OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

:joy:

1 Like

Manufacturability isn’t the same thing as parts availability. I’d assume he meant solid production processes, effective quality assurance, good mechanical design, etc.

Another Inhalt video - about 8 min long. Earlier Inhalt was over 20 min. Not sure if edited down from the other

Uploaded by Oberheim Official on May 18

2 Likes

That isnt one of his best imo.

Nah he was just having some technical issues… the phase and speakers, room audio… blast processing…

2 Likes

Yes somethings amiss.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I don’t get it.

To me the Polybrute is a way more exciting synth then this… what am I missing?

2 Likes

The sound

It’s a premium product that people will buy despite its high price and lack of features. Sound familiar? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think oberheim sounds more exciting than polybrute, simple becouse of the character of the raw sound. That is envelopes, filters, osc., and tbe way they interact as a whole. And sometimes, music needs that .

3 Likes

I see, it doesn’t really come off from the demos to me… but then again a simple sine wave can get me going, so what would I know…

1 Like

To me, these “premium” synths… the ones that are sonically more limited, but have something “just so” about them… should be thought of as closer to non-electronic instruments. No-one complains a Theremin doesn’t have a resonant HPF with snappy envelopes. You can’t even change the envelope on a Rhodes/Wurlitzer (well, apart from that micro pressure stuff pianists do). Some people devote their entire careers to weird-ass things like bassoons. I, mentally, put the character synths up that end of the aisle.

8 Likes

That Rhodes Mk 8 :drooling_face:

2 Likes

I’m just not looking at the press for it. My Wurly has a massive cigarette burn on one key from a previous owner, and the case is warped enough another key clicks against it. But it’s in my house.

2 Likes

The cigarette burn is kinda cool though. Just imagine a great story behind it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get your feeling. Having started with these synths as a young lad i would say its the familiarity. Its the sound of the early 80s when you had a synth explosion and most of the hits you know come from two synths mainly. The Oberheim and the Prophet. The Polybrute hasnt got that familiarity.

3 Likes

It’s appealing to middle aged synthesists who remember when the Commodore Pet was the pinnacle of high technology

3 Likes

Francis Preve tour. There are audio demos - but even more minimal than the latest Inhalt’s.

1 Like

Nice presumption.

You like the character of polybrute, but you don’t get why people would want this new oberheim instead. This is how i understood your post before last one. Well, some people like oberheim sound better, it triggers their imagination and emotion and creativity. And how much what costs is irrelevant in that realm.
For example, i like take 5 better than polybrute, and yes,it has a gorgeous sine wave :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s my demographic

1 Like