Novation Summit

Why would he say it if it wasn’t true? Also, he mentioned it without me asking about it, I had been asking a question about a feature I thought should be added. I’m just saying, I don’t see any reason to lie about it, especially considering that he brought it up. Novation has a very good record of firmware updates and bugfixes, I think it’s healthy to exercise skepticism… but I think in this case there’s really no reason to be.

I’m inclined to agree with the skeptics, only because the word “soon” is relatively useless and specifically vague.
Novation really just needs better communication.
About a year ago, after learning of the designers passing, I completely thought the summit was a dead duck. I almost sold it actually but The sound is truly spectacular so I accepted it with its flaws.
I accidentally stumbled on a post in reddit with an very unofficial update.
Maybe I missed it but I’ve seen no real solid communication from Novation about any of this. And its been years.
Having to dig through forums or reddit to find anything is not what I would call respectable regarding a company’s reputation. They have a beautiful website, a simple blurb would’ve spoken volumes.

Regardless of all this, I still love my summit and if they can fix the envelope/gating issue, I will be most pleased.

1 Like

“as soon as we can” could be a year, two years. Apparently at the end of last year they said it would be out by this year.

So yeah. When I get my hands on it I’ll see what I think. I don’t understand what people mean by the voices making the envelopes pop. Or what’s the deal with FX in serial or how big of an issue that is. These could be things I just shrug off when I get my hands on it. I’m generally not a stickler actually.

We are going to be sharing a firmware update very soon. Putting a timescale on these releases will always be guesswork and we’ve done our best to communicate our progress but I can appreciate that it might be frustrating to not have access to a specific date.

John // Novation UK :uk:

6 Likes

Nice.

While you’re here, can we get the Basstation’s AFX mode on our Peak/Summits? That would be a total game changer.

2 Likes

And a nice sequencer to go along with it.

1 Like

Sequencer? For AFX Mode? What kind of thing did you have in mind?

1 Like

Hey @JohNovation, welcome, it’s good to have you here! One of my favorite styles of sequencer is the SH-101 style. Some of the current Sequentials have this as well, like the OB-6, P6, and Pro 3. Basically, you input notes or chords, and a trigger will advance it to the next step. On the Peak/Summit, it seems like it might be possible to configure either Pedal 1, Pedal 2, or CV Mod inputs to take a trigger for advancing the step.

I am not that familiar with the Bass Station 2, so that may already have a similar sequencer. And I know it has the AFX mode @Bemo mentioned. So maybe some of the things from the Bass Station 2 could be implemented as well.

Now for what I personally invision as a dream product from the Peak/Summit line. I would like to see Peak in a keyboard version. Something around the size of a Take 5 or Minilogue. The Summit looks great, but it is just too long for my setup. I just gel with shorter boards anyway, around 3-4 octaves, as they are also more portable as well. Add in a row of physical buttons for a sequencer, similar to what the Minilogue XD has. Being able to adjust notes, and tweak filter/modulation per step would really open things up. And also add in the new filter modes of the Summit. Just some thoughts.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I figured since we have you here, I might well lay out my dreams and wishes.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate you elaborating on this. Bass Station II does have a similar sequencer, that allows you to create up to 4 sequences, each made up of up to 32 notes and rests. These are interesting ideas. I’ll be sure to share them with the team.

2 Likes

Maybe the patch I shared in this peak-thread can be of some help? : Novation Peak - #552 by TBN

2 Likes

i like this synthesizer

it’s a bit overwhelming. just trying to start off making simple pads and such. might reverse engineer some of the factory presets that really kick ass. i also might go ahead and just record some footage tomorrow for funsies.

i don’t understand how velocity works on this thing?

i go to the mod matrix, i sent velocity to the VCA and all it does is make the volume maximum and make all the notes sustain. all i want is for when i hit the keys harder the notes to be louder. sheesh. am i dumb?

Nah, no worries vca is a weird one (which makes it special as well, i like it as a mod destination for exactly the reasons you describe). No need for the matrix, all envelopes have a dedicated velocity sensitivity parameter in their menus, just use that.

1 Like

hell yeah dude thanks. i figured there was something obvious i was missing.

got any fun tips or tricks? i’m trying to make a patch or two every day and still fall into all my old habits. today i started with the looping envelope just to see where i could send it to. ended up sending it to the FM amount of osc3>osc1. that was interesting i guess.

The thing is (over)loaded with options. Velocity to various distortion/ overdrive stages and compensatie volume with amp/ oscillator level, throw in the (dual) filter with a fair amount of resonance, with lfo/env modulation. Also i like osc to filter mod a lot, and/or noise to osc (you’re able to seperately hpf and lpf the noisegenerator), cross mod of all 3 osc with each other for unstable (but possibly still subtle) sounds. And there are wavetables too which i do not even use that much. I did pick up a trick from cuckoo that you can pitch these way down into lo-fi territory via direct mod matrix routing, and then use these as mod sources. Lovely. A must have trick up your sleeve is the random lfo reset thing: modulate lfo 1 and 2 rate with velocity by amount 1 or max 4, to unsync the phase of the lfo for every voice and then use lfo 1 and 2 all over the place (pitch, waveshape, resonance, envelope attack time etc) for a nice ‘vintage’ effect. Well Just have fun, it really is a nice instrument, and i anticipate on it becoming even better if/when an updated firmwsre is released.

1 Like

In this case, it was 18 days :wink:

https://components.novationmusic.com/summit/updates

I hope you’re enjoying the synth, this update is REALLY enormous, some incredible features that go far, far beyond bug fixes. Envelopes for the Animate buttons is something I’ve wanted since day 1. Fade in time for the LFOs is pretty huge as well for sound design. The new stereo spread modes are a godsend, this is so amazing!

edit: corrected link to show Summit notes

6 Likes

I agree.

Unfortunately there’s no mention of the bugs with the series FX and with the envelopes.

Nope - It has not been fixed!

Neither is the “knob jitter”/“Phantom changes” bug mentioned, which has plagued the Peak and Summit for years. I guess that one still isn’t fixed either :frowning:

It is nice to see progress though :slight_smile:

Have you personally confirmed that it has not been fixed by using the unit with the new firmware and attempting to reproduce those bugs? Or are you just saying this based on the patch notes? There are no mention of bug fixes at all on the components page for 2.0, just new features, so I’m guessing this isn’t the true technical patch notes, just the new features list.

EDIT: OOPS SORRY I posted the link for the Peak. Here is the link for Summit with bug fixes listed:
https://components.novationmusic.com/summit/updates