OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

I have definitely heard sounds in some of the demos that I couldn’t do on my OB-6. There is a richness and depth in some of the patches that almost sound surreal to me. But I also don’t think one has to be necessarily better than the other. They are both great synths.

3 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

YouTube compression maybe messing the low end up. This happened with earlier prophet 5 demos. This was fixed by me going to the store and the shop owner used large speakers to display the low end of the prophet 5 v4

1 Like

I’ve not been as lucky as you to hear it IRL yet, but I’ve never had a problem with my OB-6 low end growling. Quite the opposite.

ed: just to illustrate, if I’m playing the OB-6 above the P-6 I’ll usually use a mic HPF to cut the bottom end (80Hz 24db) off the OB-6 (if the filter is full tilt to low pass).

gimme

If I underastood him correctly he doesn’t even expect all of the pre-orders to be fullfilled before they run out of parts!

These are gonna be around for a hot minute.

Oberheim OB-X8: Gearspace @ Superbooth 2022 - YouTube Cool demo at the end.

1 Like

The camera angle with Tom staring at the presenter is hilarious. Its like hes saying im proud of you boy. Keep it coming :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Bless old Tom.

1 Like

Dude was really vibing out on those bloops!

5 Likes

I need that shirt.

1 Like

yeah that discussion was weird… “my prediction will be we won’t have anywhere near enough parts to meet the demand there’ll be for this.” and this was right after he said the beauty of the partnership with Sequential is they know how to build synths they can actually ship, and that it was designed carefully with parts they can actually get in mind. so… which is it?

he also said they’re shipping soon. so, my guess is he ultimately means “we’re prepared and ready to ship these soon, but we’ll still likely run into supply chain issues like everyone else.”

2 Likes

Yea I forget the exact lines but I remember coming away thinking he didn’t mean it was a temporary situation - but maybe it was just the way it was worded.

It would be strange for them to release this new epic synth using parts they couldn’t even satisfy initial demand with.

Unless they hate money.

Likely just supply chain stuff as you say.

Tom’s TVS Pro had this issue. when he recently announced they were doing another run, they soon after announced “we have more pre-orders than parts.” but the TVS Pro was designed before chip shortages and supply chain issues were as prevalent, and not in concert with Sequential.

so yeah… I doubt it’s going to be limited. it just might be tricky to get one sometimes.

1 Like

What I took away from that part of the video was that it was built to be available for a long production run, and that was with the help of Dave and Sequential, but it sounds like there is a lot of initial demand, so short term it may be hard to get one until they meet and catch up with initial demand.

3 Likes

I was probably still dizzy from all those rich chords

1 Like

They just hit different.

I was actually quite shocked when he pointed out there were no effects on it - I was like “Oh shit yea!!”

I hardly ever like a synth dry - just incredible.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember in the video when he started talking about combining the pulse and saw width, hitting it with the delayed PWM…and then I woke up on the lawn hours later. This thing is a beast.

4 Likes