Orchestral music reminiscent of electronica/synth-driven music?!?!

Hey y’all,

My son is 5 and he is loving classical
Music these days—I’ve never spent the time to get too into orchestral music, but am wanting to dive a little deeper.

We’ve been listening to the obvious old-school classics, but I put some Jonny Greenwood on the other day and we both enjoyed it—some of the tracks even reminded me of synthesizers (cool warbly detuning of violins , really cool arpeggios, percussive plocks, etc). My skin was crawling in a good way.

Is there any modern type orchestral
Music like this that would appeal to my synthy lizard brain?

5 Likes

Oliver Messiaen: Exotic Birds

5 Likes

You might enjoy the Bartok string quartets. Start with #4.

[Edit: not orchestral… but chamber music > orchestral music, I will take no questions.]

3 Likes

There is so much. This is some of my favorite sort of thing.

Two composers that might start my list for this are Einojuhani Rautavaara and Väinö Raitio.

There is a ton more in this category, actually genres within of genres of this sort of thing.

The one piece of music in this category that i would recommend, if i can recommend only one, is “Moonlight on Jupiter” by Väinö Raitio. It’s harder to find but worth it.

Rautavaara actually wrote for synths with a symphony like his Symphony No. 6 “Vincentiana” though this is not his best work ( imo ).

Also listen to the regular ( US ) National Public Radio show Extra Eclectic.

Most shows will include at least one piece for some combination of classical instruments, with electronic effects. Popular choices now are smaller string groups with reverbs and electronic resonators that are played along with the group. Steve Seel and the other hosts of that show really know their stuff.

ADDED : Jessica Meyer is a great example of someone who writes for strings and electronics. Like viola and loop pedal, specifically the Boss Loop Station.

ADDED : Vincentiana is about Van Gogh, with the synthesizer parts used to show his troubled mental experiences. Never have found detail on the synth used.

6 Likes

When i was five my favorite piece of classical music ( and i remember the first time i heard it vividly ) was Charles Ives – The Unanswered Question. My brain was on fire with that.

I discovered his Three Places in New England not too long after that and was in heaven. The idea of colliding marching bands just caught my imagination.

At five i HATED Copland, ( not as a person, i mean his music ) and still do to this day.

2 Likes

I feel like there is so much. So much classical music is concerned with texture. I always hear strong crossover with electronic compositions for that reason alone.

4 Likes

Maybe you could try Herr, unser Herrscher, the beginning of Bach’s Saint John Passion.

Bach - Opening Chorus Herr, unser Herrscher from St John Passion BWV 245 | Netherlands Bach Society - YouTube

Or Wagner’s Rheingold prelude ?

Prelude DAS RHEINGOLD - YouTube

Feldman’s String Quarter 2. Headphones and a beverage recommended.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily direct orchestral music but has many elements of it built in. A nice Arp, a piano, strings, pads, everything your heart desires.

1 Like

For classical pieces reworked with synthesizers, look no further than Isao Tomita.

4 Likes

Obvious call, but have you listened to Philip Glass?

7 Likes

I was about to recommend Tabula Rasa… I love that piece.

3 Likes

Another minimalism classic, not traditional orchestra but maybe relevant.

6 Likes

Holst has been plagiarised by Hollywood sci-fi composers for the last 100 years

The version by Dutoit is the best recorded version.

2 Likes

Very different than my earlier suggestions !

George Antheil – Death of the Machines ( 1923 ) ( queued to final part ) Extremely short video clip.

Euclidean rhythms perhaps ?

1 Like

Max Richter’s recomposed Vivaldi is an obvious answer to this kind of question but through my book shop I stumbled into Technophonic Chamber Orchestra which is kinda cool. It’s more in the vein of techno made with orchestra samples but have a listen and see if it’s something that your son might enjoy.

2 Likes

This:

I’d love to have synths that make these textures.

2 Likes

One of the greatest albums recorded for me. 6 marimbas/6 pianos is close behind.

1 Like

2Cellos

1 Like