Not quite sold on Digitone yet

First thing:
I got an A4 MKII and it was like an instant love affair. I’d heard about the learning curve compared to other gear so for about a week before it arrived I watched videos, read the manual and once I actually sat down with it, and a few questions on this forum I was up and moving in no time. I don’t think the learning curve is that bad, and I actually understand 90% of the reasoning behind a lot of the functionality as well, which made it easier when I thought of it like that.
I think it’s incredible and one of the most powerful pieces of hardware I’ve ever laid hands on. I feel like no matter how long I have it, it will never get boring.

Fast forward, I picked up the Digitone (got a no-brainer deal super sale) and it’s been in the studio for a few days. I don’t have a hardware FM synth, and the thing gets rave reviews. After my incredible experience with the A4, I figured, what the hell, let’s get him a friend. Everyone says Elektron gets you hooked.

So far, I’m pretty “meh” on it. I do actually really like the sound. I suppose for the price I got it for, it’s a great FM poly, if nothing else. But, as far as sitting with it and making beats or sequences, I find it’s a little harder to get around than the A4 and not nearly as satisfying an experience. I understand the interface is different and there are different quirks in workflow compared to the A4, I’m not really lost, I hit the wrong button a few times, but it makes sense.

I don’t know. I’m slightly, just a little bit let down I guess. Maybe it’s not fair to compare the two. I’m actually glad I got the A4 first. If it would have been the other way around, I probably would have sent the DN straight back and cut my losses, never would have experienced the A4.
As it stands, I’m willing to keep pushing the DN to see if it sticks.

Anyone want to talk me into keeping the DN and maybe something I haven’t tried that will solidify its spot here?

sounds like you just have to get used to the interface. Getting some muscle memory.
Or what is it exactly, that you don’t like?

Maybe the A4 is just enough for your purpose and you don’t need a companion

4 Likes

If it is not for you, it’s not for you… sell it
and then maybe by it again at some point :slight_smile:

If you don’t like it / gel with it, sell it and get an Octatrack?

There, I said it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plug a midi keyboard into it, map as much as you can to the velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel, pitch wheel etc and just play.

Personally I think the DN shines when the 4 velocity mod destinations are used, 4 aftertouch destinations, 4 modwheel destinations etc. You can be super subtle and get a very compelling result. Or just go spinal tap and crank the shit out of everything. Either way, its good.

Then see if you dont like it.

6 Likes

yeah i need to look up those CC’s and get my keystep linked to that.
great tip!

No you dont, its all in the settings menu for each track. No CC jiggery pokery needed.
Just go velocity mod, then dial in a destination, dial in a value and play they keystep. Done.

2 Likes

mmm but you cant link it to the KS knobs?
after pitch is mapped most of the time already

You can if you want. Play around and see what works for you.

I was referring to velocity aftertouch and modwheel pitchweel as those are sent automatically, and recieved automatically. All you need to do is define destinations. Just like you do for LFOs. Anyway, dig around and see what works for you.

2 Likes

ah gotcha!

Back to the topic; Ive got the DN for sale right now; not knowing if I want to push through. had it on sale a while back as well.
I love it for making melodic techno but i find my biggest pitfall is using it as a more of a “piano” where i play chords. it sounds great; but its just more of a list of sounds that way and not as much a breathing device.
I find that when i literally jam trigs on the sequencer at random, at a random speed (1/2 ie.) I cant go wrong.

Also; for hiphop i dislike it. the metallicy sound is a bit of a miss there and there’s little “regular” sounding stuff; which is a strength. so when im in a beat making phase its used for percs or background pads .

Its just a bit of a maybe still. It looks so fucking cool next to my digitakt tho that certainly helps :smiley:

With the Digitone, you should ask yourself, if FM synthesis is really the kind of sound you are looking for. If you find yourself using the filter of the Digitone a lot, subtractive synthesis might be the better fit after all. It’s nice to have the filter, especially for mixing purposes. But if you cut out a lot of frequencies, you might as well create a similar sound with subtractive synthesis with a lot less hassle.

FM synthesis is very versatile, yet it was never something with a large sweet spot. As long as you are not an FM expert, you probably will need a lot more time to dial in pleasing sounds.

FM synthesis often is very rich in the highs. This can enhance the frequency spectrum of track, yet it also can be very fatiguing to listen to over longer periods of time. It might help to use the Digitone for adding interesting elements to a track, that fade in and out at first. I find it more difficult to use it as a lead instrument, as it is often just too present and needs to much focus.

5 Likes

I understand your point which is valid, but personally I have a different experience. I use the filter a lot on the digitone, but I absolutely love the fm engine wouldn’t want to trade it for a subtractive synth… I also think the DN has a very wide sweet spot. Of course it is easy to fuck up a sound with fm, but it is also easy to dial in good sounds on it. Compared to the A4, the DN has much much more sweet spot in there. With the AK I find myself digging and digging until I get it right. And that’s alright too…

6 Likes

I guess you are much more experienced in FM synthesis than I am. When I have certain sound in my mind I want to recreate, I need much more time doing this on a FM synth.

But I agree, the A4 might also not have the biggest sweet spot. Nonetheless, when you compare the Digitone to sweet spot machines from Moog or Oberheim, it really falls short on that end. You can’t make these synths sound bad. If you are looking for this, the Digitone won’t make you happy.

I love working on the Digitone. It’s a pleasure to sequence and program, particularly in tandem with the Digitakt. But I agree with Michael that I struggle with it as a lead instrument, for that I prefer a nice subtractive synth. While the Digitone can do a passable impression of a VA synth, it sounds too cold and clinical in my opinion. That being said, it can make hella wide range of weird and usable sounds, so I keep coming back to it.

1 Like

I would give it some time, personally. When I first got mine I was a little disappointed at my own ability to get decent sounds out of it. Now I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Such a unique machine and the sounds are endless, for me anyway. I guess a lot of it is what kind of music you plan to make with it. There are so many variables between different parameters so it does take time to get your head around it.

1 Like

Digitone can sound very sweet with a light LFO on pitch (wish there was one hard plugged as A4), the other on filter cutoff. And a touch of drive. This on a saw-like sound, sounds great.

Filters are pretty good to tame the FM high frequencies.

The most impacting knobs must be A and B env amounts, so take the time to explore the different ranges, especially for B that is a bit tricky (see the manual).

You can easily get some saw or square with the two operators config: slight feedback on A, both C and A to 1 (saw) or 2 (square).
Start from here, then explore.

3 Likes

First, a bit of context : I’m still a rookie in synthesis.

One year ago i didn’t know that i would want to have a real (hardware) synth.
Then, i was sure to go analog and didn’t even consider FM:
Too glassy, too metallic, too cold, too complicated.
Long story short, last December a Digitone was mine.

Here’s my 2 cents :
With an analog synth, you can create several satisfying sounds pretty quickly.
With the Digitone, you may create only one after three hours but it will be
as beautiful as Rutger Hauer’s speech in Blade Runner.

Also, the “happy accident” factor is highly rewarding:
A Great white shark can turn into a Dolphin (or the other way around ) with just two turns of an knob.
For me, FM can be summarize as this: You know how to do it and/or you like surprises.

Worst case scenario : you have a Bleep Mayhem box with sequencing super combos.
It’s always appreciated…

3 Likes

FM, analog subtractive, whatever. Like I said, I don’t mind the sound of it, it’s actually quite good and it compliments/contrasts my analog synths, so I consider that a good thing. It’s not the sound. Especially some of the drum/perc sounds I actually quite like.

I got it because the creativity and inspiration I encountered working with the A4 was so awesome. I just assumed that would translate across all their pieces.

I’m starting to think it might be the workflow differences. However slight it is between them, it seems to be affecting my enjoyment of it.

I’m going to keep working with it. Maybe some of the suggestions in this thread will help make it stick. I actually paid less for it new than what they’re going for used, so I know my investment is fine if I have to let it go eventually. They seem to hold value.

Well, I gave it a good go.

I suppose the DN just isn’t for me.
I actually picked up a few of the Elektron sound packs just to see if there was anything I wasn’t squeezing out of it and it didn’t really make a difference.
I really haven’t found a place for it in any tracks.
I suppose maybe it is the sound. It just doesn’t resonate with me. If I ever need FM, I have FM8 and Arturia DX-7 that will do the thing.
Oh well, never know if you don’t try. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like