Noteworthy bands of the 90s and 00s now mostly forgotten

Does anyone remember or care about Kevin’s brother Jimi Shields’ band Rollerskate Skinny?

I just found out he was also in this band Wounded Knee which made some interesting music as well:

4 Likes

The Starseeds:

1 Like

I consider most music made after 1987 to be detestable save for 1 or 2 gems.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I will pray for you.

4 Likes

Young whipper snappers with their noise blaring from their boomboxes.

3 Likes

1987 is about when it started to get good again :grimacing:

1 Like

Sheena Easton begs to differ.

1 Like

13 Likes

The Dark Star album is great, I was going to post a Levitation track but went for mahogany instead.

1 Like

My personal favorite obscure 90’s band. Found a single of theirs in a bargin record bin in the very early '00 and loved it. Nothing super unique, but I still love the mix of pop and noise. One of the first bands I thought of when I first heard A Place To Bury Strangers.

18th Dye, got picked up by Matador Records, produced by Steve Albini, fell off the face of the earth in the early aughts.

(epic track - very Steve Albini’esque )

2 Likes

I dont care for mainstream bands, so i am not a good measure. But i love it when they stay true to their sound. And i never forget the good ones.

3 Likes

Autolux released a low-key banger in 2004 titled Future Perfect. No idea what happened to them or where’s they came from. Great Days for the Passenger Element is my favourite song the record.

Really clever songwriting - lovely chords, incentive drums, weirdo lyrics and gorgeous production.

9 Likes

I LOOOOVE Rollerskate Skinny.
Especially Horsedrawn Wishes.
Had some friends play a gig with them in NY, wish I could’ve seen them live.
I did play a gig with Lotus Crown back in the day. They were much better live than their records.
That main guy Ken form Rollerskate had some good tracks post Rollerskate too.

To add to the list.
One of my top 5 records forever most likely

Broadcast

Six Finger Sattelite, this whole album RIPS
Saw them open for Godhead Silo with James Murphy working the soundboard I think.

Just realized your Rollerskate Skinny video is the Medical Records release.
That’s my friend Troy’s thing.
I love what he does with that label and re-releases.

2 Likes

This band is a beauty.
Led me to Failure…

3 Likes

Why, what happened in 1988? :rofl:

1 Like

First thing I thought of was that Dark Star album

1 Like

Autolux! Used to go see them at the Knitting Factory in LA.

4 Likes