Nord modular G2 still worth it now that we have VCV?

I was considering picking up the nord modular G2 I figured that they wouldn’t be too pricey now and I already have an old Mac kicking around that works fine so I could run the editor indefinitely. I was shocked to see the prices for the G2 are still just as high as they were years ago. $1500 for the rack alone and I’m only interested in getting it if I have the physical, mappable synth/controller.

But with VCV rack having come so far and being so comprehensive is there any point in the Nord modular anymore? I’ve never actually had the pleasure of using one other than running the demo a million years ago when it first came out but with the 2nd hand prices being so astronomical and such a little amount of listings for them out there I’m assuming they’re still pretty beloved instruments.

What are your experiences/opinions on the NMG2?
What’s the point now that we have VCV rack?

1 Like

they sound completely different. not going to characterize either of the sound qualities but they do sound very different. people love the nord modulars and there’s a lot you can do with them. they’re not convenient for everyone though… and there’s always a chance a nord can shit the bed.

VCV is great. a zillion modules, eurorack-like interface. affordable etc etc.

fwiw the nm editor is very easy to map to anything. you don’t necessarily need the synth but it’s nice to have if you have the space.

try and find someone who has one and check it out… or watch all the nord modular videos on youtube.

as always, use whatever inspires you.

No need to stop at VCV when considering alternatives that follow the G2 in concept.

1 Like

This question crops up pretty frequently and there’s never a good answer. I bought a G1 rack and G2 engine for way below what they go for now, they’re still very much worth it for me and I would not consider selling them, but it’s hard to make the case if you’re just getting into it now.

In terms of VCV as a substitute to the Nords, they are very, very, very different. VCV is great, but I dislike the skeuomorphic interface and how easy it is to continually add new modules - the library ends up cluttered and you cycle through different modules rather than pushing as much as you can out of each one. But it’s free, so it’s hard to complain too much, and it might suit you better if you’re used to eurorack. Cardinal partially solves this problem by limiting you to stock modules and a few choice cuts from the library, so you have to patch more creatively instead of just downloading new modules to solve your problem.

The Nords have a better patching interface, more of an integrated system, and it’s easier to manage big patches at a glance. They’re limited to the modules coded in the DSP, so it forces you to patch your way into getting things like looping envelopes or chaotic modulators, and everything has a characteristic ‘Nord sound’ that I find very pleasing.

The closest software alternative and the best iteration on the basic concept is Bitwig Grid, but it’s still lagging way behind in terms of things like feedback patching or the mutator functions in the G2.

4 Likes

Soooo many. Some I’ve used:

• Jeskola Buzz, derivatives and frenemies (Buzé, Psycle, etc.)
  • Spiral Synth Modular
  • puredata (in hardware: c&g Organelle), max/msp, artsd, etc
  • Axoloti, which people keep threatening to clone or build alternatives to (there was even a design sketch I saw based on an FPAA —imagine building an analog synth in software)

There are a few others I haven’t used but consider part of the spectrum, like Reaktor and even Zoia.

Of all the options I’ve tried, VCV is the one liked the least. The UI just rubs me the wrong way. And like @estragon mentions, I do not appreciate the skeuomorphic design.

Personally, I would definitely consider a G2 rack unit. I’m happy with other junk I have in this department, but if a deal came my way I’d probably jump on it — especially if it was part of a trade for stuff I’m not using.

3 Likes

I think the other thing this depends on is your typical use case.

VCV can run as a plugin (if you use Cardinal or the paid Rack upgrade) and send/receive CV, so is a good option for using in DAW projects or augmenting an existing Euro setup, but it’s very resource intensive and I find I have to run it with a lot of latency. I would have low confidence about using it live.

The Nords need to be connected to a computer to patch them and don’t have much in the way of CV integration, but they have robust hardware MIDI integration and are very low latency when being triggered from something like an Octarack. There is a brief dropout when you switch patches but I usually get around this in a live situation with OT flex buffers or delay trails. I used my G2 live a few weeks ago with my laptop running the editor - even though the editor crashed it didn’t affect audio output at all, I just rebooted the editor and all was well. But it’s also approaching antique status at this point and plenty of people get nervous about bringing old gear on stage.

Don’t forget the obvious : you can play the G2 without computer.

2 Likes

Does the Nord modular software work on modern OS?

Drambo, with miRack as an AUv3.

drops mic :stuck_out_tongue:

A bit of a learning curve, but insanely powerful!

1 Like

There’s also Wren modular synthesizer

Inspired by the Nord Modular and developed much further. Windows and standalone only, and no hardware obviously.

3 Likes

Both great, but whenever I go back to the G2 it’s core sound has a unique quality; maybe it’s my audio interface, but the g2 somehow sounds fuller, richer. I much, much prefer the G2 editor to either miRack or Drambo - big screen compared to an iPad is maybe an unfair comparison, but trying to replicate say interacting sequencers on VCV / miRack is very messy compared to the G2,

Looks like 3rd party expansion boards for the G2 are still available! Pricier than when I got mine, but IMO still worth it if you have a G2.

The G2 headphone output is DC coupled so it can output CV and gate (need to invert and boost the signal for CV, but two modules do the trick).

1 Like

You could try the whole patching experience on the cheap with a Micro Modular first.
It’s a killer little machine and the G1 sound has a more direct, in your face nature compared to the G2.

1 Like

Don’t know about on Windows or Mac, but it runs fine under WINE on Linux (and presumably newer Macs).

Generally very similar to the NM patch environment, and also runs under WINE.

The main question is if you like using a computer to play music. If that’s the case then there is no real need for something like a Nord Modular.

But if you play synths etc physically with knobs, keys and whatsoever, and want a modular synth then the Nord is a very nice solutions. Although patching (connecting modules) is done via the computer editor, everything else can be done from the machine itself without a mouse. And that, for me, is a very big plus.

And as others stated, the editor is very friendly. VCV rack or many others don’t come close. Bitwig’s Grid comes close in my opinion (but is lacking dedicated hardware).

1 Like

…some rare soundesthetics from the nord modular planet might still be worth it…

but even with the big devive, all the magic happens in the virtual software editor in first place…
since u got that covered and hosted forever by a perfectly outdated old mac already, i suggest, u might wanna scan the 2nd hand world for that micro modular hardware, they released a little later…
that’s just a red metalbox in the size of two cigarettepackages with three or four knobs, one output and a midi in port…that’s it…and is the cheapest way to still get ur hands dirty on the first virtual modular synth system there ever was…

while surely, vcv and bitwig are the latest candidates to do that “same” thing, but in truu 21st century fashion…

On Windows you shouldn’t have any problem with either the G1 or G2 editor.

On Mac I can run the G1 editor just fine using the Stage Engine Wine compiled app.

Unfortunately the G2 editor doesn’t work with latest Mac operative systems. I use an old PC laptop for that.

1 Like

I bought a cheap (~$100) mini PC from Amazon to run the G2 editor and use MS Remote Desktop on my Macs and iPad to remote into it. Works great.
I’ve tried most of the modular software (and an Axoloti) mentioned above and even bought Bitwig for the sole purpose of replacing the G2. However, in the end, nothing can replace it for me. I just don’t enjoy using the alternatives and always fall back on the G2 even if it is more limited in some regards…some of those limitations are its strength. Almost 2 decades later (wow!) and I still get excited thinking of new ideas to patch in the G2. I would definitely recommend the keyboard version though (expanded). It’s the best software/hardware integration I’ve ever used. I’ve created hundreds of patches on it and enjoy going back and exploring things I’ve created years ago. Currently building logic based sequencers to control the Nord Drum 3 and running audio back into the G2 to effect it. Endless fun.

8 Likes

I’d love the keyboard version. But driving the engine with the OT can be great fun, mapping scenes to the G2 variations and the crossfader to the eight multi-modulators, triggering one-shot sequences on the G2 from OT sequencer, etc.

1 Like

Same here

2 Likes

Bought my G1 keyboard when it first come out.
Added a G2 Engine a few years later.
Still a G1 fan boy after all these years.