Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

True, definitely everyone has different needs

I’d like probably 4-5 loops per song and 6-8 songs in total

Might not meet your needs exactly but there’s 64 projects which you can switch between or queue up. Each of those holds 8x4 patterns.

So there’s actually 64 projects that can have 8 different patterns of 4 tracks?

That’s excellent if so

Can these projects be changed in the hardware or do they need changed in the software editor?

Thanks

Yeah, no worries.
You can edit them and switch between them on the hardware. You can also back them up in Components if you want to free up some or all of the slots as well. It’s very similar to the Ciircuit in that respect.

There’s a bit more info in the user guide on the novation website too.

1 Like

Thanks
I’ll download that and have a look. This is definitely interesting me

Sorry to ask again but is all the input quantized? Can you play into the sequencer unquantized live from a controller keyboard?

I’d try it myself but boxed mine up with intention to sell but might not now.

Hey Muzka,

The questions of patterns and steps comes up quite a lot so I’ll try to explain the brute power of it here.

There are indeed 8 patterns for each of the 4 tracks in each of the 64 projects. There are 32 standard steps in each pattern. So chaining all 8 together will give you 256 steps and 16 bars worth of music.

There is also the “Patterns Settings” page which relates directly to an individual pattern ( i.e. you could have different pattern settings for each pattern).
In this page you can change the speed (or if you like resolution) of the pattern. There are ⁒2, ⁒4 and x2 with triplet variations between. So…
If you choose the ⁒4 speed then an individual 32 step pattern becomes 8 bars long… if you do that to all 8 patterns it becomes 64 bars long! This is over 2 minutes of sequence time at 120bpm (we all make music at that BPM right???)
The pay off for this is that the step resolution is 4 times longer too… nice for long quarter note passages and sustained chords, not so for quick 16 step style stuff…BUT!!!

and its a really big big BUT!!!

Each standard step contains 6 microsteps deeper resolution. This gives us 24PPQN in clock terms.
So if you are happy to spend a little time programming your sequences you actually have access to almost the same resolution as standard steps even when running at quarter speed.

in conclusion, even though the Launchpad Pro MK3 says we have 32 step patterns the reality when using microsteps is that we have 32(standard steps) x 6 (microsteps) = 192 available steps per pattern.

Again chaining 8 patterns together will actually give you… wait for it 1536 steps in one project. Thats a lot of sequencible note data. Not to mention there are 64 projects each with this ;o)

If you want to do some arrangement too there are always the “scenes” these are essentially placeholders where you can program different combinations of patterns together. eg…
Scene 1 could be pattern combinations 3-6 on track 1, 1-4 on trk 2, 5-6 on trk 3 and all 8 patterns on trk 4.
Scene 2 could be pattern combos 1-4 on trk 1, 5-6 on trk 2, 3-8 on trk3 and pattern 1 on trk 4.

and so on you can basically create your own pattern groupings and easily flip between them in a cue’d or instant (hold shift) way. There are 16 scenes available per project too.

Then you can chain the pattern sequences together… so they automatically pass through the sequence of scenes… again this is the same for all 64 of the projects!

Its pretty darn powerful and to be honest I cant see any reason that I couldn’t do a loooong live set with just the Launchpad Pro as my main sequencer. I’m a bit like @Versipellis in that mostly I use only a couple of patterns for my stuff… its what I do with them that counts (to me at least!).

Although there is no pattern scenes on Circuit using the similar non-sequential-pattern-chaining feature (basically the same thing but without the ability to change between combinations). I once made a sequence that was 167,375,713 patterns long before it repeated from the beginning… yep you read that… right, I’m not joking!!!
I worked it out that it would take over 10 years for it to repeat from the beginning of the phase again.
Sounded a little boring after 30 minutes though!!!

This is rather a long answer but there is a lot of stuff to explain I guess!

Hope this helps
-CALC-

15 Likes

It is the mother of all step sequencers.

3 Likes

My wallet is getting more and more promiscuous when I think about this thing

I hate to come over all Dave Gahan but it really is a question of tiiiiiiiiime before I indulge in one of these. Which is amazing given the scarcity of videos that are hyping it. I think most folks are just recognising what a well considered set of features it has…

2 Likes

Sold lol

1 Like

I know you do great presentation videos. you should do a video that shows that stuff :upside_down_face:
That would sell a flood of lp pros.

Anyway thanks for the interesting insights :+1:

Is anyone using this to sequence Digitakt?

Has anyone figured out if playing arps are actually easy as per an early post on this thread said?

@P580C
I am, in order to get each of the 8 tracks controllable you have to go to the lowest octave in the sequencer track settings in order to sequence it.

1 Like

Not to be greedy, but… why not 8? Wouldn’t that make for more easily controllable sequencing?

Seems great, by the way!

Triplets?

2 Likes

True, but… ah well, maybe i’m being needy :smiley:

It is based on how MIDI Clock works. MIDI Sends a Clock-Tick 96 times per Beat. So, when you build a sequencer, you need to find a frequency, in that you handle all your stuff. Based on the MIDI Clock you definitively need the 96pps, so they choose that as their base-frequency. So 96 times per quaternote, or 384 times per bar, the software is called to handle Sequencer-Stuff. If you calculate that down: 64 steps per Bar => 384/64=6 so you have 6 calls per 1/64th note. Leaves you with 6 Microsteps.

3 Likes

I’ve had this for a few days now. Haven’t got a single decent track out of it yet. But that’s because it’s glaringly obvious that with such a powerful tool for composition, the only thing truly lacking when I can’t get shit done, is my own ideas.

I’m starting to wonder if this might be the best sequencer I’ve ever had. Though we’re still honeymooning, I guess.

1 Like