Nord Drum 3 & 3P

I think the worst part about the 3P is that we’ll probably never see a Nord Drum4 because of how ridiculous expensive Nord made the 3P. (700,- now!)

Here’s a bstock for 600,- if anyone is interested.

3P’s are $1200 USD in the US currently… which is why thomann wont ship to the US per Nord…

Luckily I finally found a used one for $575 shipped :laughing:

1 Like

It is crazy how much they increased in price. I got one at $700 with a plan to get a second one for a compact drum set and then the price jumped to $1K. Ended up ordering the second one from across the pond for cheaper than my first one … basically got 2 for the price of one with the current 3P now $1200.

They do sound pretty magical. You can get a super realistic kit sounds or go wild with all sorts of Nord tones. The pads feel like the practice pad I had on my snare drum in high school band, which is good. Stick response feels good for my ancient drumming techniques. The sound generated from the stick velocity is very realistic.

3 Likes

across which pond did you find such a good price?

You can order them in the UK for around £550-580 at the cheapest retailers, seem to be about £600 on average.

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to why Clavia ditched the 3 and just released the 3P?

The images for the 3 module were up on the Clavia website for a short time and then disappeared rather quickly.

Andertons.

it lists as 599 GBP ( including VAT, 499 GBP (pounds) without VAT. I think if you import something under 800 USD, no VAT is required. Shipping is around 15 USD. No sales tax. No VAT. Came out to around 640 USD to the doorstep

There may be some warranty coverage issues but I considered since it was built to be hit with sticks, it could survive an Ace Ventura delivery. And considering I have never used a warranty in my lifetime, I don’t figure I should worry. Andertons does a test before shipping.

4 Likes

Pure speculation but Nord’s lineup is focussed on live professional performance - they don’t sell synth modules for their keyboards either - I suspect it’s a brand positioning and marketing thing as much as anything. They sell instruments, not sounds.

That doesn’t explain why they initially planned to do it and then didn’t… I could only add further layers of speculation on to that.

1 Like

Historically they have, just the last 5 years or so they’ve omitted them from their range.

A bit sad and odd.

Yea it’s quite possibly just focus on their part - it’s easier to target a demographic of touring musicians than try to target everyone.

But yea it’s just speculation!

In regards to stands for the 3P, I have the Gibraltar 6713E mounting stand and they are solid and well built stands for under $100. The 3P includes the mounting bracket that fits right into the stand.

I keep them tucked to each side of my main workstation when using gear to sequence them and then pull them out front and center when I want to bang on them. Saves desk space as well.

1 Like

I remember years ago being at a presentation with Roger Linn where Nord also showed up and heard the two talk in the background. Nord basically went sometime along the lines that they had no clue what to do next. I was kinda shocked by that and kept it to myself but maybe I’ve should’ve opened my mouth more back than. Now this was during the release of the Tempest so a long time ago. But if I look at the line up from Nord today I must conclude that they still have no clue what to do next besides driving up the costs.

Does Nord actually still stand on its own feet?

1 Like

In Poland you can easily buy brand new 3P for 650EUR (VAT included)

Should’ve yelled “NORD MODULAR 3!!!” across the room.

3 Likes

It’s one of the great mysteries, the 3 was even on retail sites.
I wrote to Nord several times asking but they ignored me every time…
Very Kraftwerk

Am I missing something? I have the Nord Drum 3P connected to my computer, and I would like to be able to control the parameters of each drum. Hence, I can’t use the global midi channel function since when I send a midi cc message using this mode, all drums are affected. However, when having each drum being controled by a separate midi channel, the Nord Drum 3P doesn’t send out midi notes when I’m playing it.

So how am I supposed to record a performance and then manipulate parameters of each drum separately? The only workaround that I can think of is to set it in global midi channel mode, record my performance, then switch off the global midi channel mode, have some function in my DAW that converts each recorded note into the correct midi channel, and then start manipulating cc values for each channel. This sounds extremely cumbersome.

There’s no Midi Thru on the ND3P (unfortunately). The Midi out allows the pads to play an external device for instance.

Im still missing my Nord drum 2 sooo much and regret it every day that I sold it.

Its one of the most unique sounding drum synths ever. It sounds like no other and is super expressive. If only the interface would be better.

1 Like

Have you tried the 3p and disliked it? I haven’t tried a 2 ever, but your description is what I would say about the 3p. I love it for these exact reasons.

No i didnt try it