Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3

I didn’t really use it standalone yet, cause I’m putting ideas down so quickly in ableton.
I’m sure it’s totally capable standalone but I guess it’s still an ableton live controller first and foremost.
perfect marriage

I am… Uhm, having a bit of cognitive difficulties with this one :sweat_smile: How does it work in practice — is it basically 1/32 triplets, if you filled in each step? Or not? If I had a lane of 1/16 notes and wanted to have two 1/32 notes in the middle, would I fill in the first and the 4th microsteps?

Thanks for explaining it to me, I really appreciate it.

I don’t know how Novation has coded their firmware, so I cannot answer you how they did the datastructure. As I was/am working on my own kind of sequencer (to understand how it works, what are limitations etc), I just learned about how this midiClock thing works and understood why all the samplers out there are talking about 96pps.
I would assume, that their datastructure doesn’t know about 8th 16th 32th notes. The structure knows about 384 “notes” per Pattern (or however they name it). And the code just fills the correct column with data, when you enter something. This would mean, that if you place . 32th notes inside the datastructure, there will be 5 empty columns between them. You fill them as soon as you do microtiming stuff.
But as I said, that is pure speculation, as I don’t know how their stuff is implemented.

What you can get from it: If you read 96pps in the specification of a sequencer you know, that the highest resolution of notes you can possible get out of this system is 1/384th note, if the developer allowes you to :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, thanks a lot for the info! Good-to-know stuff, most definitely :+1:

Bought it and using for Ableton. I like that it’s smaller than my Push 2 and the pads are the most sensitive that I’ve ever used. I have a Maschine MK3, Push 2, and PadKontrol. The Launchpad Pro is the most sensitive.

Anyways, not sold on it yet because of some of the workflow. For example, there’s no way to mute a drum pad. So in sequencer mode, I can’t mute a kick for example among the 16 pads. Unless I’m missing something.

Also, for an Ableton standpoint, using the sequencer is a bit annoying workflow-wise because when you get a sequence going, it’s still not a clip yet. So there is the extra step of pritning it to a clip, which hurts workflow. For example, with Push 2 or the Launchpad Pro 95 script, when you create a sequence, it is instantly a clip.

Also, having to go back to Session or Note to adjust volumes is another workflow annoyance. So if I’m in the sequencer mode or a custom mode and want to adjust volume, then I can’t just press the Volume button. I have to go back to Session or Note mode.

This made me appreciate the workflow of the Push 2 a lot more, though I do dislike the Push’s size (and weight) and the bit of page-diving it has.

5 Likes

These are the main reasons I didn’t get one. I had a feeling the sequencer being a whole separate function would make it annoying compared to Push. The Chord mode was the biggest selling point for me, but Push has a polyphonic step sequencer which does the job for me. If they went for a built in basic audio interface in it I absolutely would’ve nabbed it with its current functionality. That would’ve killed the sleek and slim form factor though.

Also when I say they are the most sensitive pads, I don’t mean they are night and day different from the Push 2, Maschine, etc. I just mean that you can use an even lighter touch with the Launchpad and get a sound than the others. However, practically speaking, you are likely not going to use that light of a touch even with intricate finger drumming unless you’re really into ghost notes or jazz ride cymbal patterns. The other three controllers I mentioned suffice compared to the Launchpad for finger drumming. The difference is subtle but there.

4 Likes

Yeah. I really love the size of the Launchpad and some of the things about it. I wish there was LaunchPush for the best of both worlds :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh one more thing. The sequencer is a lot of fun. Just simple things like increasing and decreasing the pattern length is so quick and easy that it makes it fun to jam. Add in the mutate feature and things can get wild. Even a one step pattern with mutate, and some probability, can be fun.

1 Like

I ordered one but then sent it back today. I sold my Black Box, selling my MC 707. Just sick of buying and selling gear and not really use it much…gearaholic. Bought a Maschine3 as I loved using that las year but sold it to buy hardware…going back to hardware/software now to save money. Will midi from the M3 to my Elektron Keys and Crave though…still need some hardware sounds!

1 Like

Hi Guys!

I’ve just got my new LPPMK3 and I’m struggling to sort out certain things/thoughts/recommendations:

1. Unquantized in standalone:
How to record unquantised into the sequencer in standalone? It was announced like the seq works same as on the circuit, so Shift+Rec would toggle Quantized/Unquantized rec… Am I missing something?

2. Record from Chords mode:
It is very strange, that I cannot record realtime into the seq from chord mode (again strictly in standalone). Logically would be great to select Tracks from Chords/Notes mode as well, instead of juggling with the MIDI channels.

3. Channel/Track RX/TX filtering:
Would be also reasonable to route/fix certain input channels to output channels. Eg what comes in on CH1 it goes out on CH1 then CH2 IN goes to CH2 OUT and so on… Of course, if a track a is assigned to a certain channel it should process it. But now it can be done only manually by custom mode, and Omni on seq page.

4. Changing defaults:
I sequence Track 1-4 on CH3-CH6, and all of them are should be in Scale mode. But by default they are on CH1-4 and Track 1 is on drum mode… Is there any way to set my own defaults?

Many thanks in advance,
Geza

5 Likes

Just received an official answer from Novation, that unquantized recording is not supported right now… :frowning: Do not really understand why they decided to take it out, while it was working in the circuit…

so how are people liking this considering it has no lcd info screen?

been really intrigued by this lately but one of my primary concerns is the lack of screen.

@ 25:35 :cool:

Granted, I haven’t had it for super long, and haven’t put it through all its paces, but I’ve had zero issues with the lack of screen. By comparison, its sort-of-bigger-brother the SL MkIII, with its screens, is a bummer to use. I’m having nothing but good experiences with the Launchpad Pro so far.

3 Likes

better solution than beatstep pro?

haven’t spent time with either but I’m at the point where I want to start sequencing everything external as a cohesive unit.
(maybe that also offers creative functions which mk3 seems to have)
try to get into a bit of jamming I suppose as well.

prior I just been tracking everything out one by one, piecing together songs.

The Launchpad Pro Mk3 is a far better choice than Beatstep Pro, in my opinion. Four tracks instead of three, polyphonic, better workflow, and more. The Beatstep Pro has the roller bar, which is great, but that’s the only advantage for it that I can think of.

It really depends on the user´s needs and what gear they are using it with.
If you have Analog gear, like Synths, Drum machine, Eurorack, etc.

The Beatstep Pro has 64 step sequencer as to 32 step only for LaunchPad Pro mk3 (puzzeled by that strange decision from Novation to be honest).
the Beatstep Pro also has extensive CV connectivity including 8 dedicated drum CV Gate outs, plus 2x 3 dedicated CV outs for other Analog gear. LaunchPad Pro has only Midi Out.

But yeah… if Polyphony is a must, then I would definitely keep an eye out for the Keystep Pro which offers 16-note Polyphony, has 64 steps sequencer x4, extensive CV out, etc.
The Keystep Pro is pretty much the same price as the LaunchPad Pro 3.

I do agree however, if all you do is work inside the box and just want a good controller for Ableton Live and don’t have the budget for a Push2, then the Novation LaunchPad Pro3 is definitely a good option.
I am considering the LaunchPad Pro mk3 myself for this very reason, since I already have a Digitakt and Keystep.

1 Like

I am returning mine, after all. Not because it’s not great. But because I’ve grown too attached to the Blackbox sequencer, and can’t consider options if they’re not doing at least what the Bbox does, and then some.

Ironically, the BBox doesn’t do much at all. But what it does do, becomes a very unique combination which I’ve grown to use to its full extent.

1 Like