Nord Drum 3 & 3P

still bummed they never made the 3 without pads (yh i know the mod)

2 Likes

You can use it as a tabletop for pedals & boxes. Itā€™s thin as an ipad.

2 Likes

I want more and more a 3P to go with my ND2, itā€™s half the price and I love that reverb that all the forum-goers hated upon release.

3 Likes

Yes was the threshold, thanks all

1 Like

would be so cool to rack this in a 60 hp Eurorack case

I had a ND2 when they first came out. Sold it for new things and regretted it since. Been on the lookout for over 12 months but opted for a new ND3 a month or so ago. I couldnā€™t be happier. The reverb is pretty cool for weird fx sounds and even on standard drum sounds it works well in the mix, I too donā€™t know what all the hate was about, unless an update fixed it.

I also prefer the 3 over the 2 now as the editing is easier, particularly one handed when playing a pad with the other hand. Also having the pads right there I means less hand movements when dialling in sounds.

Two things that bug me about it are:
The buttons. Much prefer the ND2ā€™s plastic buttons over the 3ā€™s rubber ones.

Global midi. Unless Iā€™m missing something you canā€™t send individual midi channels out to a sequencer. I can record all hits on one channel and can trigger on individual channels but it would be nice to be able to bang out beats on the pads and have the midi split between channels on my sequencer. I have workarounds though so not a blocker.

Last night a ND2 came up on eBay and it went for Ā£560, I was half tempted as previously I had set a Ā£600 limit but now I have the 3 I was happy to not bid.

1 Like

I have a 3P, love it. Used to have a Nord Drum though, and the ā€hateā€ for the 3P compared to Nord Drum and ND2 is mostly down to just one individual trig in, instead of four and six respectively on the previous models.

This is really no biggie for me, but if I was a live percussionist I would very much prefer something like four Roland pads on a stand and two pedals. I used to have pads and a pedal with my Nord Drum.

Also, it was great fun triggering my Nord Drum with the audio outs of a Behringer RD-6 (the 606 knock-off). Not to mention what could be done with a modular system with some logic modules, a Wogglebug or Source of Uncertainty etc.

I really like the sound of the 3P, especially the FM and physical modeling. Very inspiring little synth.

4 Likes

Yeah, good point. I have a kick pedal on the one trigger in and when I had the ND2 I did the same. I can see now though that the 6 triggers of the 2 would be very useful as youā€™ve described.

BTW, it might be worth it at least for those of you in the EU to check Swedish used instruments web sites for Nord/Clavia gear, as itā€™s usually a bit cheaper than on Reverb. Some pop up now and then on places like Vend.se and Blocket.se. Be wary of scammers though, avoid posting WTB ads.

1 Like

I think the reason for the rubber buttons is for a degree of cushioning from accidental drumstick hits.

1 Like

Iā€˜ve got a Nord Drum 3P coming as well now, found one second hand for a decent price, so letā€˜s see how it goes. Figured it could be fun practicing rhythm on it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yep. youā€™re correct. and making messy messes of beats into a looper.

1 Like

I have a friend in Madrid who I can ship EU stuff to. A cheap Nord Drum 3P would for nicely in the luggage of a return flight. :smiley:

OK, donā€™t expect bargain bin prices, but generally lower than some of the absurd listings Iā€™ve seen on foreign sites.

Just arrived from Andertonā€™s ā€¦ what a deal. Sounds really good! I was quite disappointed when I first plugged it in and heard the awful noise floor (drum tails/reverb) on my headphones. But ā€¦ the line outs sound great and I donā€™t notice any noise. Iā€™m not a drummer but I had a blast going through every preset with a pair of sticks for the past 4 hours!!! Now to hook it up to the Octatrack and get weird.

9 Likes

I just received my used Nord Drum 3P, and all is good, but unfortunately the seller did not include the screws for the base plate. Could someone with a set tell me what sort of screws go into the baseplate? I measured 5mm diameter, so I take it probably M5x8mm or M5x10mm?

EDIT: to answer my own question, the Nord Drum 3P baseplate attaches to the device via 4 M4x8mm screws (head shape doesnā€™t matter), just like the Nord Drum 2 and its base plate.

I mounted it on a Gibraltar stand, works well, and damn, hand drumming on this thing is FUN especially with the FM/bell-ish sounds (factory preset bank C). Loving it so far.

Now if someone has an eDRUMin module for sale to complement this, let me knowā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Makes me want the Nord Drum Pad for my Nord Drum 2. When I got my ND2 the same seller was selling another ND2 with the pads and I decided I didnā€™t want themā€¦ Regret!

1 Like

what would you do with this with regard to the 3p??

please help me daydream!

1 Like

For one Iā€™d like to try the pitch bending thing by sending CC31 via a pedal without sacrificing my kick pedal, but really the main reason is much less inspiring & directly related to the capabilities of the Nord Drum 3P: I wanna be able to use my FD8 hihat pedal in BFD3 together with the Nord Drum 3P as a super compact drum kit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Banginā€™ hard to all of your videos! Totally love them! Love your style and how you motivate me to jam on my ND3 today. :blush:

2 Likes