Nord Drum 3 & 3P

From observation, the patch creating on the 3P seems slightly easier, since there is one less layer of shift function to access parameters.

It’s more like “press one button, turn the encoder”

I actually started deeloping/building my own midi controller for it which also included a sequencer (and knobs for every parameter)

But never finished it… as I had to sell it for financial reasons :confused:

1 Like

Hence, I can’t use the global midi channel function since when I send a midi cc message using this mode, all drums are affected. However, when having each drum being controled by a separate midi channel, the Nord Drum 3P doesn’t send out midi notes when I’m playing it.

Yeah, only Global mode sends midi notes. However, you can leave it on and set each pad to a different midi channel, then you can send CCs to each pad individually without affecting others. These days, I do it all the time.

2 Likes

Hey folks. I moved recently and have misplaced the mount that connects with the four holes on the bottom of the 3P. Is this mount a standard size, similar to Roland units? Without the mount, what is the best way to put this baby in a stand?

In a perfect world it would be a little higher than a regular snare stand.

Open to creative solutions. The main thing is that I don’t have enough desk space for it, but I’d like it to be easily accessible.

I really hope that someday Nord will come out with a Nord Drum 4 - done properly this time

3 Likes

Did you see the guy that is taking orders to mount the 3p in a wooden case and remove the pads? It’s further up in this thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, that’s a very cool project, but in my case I love the pads and how expressive they are, plus I am fortunate enough to have a Nord Drum 2 which meets my desktop module needs. (Excuse the cable clutter in the pic, I’m in the middle of rearranging stuff)

1 Like

What are the changes you wish for? Were you thinking without the pads?

Hey my understanding is that it’s a ‘Drum Pad Mount’, yup, that specific of a standard!

I actually modified a cheap VESA mount by drilling new holes in the mounting plate.

3 Likes

About the pads : The pads are a real treat to play. Acquiring some [physical] musical skills is something good for the mood, the body and the brain, whether you use them or not in your compositions. For me, playing on my 3P feels like a healthy habit.

If I had limited space, I would simply use my 3P pads as a table top to put a Digi/Syntxxxx on. Then you would just need to use elbow cables not to get in the way of the parameters of the 3P. The pads are very thin and it’s part of the design.

For me, the only real downside of the 3P is the internal reverb; it has a noisy tail. For instance, if you’d like to record a delicate hand percussion sound, you might have to use an external reverb.

Question : I want to have my Nord Drum 3P & Digitakt as my only-setup for musical creation and occasionnal live sets. I’d use the DT for concrete sounds, loops, field recordings and synth lines and the 3P for drums & tonal percussions. For the 3P, I’d like to be able to do live playing while DT sequences are running. That must be easy.
But eventually, I might decide to buy a RK-002 smart cable and MIDI controller (maybe a Keystep 37) so I could play 4 notes of polyphony with the DT (and maybe unload that so-called ‘scenes hack’). I also have Quadra Merge & Quadra-Thru MIDI boxes.
I heard that the RK-002 comes with useful features for live interaction between the 3P and the DT.

Is there any DT/3P user who has a similar setup?
Digitakt + Nord Drum 3P + (RK-002 & Keystep 37)

1 Like

I use my 3P with an Octatrack which will be very similar - works a treat! I even have the kick channel going to my Oto Boum for sidechain compression, the intensity of which is controlled by the velocity.

Because it’s an Octatrack I also have the audio coming in on a Thru channel which enables me to take control of the output too, filtering primarily. With the Digitakt you have the bonus of the compressor if you ran the audio in from the 3P!

I have no drum skills though - so far I’m mostly sequencing externally and doing the odd fumbling bash on the pads but I’m excited about it bringing a new expressive dimension to my sets. Being able to roll on some hats or whack a big gong is something that can work much better with physicallity.

You can see this setup in my more recent videos and how I make use of it:

3 Likes

More parameters, more hands-on control, separate outs, detachable pads, maybe one more voice (to be controlled with a kick pad)

1 Like

I really like the idea of more hands on control, approach it like an analog drum synth - I guess the problem there is that the product is primarily intended for working musicians that care more about it weighing less and having fewer things to break off than they do about being able to tweak things live.

Almost feels like what some of us might want is a seperate product, like a Nord Drum Studio

2 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

says it works for nord drum 3 as well.

13 Likes

Oh my…

Well, my heart says “instant purchase !” whereas my brain says "this is much more convenient anyway : https://nord-drum-editor.jimdofree.com/ " so… as always, don’t know what to do lol.

2 Likes

Clavia could kill it in the knob twiddler segment if a new ND had multiple outs, more hands-on control, trigger inputs (again) and the pads were optional/external (again). And if they were to add a solid sequencer to move it from “drum synth” to “drum machine” territory? Fuhgetaboutit.

But their focus seems more on musiciany musicians rather than the bleepy bloopers, so that will not happen. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great to view the ND as a tactile instrument in the more traditional sense (I got a ND2 with pads with that same intent in mind), just saying that Clavia’s drum synthesis game is so strong there’s a lot of untapped potential there.

It’s still a TODO for me to actually use my pads, but only because of space considerations in the time I’ve had it. Soon I’ll be able to set it up proper on a stand + kick trigger to get started on some feeble attempts at live playing.

2 Likes

I commented on the video and got a reply : if I’m willing to help testing it, he could implement a ND3 firmware. I said…Yes ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

About the Nord Drum 3P + Digitakt MIDI configuration : It seems like the 3P can only receive CC messages from the DT when I send them to their individual MIDI channels (1-2-3-4-5-6), but not when I’m using global MIDI channel 10. Is that normal behaviour or is there a way to work around ?

It doesn’t seem normal because with my Pyramid I can send CCs on the global channel to affect all the pads simultaneously. Have you tried to turn off the individual channels when you send CCs on the global one ?
I also know that my ND3P is sometimes a little capricious and doesn’t register the changes when I set the individual channels or the global one, I have to turn it off and on again, maybe yours has the same problem ?