Octatrack MKII Anniversary Edition

Just checked a local store here in Oslo (Norway) and they still have two left: ELEKTRON OCTATRACK MKII AE

I have no idea about international shipping though.

is the AE really going to hold value above 1000ā‚¬ 2 years from now, when thereā€™s a black standard edition MkII on the market? 200ā‚¬ per red button, really?

feels a bit like a cynical and lazy marketing move to release a marginally improved Octatrack with an obviously diminished aesthetic, then fix its aesthetic in a limited edition build, then offer the fixed aesthetic in continued production once the segment of the market to whom $ is no object have jumped on the opportunity. while investing all new R&D in reaching the consumer electronics budget market segment.

3 Likes

Difficult to predict, my guess is that it will not hold a very high value-specially in the world we live today, with a super fast moving technology.

Most people hopes and believe the OT AE will gain a very high value like it happened with the MD and MnM

We will see

Who buys an OT for its future value!?

7 Likes

I got it for his look and because this is a machine iconic to me already. I dont care about his value ā€¦ and yes, Iā€™m a bit collector too lol

My guess is that a lot of people on here who bought them simply did so because they love the OT, and so resale value isnā€™t their chief motivation for buying one.

Elsewhere I guess some people might have bought them with resale value in mind, and some just bought them to flip for a quick buck.

It seems logical to assume that they will probably hold their value quite well over time, but I think that is the same for most Elektron gear, mk1 units seem quite below what they could be, but I think after a few years they will be sought after like MD and MnM are, some people prefer the form factor and design of them.

I think the regular black and grey mk2 OT both look great FWIW.

2 Likes

I bought one with resale value in mind. Iā€™ve been wanting to try OT for ages, and when the AE was announced it was 1) a chance to try one out without losing any money if I decide itā€™s not for me, and 2) a signal from Elektron that the OT was not going to be replaced any time soon.

Anyway thereā€™s a lot of salt in this thread for no good reason. There are lots of OT purchase options out there. If you have a strong opinion on whether the REC buttons should be red for ergonomic reasons, youā€™re probably already familiar enough with OT that itā€™s not going to make a usability difference for you.

3 Likes

Nostradamus.

3 Likes

Are Elektron making dvd players now or something?

OT has changed the way I do music. Having a special version of it enhance my attachement to the machine and renew my inspiration. Lot of people here are musicians and know what Iā€™m talking about. We buy new stuff because they inspire us. Sticking to the same machine / synth forever leads to a lack of inspiration.

In my experience, itā€™s more about that than a Ā« 3 red buttons Ā» things that some people are talking about.

1 Like

He must have a place there. As a reminder, he made Blade Runner OST in Paris :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Vangelis trades synthesizers for piano and finds life after the film score

Next up - Vangelis trades piano for Elektron machines and gets into idm

4 Likes

the model: series. but also the general trend of cheaper products with no individual analog outputs, less depth in synthesis parameters, etc. this is targeting a different market segment than MD, MM, OT, AR, A4/K do.

Soā€¦

A major reason for me to get the OT AE was that I am soooooo happy that Elektron doesnā€™t get rid of its - how Iā€˜d like to call it - line of ā€žvisionaryā€œ instruments.

The OT was so visionary when it came out and still is, even changing the source while sampling is just a p-lock away. I mean you can multi-dimensionally (p-locks+slides, LFOā€™s and scenes) morph up to 256 parameters etc. Just examples, although I think itā€™s not about the features on its own, but the OT as a whole device.

Thereā€™s a lot of potential to discover when opening your mind to the offered possibilities, even after 10 years.

2 Likes

just clarifying what I meant by the more entry-level budget market! there is a time and place for all these instruments, and Iā€™m not bashing the model: series.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never purchased a synth with the intention of flipping it at a profit, but that is how several folks in this thread have been discussing the rationality of buying into the OT AE.

when buying any new hardware, on the other hand, I always think about how much itā€™s likely to depreciate in resale value over time, because you never know when you need to sell somethingā€”no matter how much you bond with it.

1 Like

one of you guys owes me big time because the other day I bought an mpc retro from American musical and mistakenly bought the Oct AE, found out when checking the confirmation and had to laugh, quickly called them up and got it switchedā€¦ Iā€™m expecting you to send me my cut whomever you are when you sell it and get rich.

I can not believe itā€¦ just arrived.

266/350

Really did not think to find oneā€¦

5 Likes