Nord Drum 3 & 3P

Thanks everybody for the follow-up, much appreciated.

I was aware of the noisy reverb issue from day 1. So yes, I turned off the reverb on all my custom presets. But there was a hiss that was constant, whether the volume was set to minimum or maximum.

It worths mentioning that I was sending some sounds from the ND3 to a Shallow Water pedal. And to avoid clipping, I had to set the output level of the ND3 at around 60%. And to match the other sounds coming from the Digitakt, I was using its input level at max volume (127).

But I just found that thereā€™s a jumper inside the Shallow Water pedal that changes the impedance for line levels (PAD). Now, I can set the volume of the ND3 to the maximum level without clipping, and then set the Digitaktā€™s input levels around 60. Now itā€™s much less noisy. Not perfect but good enough.

So maybe the noise was mostly coming from the Digitaktā€™s input.

Short video on making 4 drums with the 3P

4 Likes

Nice! :nerd_face:

Iā€™ve been interested for awhile to see what ideas this community has about designing sounds on the 3p. Iā€™m pretty comfortable with the interface but always end up scrolling through presets and then adjusting them from there. Would love to build up a bank of drum sounds to pull from on the fly.

1 Like

Funny to see he is putting the sound from the tone section to just hear the click. There is a dedicated function to solo each section.

Presets are solid already.
And drum sounds are not something so custom usually (at least for me. Though itā€™s fun to process.
As for custom sounds, I spent some time making tonal percussions, gongs and basses patches.

1 Like

Anyone could recommend a case/sleeve for the ND3?
Iā€™m looking for something not so fancy just to put the device in before throwing it in a backpack. Iā€™ve been looking at laptop sleeves but it is is hard to know their real size since only the size of the screen is mentioned.
Iā€™m looking for a 340x310x70mm as cheap as possible so i can also carry it with the pole attached.

Had a Nord Drum 2 that I loved, and regret selling especially now that their prices have skyrocketed. I skipped the ND3 because of the reverb hiss issue. Iā€™ve been waiting for years now for the next iteration to come outā€¦

Cā€™mon NORD where is #4??

1 Like

Did the ND2 even had a reverb?
Because you can turn it off on the ND3.

No FX on the ND2 which was great in my opinion, easy enough to run it through external ones instead when needed

I personally do not use the global channels for triggering the the 6 sounds but only the seperate midi channels for several reasons:

• I can play sounds in different notes (without the need of CC messages to change the pitch)

• Thus I usually only need one channel for different toms and can also play non-percussive sounds that can be really nice on the ND3

• I do not have great percussion skills, but I often like to play percussive patterns by myself. This often makes them much more vital. Often I canā€™t play all of them in one take. I canā€™t ā€œoverdubā€ when playing in the global channels recorded via DT, but only replace. Overdubbing is only possible with individual channels.

2 Likes

On the 3P, you can turn off all the effects. But if you had one, Iā€™m sure you wouldnā€™t. Having distortion, delay and ringmod that can be applied to any sound is quite handy. And the pads are fun to use.

About the reverb : The tail is indeed gtichy; you can hear it when using headphones. I would avoid it in most situations, especially when using delicate sounds. But it might be ok with some styles of music like industrial, lo-fi hip-hop, 8 bit musicā€¦

2 Likes

Which reverb? All of em?

Iā€™m going to do some recordings today FOR SCIENCE 'coz I gotta be honest Iā€™ve used the reverbs on a number of the drum sounds and never had an issue - I use headphones for mixing. I will have used them in moderation because my expectation would always be low for a per-channel reverb on a drum synth, but for giving the sounds a bit of space they seem to work OK for my needs.

Theyā€™re gonna be low bitrate verbs tho, more Quadraverb than Supermassive

So you hear no glitchy artefacts when the sound dies out?
No need to record, just use some good headphones.
I have OS 1.24. What about yours?

Iā€™m not recording so I can hear it, itā€™s so I can post it hear for reference.

Any casual paser by would assume itā€™s completely unusuble, figured it might be good to have an actual example.

As I say Iā€™ve not noticed anything unpleasent when using them in context - but Iā€™ve never specifically looked for a problem and only used them in moderation - not doubting it to be true at all, they will have a low bit rate - Iā€™m just surprised to see folks treat the verb as a big no no.

Maybe I just didnā€™t notice something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed. I wouldnā€™t use it to record a delicate hand drum solo. But in most context, itā€™s ok.

1 Like

Yea that makes sense - Iā€™ve probably got too much going on in my mixes to even notice - I didnā€™t manage to get a recording today but Iā€™ll defintiely get some theyā€™ll be useful as a benchmark :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been experimenting with midi CC from the ND3 CC and the Digitakt. I found the reverb to be very usable when punching it in and out at specific moments by using the yellow trigs and A:B conditions.

1 Like

Yea Iā€™d also been using CCā€™s to sequence the reverb and delay sends - itā€™s nifty! I havenā€™t had the 3P out in a while actually (hence the lack of uploads I promised)

Are there any budget friendly kick trigger pedals that work with the 3P for occasional playing? Only ones I keep seeing are the Roland KT 09 and KT 10 pedals which are a bit steep for my taste.

2 Likes

Does someone tried to use an hi-hat pedal combined with Audiofront - eDRUMin to convert trigger to midi to have an hi-hat pedal and a kick one?