Octatrack MKII Anniversary Edition

I don’t know what just came over me. I got one of them. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Well they’re both gone now. I should have bought both and listed them right away for 3k… :crazy_face:

Glad you didn’t pay some 'effin silly markup.

Yeah, I’m perfectly happy with my MkII…but when I stumbled across that one on Reverb just now, I couldn’t resist. Darth Vader would be proud of me…now I know the power of the Dark Side :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My new friend arrived today #278 lives now in Belgium!! I’m exited, it is my first OT. Previously I owned a Digitakt, sold it to buy a MC707, missed it very much untill the big brother OT arrived.

5 Likes

congrats
welcome to the family

I can think of one case where that was done: Korg replaced the ESX and EMX with SD card versions late in their lifetime. But they previously used SmartMedia cards and those had a maximum capacity of 128 MB and were no longer being manufactured. CF might be less popular today than it was, but the cards are still being made, and are big enough for the OT’s needs.

At least it doesn’t use 3.5" floppy disks and SCSI :laughing:

It is possible to replace storage devices fairly easily on some vintage samplers though. I have an SD reader on a SCSI bus on an old Akai, and an SD reader instead of an IDE hard drive in an MPC1000 (ok, that one’s not so vintage).

Since CF cards use a standard IDE protocol, it might be possible to just swap it out for another IDE device without changing the OT software.

I agree that Elektron are very unlikely to do that at this point, but it might be possible for users to mod.

2 Likes

Do you think this could be installed in OT? :loopy:
It would surely sound more vintage!

2 Likes

is there a legitimate issue with using a CF card, or is it just nitpicking because it’s not the latest/greatest standard? does anyone have an actual issue with the CF card?

2 Likes

Some brocken pins stories. Someone had this issue with his new OT AE and couldn’t use it…:grimacing:

Personally I don’t mind standard size SD cards, I don’t like the micro ones as they are easily lost and often quite fiddly to remove.

I quite like CF cards, they do the job and aren’t too small, they tend to be more expensive though, like a 32gb Sandisk SD is £7.99 a 32gb Sandisk CF £26.99. But since I don’t need many not too much of an issue.

3 Likes

Yea. I don’t get the CF hate either.
I’ve had SD cards snap in the bottom of my backpack.
Everything fails with enough abuse.
I’ve always felt CF were more durable, in instruments and cameras, alike.

I use a 64GB card that never leaves the machine. Just pay attention the first time it gets inserted and you’re fine.
Back it up over USB and clone it to another CF via a second card reader.

I feel bad for anyone of the 3 people who have had issues with pins, but making it out to be some big deal-breaker issue that the OT doesn’t use SD cards is comical.

9 Likes

Especially when you consider that photographers often had to swap out CF cards over and over during a shoot. I wonder if there is a brand of CF card that doesn’t have the safety “rails” to ensure it only goes in the right way or something?

3 Likes

Last bent pin story I heard was with provided CF, OT AE. The guy was used to use CF at work. Can’t tell more but it seems to have a risk.

I’ve no problem using CF, I leave them inside as I was doing with my cameras. Seems more professional! :content:

1 Like

Pardon me if this was already asked, but does anyone know if the red record buttons of this edition can be bought for a Mk2 upgrade? I dig the red there, would love to change those buttons on my OT Mk2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

not a chance (officially) - this is as a courtesy to those who paid for limited editions !

although it may not be so offensive on a grey one - but nonetheless, to avoid the possibility that the premium vibe is diminished I don’t think these will be sold unless you demonstrate an issue with your registered AE

3 Likes

It would be good to know what particular brand of card was used in these rare instances.

There is a metal bar over the CF slot which should make it pretty difficult to insert at a wrong angle.

1 Like

I would be very ready to exchange the red buttons for the ( maybe? seems on photo…)better readable texts on the regular black mk2.
Also not sure, but from photos it seems on grey mk2 the words headphones vol are also better readable than other words ( copy, track trig edit…), while on new black copy etc is written brighter. ( same on mk1)
I speak as a beginner. Also as a beginner i think its a great, strange and addictive machine. I like the compressor, could it be that david carretta used it? Satisfying kicks…

1 Like

100€ per button + shipping…

4 Likes

Happy to trade if you like :slight_smile: PM me if so, don’t worry if not :wink:

2 Likes

Teenage Engineering??? …is that you? … :slight_smile:

4 Likes