OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

4 Likes

I forgot how entertaining his video on the Take 5 was

4 Likes
2 Likes

I dont understand the purpose of these comparison videos. They are two different synths altogether that may have inevitable crossover as all synths do.

4 Likes

I don’t totally disagree, but in this case I think the sounds are matched up pretty evenly conceptually. The real surprise is how much better the OB-X8 sounds IMO. It’s by quite a large margin.

1 Like

Definitely not gonna watch the video then. A couple of vids have already spoiled the P6 a bit for me (compared with the P5).

1 Like

I think you‘d buy both for the oberheim sound.
So comparing them makes total sense to me.
Funny how the OB6 and P6 were the absolute real deal when it comes to modern analog polys for years, now they seem to be overshadowed by XA and P5.

1 Like

Something is funny with that comparison. Sounds like the OB-6 was recorded in mono and the OB-X8 recorded in stereo. Not a very fair comparison if that is the case.

Edit: Turns out this actually was the case, so the comparison video is very misleading.

7 Likes

Yeah, Jamie is cool. I like his reviews.

Nick’s full-length review

2 Likes

Did anyone here buy one of these?

Really, really close to pull the trigger. They have one at my local musicstore. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I bought mine as an open box from Guitar Center. The person hadn’t even taken the plastic or foam off the synth, so it was untouched. Although similar size of the prophet 10, I don’t think they sound anything a like. (Source, the p10r4 to the side).

If I was forced to only have one synth, the obx8 would be in my top two choices.

14 Likes

How much was it out the door?

kinda rude to ask, IMHO. if they wanna share, they would have.

Shop around. You should be able to get one $4,300ish with no tax charged/free shipping from good deals I read about.

1 Like

They can speak for themselves no? When someone asks me I tell them, I don’t see how it’s rude. If he doesn’t want to share, that’s fair.

Thank you!

fair enough. I personally hate it when people ask me that, so it kinda triggered me and I felt compelled to offer someone else a bit of cover! no ill will intended.

fwiw if you’re in the states there’s one for sale on MW for $4400 shipped from Philly. great seller too. also it’s widely known that if you chat with or call Musicians Friend and just ask for a discount, you can get 15% off. free shipping, but you’ll pay taxes.

1 Like