Offer from label....but

Yeah this sounds like a scam… sorry!

By the way: what is the point of a record label these days?The function of actually distributing/releasing music has become useless as any artist can do it themselves, so whats left? Is a label just a platform for promotion? In that sense, would influencers with a lot of online reach be the best labels of the future? Is it gatekeeping/redacting the content? In that case, would labels be more like radio dj’s nowadays?

I don’t think the default assumption is that it’s impossible, but the vast majority are and it’s good to discuss how scams prey on people with disposable money to burn as this kind of exploitation of creatives/hobbyists is all over the internet.

Photographers have been getting “Advance Fee” fraud pushed on them for many years, where someone not in their area tells them about a fake gig, sends them an extremely large (counterfeit) check to be used for flight, material costs… only the photog needs to wire them bak some “small percentage” back for totally legitimate reasons!

A simple rule, beware of anyone who cold spams you and asks for money.

Doesn’t matter what they promise in return, doesn’t matter that they offer some service you may or may not receive.

Once I pay they’ll send me the contract

This sentence is a million :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:

1 Like

Ask them what type of mastering they mean? Is it just technical stuff like lufs or whatever so that it plays nicely on stream sites or do they think it needs a professional polish? If the former, tell them to pay for it themselves. If latter, they might be onto something and I’d definitely considering splitting the costs or something.

Also ask what them releasing the track can give you. Is it just a digital release, meaning larger audience and possibly money on the slim chance it becomes a hit? Because in that case I’d tell them to pay for the mastering themselves and negotiate a deal where you get split the profits like 50/50 and you keep all rights to the song.

A good label organizes a party by themself, or makes a label night at a venue (where their artists play), the label has a ckear style and vision for their music.

Drumcode stands for a certain sound or Iboga etc. A groovebox label would be a cool thing.

3 Likes

Yeah!

It’s like “I’ll get your track mastered and I’ll keep the rights to it if you give me $69. It’s a win/win, you give me 2 things: money and the music”

They probably just upload the track to LANDR, if you’re lucky!

2 Likes

In that vein I found this website that seems to connect you with Bloggers, influencers, promoters, curators, etc… People who specifically write about and promote other peoples music.

https://www.submithub.com/

I haven’t tried it but it could be helpful to get some promotion and reach if you’re self releasing.

3 Likes

I don’t wanna come off as offensive, but I’ll run the risk.

If somebody asked me to put out a track I produced that I think is nothing special, I wouldn’t accept. There is so much stuff out there that is underwhelming, I wouldn’t want to add anything to the stockpile.

3 Likes

Trax.space is a free alternative to submit your music to streaming services.

They take a small percentage of royalties unless you pay for premium

I‘ve gotten the exact same offer from Mojoheadz a few times now.

Earlier in the year I took it seriously and instead of paying them to master I got it mastered elsewhere, sent them the mastered copy and they said “much better, sounds great, but we’ve decided to pass on your release”

any label who sees potential in your music would take care of mastering themselves and offer you a contract to share profits, that is, if they see you fit for their label, and more than likely want to incorporate you as an artist on their roster for future releases as well.

4 Likes

@MidLyfe

Blockquote
much better, sounds good, but we decided to forward your output"
:roll_eyes:
Hello, After posting this message.
What was the turn of your adventure? Did M’H’R’ booking you… Or what?

No, it was the end of communication.
Just last month they offered the same on a different track, random profiles on soundcloud join my page, make the same offer, and then disappear as “deleted user”

I exchanged a few emails with them, but it seems they are only interested in selling me that offer to master my track for 69 usd.

5 Likes

There are loads of these talent scouting agencies on Soundcloud promising to promote your talent etc. Every time I post a track I get likes from one of these vampires looking for a sucker they can exploit.

3 Likes

Are they on bandcamp too?

1 Like

Most labels will master the track for you. This is a scam

2 Likes

i don’t know what can you expect from label that haven’t got 69 bucks to master one track.

3 Likes

Probably not a scam, just a bad deal. That’s an ok rate for mastering TBH, just lame that they want you to pay for it. But, if your track gets plays and attention, they’ll probably pay all costs for future tracks as they’ll get their investment back. Sucks but it is what it is. Ask to see the contract before doing any mastering or forking money over.

On Soundcloud, most of the people reaching you are offering scam.
If you need a proof, the users get deleted.
I have spoken about such problem with Soundcloud and they are actually clueless about how to fight this, even if I suggested numerous way of blocking spammers.
They just don’t want to fight this. Maybe even have some monetization system, who knows.

This platform is low level crap.
I even got ads while listening to my own tracks, even though I give them money!
Next year I’ll put all my tracks on bandcamp and delete my SC account.

8 Likes

I haven’t had any problems with Bandcamp. Nobody ever comes to my page anyway… my stats for the last two years are pitiful… :sob: :rofl:

3 Likes

Eh, I’d be interested to hear if this was a scam. Deals similar to this are the norm in the band world, unfortunately.

seems like a scam - pretend that you’re a record label (which outside of them either paying for stuff like mastering upfront or having a huge following/network isn’t something you necessarily need) and get people to spend $69 on mastering, then just stick their track on your bandcamp and say you “released it”.

I mean, maybe deals like that are the norm in band world - but that just means record labels scam artists. Which isn’t much of a newsflash! Look at the royalty rates they pay out for downloads.

1 Like