Nord Drum 3 & 3P

I hope you already have the EDrumIn with you: “Out of stock. More units expected by August 2023” :wink:

I have neither just living the dream :smiley:

1 Like

I scored a decent b stock deal on a 3p and it arrived today. I read countless times that it sounds so good and watched a lot videos and judging from the videos I was like „yeah, sounds decent“. Always wanted a drum pad to play on with sticks so I went for it and after playing around for a few minutes I knew it was the right choice. Sounds amazing and the variety is top notch!
Now I‘m seriously lusting for kick trigger pedal to improve the feeling of playing but unfortunately haven’t found any cheaper alternatives to the Roland pedals.

2 Likes

I picked up a Yamaha kick trigger to work with my 3P and it doesn’t work at all. Wondering if I bought a dud or if it’s that the 3P is only compatible with certain ones. Anybody know?

There’s sensitivity and threshold settings …

1 Like

Okay. I will RTFM. Thanks!

Which Yamaha? I have the KU100 which works great with the ND3.

HH65, I guess It’s a High Hat pedal, not a kick, lol.

1 Like

The kt10 is definitly on the expensive side but worth every penny !

3 Likes

I have no doubts about it but as I’ve made another expensive purchase recently I can’t go full in money wise so I’ll probably get the Yamaha pedal instead… Currently using it with a snare stand which works but it’s far from ideal so a proper stand is also on the list.

I saw a Waldorf xt clip this morning and thought to use bitwig and the ND3 as wavetable-like percussion :slight_smile: this is what I got

Edit: I think I understand the tag joke :slight_smile: @Diefenbaker

2 Likes

U should tag Buad
:wink:

2 Likes

I bought a KT-10 for my 3P and I realised that you really need skills to use it (!!).
Plus it’s noisy (for the neighbourgs). Otherwise, it’s very high quality gear.

1 Like

The horses 200 meters from my house never complained… :innocent:

My experience regarding the use of a kick pedal with the 3P: It really opens up many possibilities in terms of rhythms that I play on it, but I may be biased because I also play “actual” drums. At first I tried to convince myself that I’m going to figure it out without a pedal – to limited success (when trying to replicate patterns that are usually played on a kit with a kick drum, that is).

IMO it’s a pity, however, that you can’t assign the CH1 pad to trigger some other channel instead when a pedal is connected. For instance, having two pads triggering hi-hats (typically CH3) would be much more useful than both the connected pedal and the CH1 pad controlling the kick channel…

1 Like

I’ve had my Nord drum 3P for a couple of years and absolutely love the thing. However, whenever I change the kit/bank there’s a serious jump/lag that renders it almost useless for live performance where I need to go from one kit to another seamlessly.

@Blasted_pingin was kind enough to explain in another thread how to change the bank via midi from my Octatrack, but this hasn’t really solved the problem and it still takes half a second to change from one kit to another (although it has freed up one of my hands)

Does everyone else experience this or is it just me?

The 3P is indeed slow to update parameters. One also has to be careful automating the kinds of parameters that change the type or mode of something (reverb type, dist type etc) as that can lead to glitching sounds. For those it can be a good idea to change the parameter one step before triggering the sound when sequencing. Gets tricky when you’re working with long decay or reverb trails, of course. And you’d have to be creative about it in a live performance, I guess. Like, how about not changing the whole kit but sending CCs to each pad’s channel and more less incrementally switching all sounds. This could quickly become too much trouble to be worth it… certainly depends on how drastic the sound changes need to be. Just a quick idea.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting idea. I suppose with 10ccs available to me I could transform the sounds within a kit rather than changing the kit altogether. Sounds like an absolute pain but definitely doable. For any other instrument I’d just say it wasn’t worth the hassle but I love the sound of the Nord drum and it fits so well in my setup.

Thanks for the idea, I’ll give it a try!

That’s an option i was thinking about if i’d sequence in MIDI the ND3. Creating a kit to sequence each pad as a different sound that you can also mangle within the OT individually could be a great and effecient way to use the ND3.
You can save the sounds you like in the user presets before pasting them in a new kit, i think that would be the shortest way to create a new kit.

my review

18 Likes