Novation Peak

Weird, I dunno what’s up with that, I’ll check my preferences, but for now just post it here.

There are a few odd sounding issues here… Doesn’t sound like the Peak I know and love!

Sounds a bit like you’re already convinced that it’s not for you and you’re looking for issues to back that up… If so, life’s too short and the market is full of great instruments – move on and get something you love more.

Otherwise, have you found any presets you like? There are some incredible patches via components made by awesome artists like Lightbath etc. Always worth reverse engineering stuff if you like patches other people have made – you should definitely be able to make stuff that isn’t scooped / buzzy / distant, it’s a very capable synth.

If you’re trying to eliminate potential cable / setup issues, how does it sound plugging headphones directly into your peak? Have you tried different systems etc?

3 Likes

I dont like any of the presets. I got a bunch from Components…none really hit.
I have poked thru a few that I can listen to to see how they are put together…but it doesnt help. I still make trash.

first thing I did when I was problem solving the Hydra was record released stuff run thru my setup, and it comes out as it goes in. exactly the same.

im not looking for reasons to dislike the Peak. im trying to FIND reasons and solutions to like it.
headphones sound the same as thru MOTU 828es. thanks for the suggestions :+1:t6:

Time to move on then, stop wasting time. Sack it off!

I agree with you man, that currently is the plan.
Actually…dude says it best here (starts in right place)

1 Like

It has some amp attack and release on an initialized sound. Maybe that’s what you’re hearing?

There is none :confused:

Whitout sharing examples of the problem its not much we can do. It does seem very strange that you have a reverbish sound on a basic waveform with effects bypassed.

Extremly reverberant room? hehe

2 Likes

Yeah, dude’s right, like any synth, it has its sound. Not everyone is going to get on with it and it isn’t a hero / flavour synth like an OB-6 or Deckards where the filter trumps everything else and anything you dial in sounds like magic.

For me it’s a workhorse synth that I think sounds good and lets me get loads of sounds really quickly. I like the way it works and I feel like creatively it’s on my side, I don’t feel restricted by it. But if it’s frustrating you then that’s no good - makes sense to accept that and try to figure out what it is that you’re after. Good luck man.

3 Likes

I’d also say share some sound. Then the people here could see if it’s normal or not. Without that it’s hard to interpret what you really mean.
Best thing would probably be to initiate a sound and just press the button to prelisten

1 Like

Headphones. Apt, I can’t do my monitors at all anymore.

im not crazy…LooPoP hears the tail [what I was thinking may have been reverb] as well…

starts at right spot

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

That’s not loopop. :wink:

Personally, I disagree with Jeremy’s assessment here. Regardless, these sounds have chorus on them. Chorus is generated with delays. Therefore, I’m calling this almost non-existent “ringing-out” an anomaly of the chorus, combined with some good ol’ fashioned analog self-noise.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Oh shit, my apologies to Loop. I meant RMR.
:grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah it should try it with an initialized patch, and then set release to 0.

Also, it appears to be something with the decay, not the release

1 Like

Turned this thing on for the first time in a little while last night… the reverb is just so lush! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Something I’ve noticed is that if you don’t have the effects bypassed (bypass button ON) even with all effects levels turned down to 0 it seems there is still a tiny amount of effects still working on the signal path. So for me A/Bing a patch with all fx at 0 but turning effects bypass on/off demonstrated this.

5 Likes

Yeah, this, and it’s why they put a bypass button on the front panel.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s amazing. I really want it in a plugin or pedal (or just inputs on the Peak) to utilise it on everything!

1 Like