Novation Peak

Looks like the blue cables connected to Peak are audio outputs. Pedals/CV not connected in that video.

Doh. My mistake.

As @Hawk mentioned, not sure that CV (control voltage) into expression pedal (variable resistance) will work (without additional kit eg. https://store.synthrotek.com/Vac_Pak_Kit, not even sure this is a solution for Peak).

There is nothing in the manual/online to state if Peak expression input is protected against reasonable over-voltages so youā€™d need to be very carefulā€¦

Hi!
Iā€™m trying to change from one patch to the next on the Peak by changing patterns on my Digitakt.
So far Iā€™m only able to send bank/program change by choosing different patterns on the Digitakt, but that serves no function for me since for instance bank 1, pt 4 ont the DT only give me bank 1, patch 4 on the Peak (which is too arbitrary for my needs).
I would like to send the message over CC, I suppose. I was hoping there would be some way of locking that message to the first trig on my next pattern, but no luck so far. I have tried locking the first trig on MIDI track A to a ā€œprogā€ value on the SRC page, but nothing happens. (Iā€™m sending and receiving prg change and using corresponding MIDI channel on both Peak and DT.)

Any help would be great.

This should work straightforwardly. What MIDI settings do you have on the DT and on the Peak?

I think someone asked about this, but canā€™t find it, so canā€™t directly reply.

To change the startup patch, do this

1. Select the patch you want to be the one selected at boot up
  2. Go to settings (page 1 is fine, others maybe too)
  3. Hit save

Next time you boot the Peak up, that will be the starting patch. I did this by accident once, and subsequently figured it out. I think I saw it in the manual but ā€“ similar to the comment asking about this ā€“ I canā€™t find it there. Itā€™s not in the ā€˜saving patchesā€™ section anyways.

6 Likes

Awesome tip! Iā€™ve had the peak for about 2.5 years and had no idea you could do that. This will be useful for restarting sessions from right where I left off.

On a similar note, has anyone figured out a way to save the midi channel setting on the Peak? Is it something similar?

Iā€™ve not had a problem with the midi channel not saving, itā€™s always stayed on the channel I set it to when I first set it up.

1 Like

You can also use the current knobs position as default patch.

just wanted to post here that I am still falling in love with this synth. programmed my first bass sound with it yesterday. even though it wasnt used in the track in the end, it was a great patch. reason it wasnt used was that I liked the flavor of a different synth for the track more.
makes you feel this thing can do it all

3 Likes

Itā€™s a fantastic bass synth.

3 Likes

Hey,

Press save while youā€™re inside the settings menu. That will save all global settings.
I realised this also applies to making tuning tables; you need to save them in order to retrieve them in other patches. Took me a while to find out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone here use the keyboard and CV output from a DSI or Sequential synth to trigger the pitch / note?

also, does anyone use this as a bass machine? curious how it performs.

I regularly use it for bass. Itā€™s very good at it. Three oscillators, resonant 24db analogue filter, unison, analogue overdrive, precise detuning control, etc.

It has as much bass as you want really. You can easily put a square or sine as a sub oscillator under anything. The first wavetable is a sine wave sampled from the BassStation - it has a woollier quality than the purer default sine wave option and itā€™s very usable in a lot of situations. You can also switch the filter to HP and use resonance to beef things up further. Or make entirely FM bass sounds. Itā€™s very flexible and punchy.

The best thing about the Peak is that itā€™s very quick to work with. I needed a bass sound for a track I was working on last night on the Rytm, I knew what I wanted and I was able to dial it in in seconds.

Only reason it might not suit your needs is if you donā€™t like the sound of the filter. It has a particular ā€œdryā€ kind of character. Not unpleasant, but distinct from a liquidy Roland kind of sound. Do you have an example of the sort of bass sounds you like/want?

7 Likes

You canā€™t trigger the Peak via CV/gate, only midi. It has a CV input for modulation only.

2 Likes

Great writeup! Additionally, the oscillators have a lot of options for beefing them up, such as Density Detuning/Diverge/Drift, all of which will take it from a clean modern synth to sounding like an old 70ā€™s classic. The super flexible gain-staging on it also allows for so many timbre adjustments without really modifying the underlining synthesis, also. The only thing you are really ā€œstuckā€ with is the filter, like you mentioned, but thatā€™s definitely a personal flavor thing. I really like the filter, but some people might not.

4 Likes

BASS! :+1:t6:

It DOES bass

2 Likes

thanks for the info. sounds sick. love it being described as ā€œpunchyā€œ

howā€™s it handle pad duties?

Pads, Leads, Percsā€¦Weird Shitā€¦

Preemptive strike as I see where this is going.

2 Likes