel to have control over the full 127 levels of velocity. It feels a bit more precise using drum sticks. But I’m no drummer and be much better in hand drumming. I think you can get into it.

1 Like

Well, of course it’s possible to use by hand. But I feel I have better control over velocity even on a Rytm. Not to speak of very nice pads like a NI Maschine.

1 Like

I use the 3p only with sticks. It’s fantasticks. :sweat_smile:
The bouncy pads with high sensitivity setting is great for rapid base drum beats or snare/hi hats.
Was at first a bit disappointed and hoped for better finger drum action but
have so much fun with sticks. And learning to play is also great for stress management.
One of my all time best buys.

5 Likes

So a little update : I bought a used ND3P, in near mint condition (for less than 450 euros, I don’t want to brag but I think I got a good deal), and it’s reaaaaaaally responsive. Sometimes I feel like I’m playing real percussion with it.
And to answer my own question : for fingerdrumming or hand drumming, it’s not the same as the Push 2. I always like fingerdrumming on tables or other hard surfaces and I’d say it’s the same feeling. So for me, that’s even better because you can have good nuances with the tip of your fingers and the nails that you can’t have with the Push 2. The only concern is that it leaves marks on the pads but I think it’s made for that.

Also I wanted to add that playing the ND3P, and not just sequencing it, takes it to a whole other dimension, I see people complaining about the pads but I think it’s what makes the ND3P shine.

17 Likes

Nice thats what i sold it for and im searching for one for two weeks now!!

I am also looking at picking one up- I was waiting to see if anything new was coming at Superbooth, but it doesn’t seem likely- the Nord Drum was really successful and highly regarded when it was released in 2016 (also the last time they updated the firmware!) so I half thought there may be a new one… but I guess if it works as it is and maybe ‘that’s it’ from Nord (and it will become a classic!)

Hey, did you have any luck in creating a detachable cable for the pads?

Hi all!
Question, I’m using my Push to trigger the Nord and noticed that I can’t reach the red peaks on the Nord. Is that due to it being limited via Midi and therefore fine, or is it limited via a setting and should that be taken off? Sens or Thresh do not do anything. I want to make sure that a hard slap on the push translates.

Maybe your Push is sending out a relatively low velocity value?

Yeah I would check the Push pads sensitivity settings too.

Some good and unusual Nord Drum performance on this guys youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/JannisLeWolff/playlists

3 Likes

Damn you for reactivating my never ending perfourmer GAS - if I don’t hear it, it doesn’t exist!

2 Likes

Special machine the ND is.

Very special, in my opinion. I wouldn’t hink anything can replace it, it’s feels to me very organic, and it’s sounds really shine when playing with other instruments, I love it!

1 Like

Love this guy. Case study in how not to have an annoying YT presence.

1 Like