Nord modular G2 still worth it now that we have VCV?

yeah… it’s just wishful thinking. i know it won’t happen.

the person who developed the patch mutation system in the G2 used to hang out at modwiggler back in the day and would chime in to the G2/nord modular thread there. if you do a search for it it’ll come up… it’s probably the longest g2 thread there…

anyway… he said the G2 almost broke the company and almost put clavia out of business. he was a part of that and talked about how long the patch mutator took etc. it sounded like it was more or less… traumatizing to some of the people there.

i think they still use the g2 in house as part of the development process

4 Likes

Does anyone have any examples of what the G2 can do? Like, what would sell you on it?

Nord Modular is consistent (by design), VCV is not (by design).
it’s like Mac vs Linux.

3 Likes

Damn right… And for this very reason I would not compare G2 to VCV and I would rather ask this question: Nord modular G2 still worth it now that we have Drambo ? Or even Nord modular G2 still worth it now that we have Bitwig Grid ?

This thread made me look on kleinanzeigen here in Germany… I had a NM rack in the early 2000s, didn’t understand much, used it some but not great, sold it…

I just saw a micro-modular which is said new, boxed, for a little less than 400 euros. Still, I won’t buy it. I wont :slight_smile:

I’ll answer with another question. How are the hardware interfaces on Drambo and Bitwig; how are their AD - DA converters and how many midi and audio ins and outs do they have? And how well can they be integrated into a performance setup?

2 Likes

How is this an issue? You can connect almost whatever you like to the devices that run these apps.

Can be anything from shitty to stellar. You decide.

My point is those programs are only as good as the controllers, interfaces and computer you choose to be able to use them - and then the computer is always part of the equation. 3 pieces of gear to integrate in a live setup, as opposed to one.

You know a Syntakt (or Digitakt… or Digitone…) can be a sound card for an ipad ? And a controller. And a sequencer.

but sOfTwArE bAd

1 Like

Not what I’m saying at all. I really dig Drambo and Reaktor 6 even more. But the G2 is, unfortunately, still unique as an all in one virtual modular performance tool. BTW with midi feedback modules, not to mention the sequencers etc. the G2 is an excellent midi controller.

1 Like

Yeah guess my reply was a little harsh; I just read your questions as the same as people who complain about DACs when they haven’t really made much difference in consumer level gear in a long time.

1 Like

But what about stability? Reliable for live? Drambo doesn’t respond to midi program change, so when you need to switch projects, you have to do that on the iPad screen, In a live context that means stopping the clock / show so the clock resyncs. This might not be an issue for some, but for others - most certainly.

I’m pretty sure if we try hard enough we’ll find a use case where only the G2 works. But whatever this use case, it’s gonna be pretty niche. Meanwhile:

But what about stability? Reliable for live?

Yes. Been there, done that. And still do. Like always, don’t run shitty plugins. And you don’t have to: there are enough native modules.

In a live context that means stopping the clock / show so the clock resyncs

No, you can load multiple instances in a AU host.

As in multiple instances of Drambo in an AU host? Interested, what host do you use? I haven’t gone near ios DAWs (Cubasis, etc); AUM doesn’t sync to external clock - unless it’s synced via Audiobus. So I guess a few instances of Drambo hosted in Audiobus could work for live if you’ve got a newer iPad. I guess I’m niche, but I’d feel much more at ease with an OT/Digi and G2 combo.

What are you missing in Drambo?

What features are you looking for (in a different product) that you can’t find in what you currently have?

Only by answering those questions you’ll know if the G2 is worth it or not, for you.

As in multiple instances of Drambo in Drambo. insert Yo Dawg meme here

I’ve used Loopy pro too.

I’d feel much more at ease with an OT/Digi and G2 combo.

Sure, whatever floats your boat ! These are perfectly fine instruments. I was just trying to answer the thread question. In my humble opinion, there are more convenient and cheaper platforms today, but the G2 remains a beast.