Novation Peak

Agreed! Was going to ask what plugin reverb comes closest to this sound actually? You can just put in such a simple saw wave and turn it into ambient bliss. Much nicer than the Hydrasynth reverb which has a kind of “metallic”/artificial quality to it, that’s for sure.

I’ve looked for this answer previously, I’m still not sure on the answer! Let’s hope that Novation do a pedal version sometime!

Not the same, but I’ve got a few go-to reverbs that I use a lot:

• Seventh Heaven plugin (the cheaper lite version - limited but very smooth, it’s good)
  • NI Raum plugin (really cheap and I really like it!)
  • Ventris pedal (the e dome setting is all over my work)
1 Like

Thanks, I have this one and it is indeed lovely! Hadn’t heard of Seventh Heaven, I’ll check it out. I should check out the Valhalla stuff too sometime, that gets a lot of love. I’ve got quite a few different reverbs but the Peak one just sounds lovely on any sound with no tweaking required, I really like that!

The reverb on the MicroMonsta 2 is similarly lush. I hear the same code is in their Doctor A, though I haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

On Peak… if you brought all the osc levels down to zero, could LFOs bring the sound back up to be heard if you held notes down on your keyboard?

Or does osc level at zero mean no volume at all?

Waldorf Iridium can still be heard - sounding washing in and out - if the osc level has modulation even with levels physically turned all the way down. What about Peak?

Yes.

2 Likes

I think Valhalla VintageVerb can come close

1 Like

How is the Analog Heat with the Peak?

Or anyone?

Nice - I will have to try it out!

It is lovely with the Heat. Everything sounds better through the Heat.

The internal distortion circuits do work fine on the Peak, but can often be a bit drastic. Heat gives a different flavor of distortion. But i dont run the Peak through by itself. I like it better when i run several things into the Heat at once.

1 Like

Thx @arcrae.io

15 Likes

Does this work via USB (MIDI)?

That’s super cool!

1 Like

@LyingDalai Well thank you for sharing :slight_smile: !

It should work with USB MIDI - at least I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t. Shoot me an email if it’s not the case, I can have a look.

1 Like

Cool vid too :+1:t6:

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to make it work via USB.

Peak is connected via USB with my computer (PC, Windows 10)
In the MIDI Preferences of Pd, I choose Peak as IN and OUT

I followed this :

[A] Get started

1- Download and install vanilla Pd
2- Download MIDIRand
3- Open “main.pd”
4- Assign a MIDI output device and make sure your synth is connected
5- Enable pickup mode on your synth (Settings – Pickup “On”)
6- Go to a new patch and initialise it
7- Click on the big button, the process will start and the “S” (for status) light will turn pink
8- Once the “S” light turns green, your patch is ready
9- If you like the patch, save it on your synth the usual way
10- If not, try again until something nice happens

That sounds right. I just tried, it works for me (I don’t think you need the IN here but it doesn’t matter).

The next logical step would be to make sure Channel 1 is selected on your Peak and that your settings are similar to mine.

• Local: On
  • Arp>MIDI: On
  • CC/NRPN: Rec+Tran
  • Bank/Patch: Rec+Tran

Sometimes, completely rebooting Pd helps with the MIDI settings as they are not always immediately applied for some reason.

Let’s move this to DMs, I don’t want to hijack this thread :).

I think this is my missing part, thank you! I will try later and post my results.

For anyone that has Maschine. Did this for my Maschine + to control my Novation Peak.

2 Likes

so after watching this…and hearing how FULL the peak sounds in this vid…is leading me to believe I MUST be doing something wrong with my inputs to my soundcard. my shit is always hollow sounding. and I’m not messing with the sound in my DAW.

what on earth might I be doing?!
I/O = MOTU 828es