Nord modular G2 still worth it now that we have VCV?

I’ve had 1x g1 keyboard and 3x micro Modular’s

Currently have 1x micro modular … haven’t used for ages but reluctant to sell it.
I always regret selling my nord gear.

1 Like

Also here!

Started with a G1 then G2X and now G2 Engine expanded for the shortcoming in studio space. Love it for it’s sound, UI of the software and the PATCHMUTATOR!! Wondering nobody mentioned it here…
G2 Love never faded, even after going Eurorack since 2016 :slight_smile: Killer Machine and runs fine on WIN 10 here.

4 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

Another reason nobody mentioned: it looks so good!!

8 Likes

It’s almost certain Nord won’t make a G3, but I’m surprised no other manufacturers have attempted to come up with a similar concept (not even Behringer - not that I’d want to encourage them). Arturia’s 1st hardware synth, the Origin released in 2009, was in the ballpark but limited in comparison and quite a bit more expensive and apparently very buggy. I suppose in the 2000’s modular was still niche, But now with the popularity of eurorack and software modulars, I’d guess there could be a considerably larger market. I know this has been debated at length on various forums, but maybe it’s even more relevant in 2023!

3 Likes

Clavia should release a software version that doesn’t require any hardware. i’m sure it’d be a pain in the ass to port it over to apple silicon… as well as modern operating systems… even if it was standalone only i think people would buy it… but making it Au/vst3 would obviously be best.

Not going to happen - Clavia are clearly doing very well with their VA electric pianos and whatnot. And there’re plenty of computer only virtual modulars already. .

Yes, release it! Or instead a port to a computer-only-version, the software could be ported to the Axoloti or Daisy platform (for example Chompi is made with it) or some platform like that. Then you could add hardware-controls and be computer-free if you like. Just dreaming… :blush:

Ah, with releasing it I mean to release it in the wild / make it open source…

Sometimes I’m curious what Clavia employees are thinking about all these threads about NM… (in year 2023)

And thee’s the SW emulation mentioned by @muied_lumens mentioned above. Haven’t used it, but a big presence on the NM electro-music fourm, and very innovative patcher, Blue Hell was AFAIK involved in the development. And quite possible Rob Hordijk RIP who worked with Clavia on the NMs, gave him some insights. Maybe get a PC? :smiling_imp:

The market is definitely (but slowly) growing and there are newcomers like Empress Zoia, Polyeffects Beebo and Mod Duo (and eurorack of course).

If they read them. I’d bet the boss certainly doesn’t and wouldn’t be interested to hear about them from his employees…

The prices have stabilized a bit maybe? I sold G2 rack 10 years ago ( :cry: ) for something like €1100…

Nord Modular Micro now is about €500 and mighty G2 Keys is only €2500. Which is a bit high, but not too awful, considering the age and inflation

I’m far from in the know and don’t know about programming, but form what I’ve read it contains Nord’s propriety code, which they’ve obviously continued to develop - and use in all their machines and is - as I understand it - essentially a trade secret

1 Like

And the Wren is open source!

2 Likes

wren is awesome! happy it got mentioned here, its really an amazing tool that emulates the nord modular software but with much less limitations. i prefer it over vcv because it comes with all the modules you would probably want so less time looking at custom modules and whatnot and more time patching things together.

I’m the sure the G2 Editor Demo is downloadable on the internet somewhere. It can be used to create sounds without even using the hardware, though only monophonic. It’s a good way to experience it.

2 Likes

I think the team doing the virus / micro q emulator had the micro modular on their list as it shares the dsp chip , so there’s a very slim chance it’ll get emulated .

When I did last use my micro I had downloaded the huge patch archive. Lots of nice things though I’m quite happy to use simpler synths ( discovery pro is on my radar ) or I should use my 4r hardware.

Still regret selling my 2x rack too.

1 Like

Probably nothing because the potential sales of a G3 would be well eclipsed by the money they’re likely making from professional performers who use their stage keyboards.

1 Like