Orchestral music reminiscent of electronica/synth-driven music?!?!

Max Richter’s Sleep also fits the brief very well (for me, at least)

1 Like

Dawn of Midi uses traditional instruments, but their arrangements are more akin to techno/electronic music.

3 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned William Orbit’s Pieces in a Modern Style.

1 Like

Not orchestra but same vibe

I’ve been listening to this track addictively for a year

2 Likes

Not orchestral, and it even uses synths, so maybe not what you’re looking for, but I love this performance:

3 Likes

BT’s Electrinonic Opus has some nice arrangements blended in with the original EDM / Ambient too

I don’t want to self-promote myself too much but here’s what I do nowadays.
All the music was originally released on my albums so it’s actually “synth” music arranged for a band of seven acoustic musicians (including myself).

5 Likes

Not sure if this quite fits your request kinda of fusion of electronic and classical… either way, it’s pretty stunning imho:

2 Likes

I’ll second the notion for Richter’s recomposed Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I just got my wife that album on vinyl for Christmas (out of print, had to order from UK). In a similar vein, Peter Gregson recomposed Bach Cello Suite for 6 cellos and synths.

Of course Philip Glass is very synth-head friendly. He’s like a cilantro of the classical world. People either absolutely love or absolutely hate is music. There is no middle ground.

Yann Tiersen’s latest album is very synth heavy. Even ignoring the synths, I love how he pushes the boundary of what’s defined as classical.

Hildur Gudnadottir and Eleni Karaindrou are two film composers that embrace the classical domain.

I could go on all day talking about composers, but I’ll end my list with Olafur Arnalds. Classical orchestrations, synths, amazing composition, and super cool dude to boot.

2 Likes

This Paul Dresher composition is one of my favorite orchestral pieces.

It almost sounds like someone is looping the instruments and mixing them to fade in and out, but it’s just a very precise performance of a nuanced composition. Unlike minimalist works of the previous decades, this piece quickly moves between parts, and is very emotive. I highly recommend it.

3 Likes

Actress did an album with the London contemporary orchestra called “lageos” that I love and also the new pharaoh sanders and floating points album with the London symphony orchestra is beautiful. That one is called promises.

1 Like

Nice work. That’s contemporain chamber music. Great sounding.

Must say that i’m not appreciating the drum presence, but that’s just personal taste, and a detail.

Hands down one of my favorite pieces of music.

Thanks for the feedback ! I’m not sure what you mean by ‘presence’, but the acoustics of the venue made it quite hard to mix. I usually like quite dry drum sounds, but that was just impossible as it was captured by all the other mics in the room.

Sorry to have not been clear. I mean that i’m not found of drums within orchestral instrumentation. But that’s very personnal taste. Meanwhile, i really dig the work you made. I like this kind of approach.

1 Like

Oh? I found it rather brilliant, in the contrary. Drums are discreet enough to be not in the front, but still here to get the modern punch…
I really enjoyed it, @chapelierfou! It’s nice to keep watching you evolve in these tough times…

Would be cool to see a collaboration with Tiersen :wink:

2 Likes

I understand. I do appreciate music with punch. I would say that punch can be given without drums. A bit like techno with no kick :smiley:

2 Likes

I totally get it. As I said, all tracks are arrangements of previously released tracks, most of which containing quite important electronic drum parts.
If I were writing from scratch for acoustic instruments, maybe I would make a different choice.

2 Likes

Yeah I really like this I’ve watched it a few times.

I really understand what you mean. I find that that it’s pretty a great work to translate your electronic creation into a orchestral chamber music work. Great result.
I shouldn’t have mentionned my taste. Sorry. It deserved my intention that was only to express my admiration for your work :smiley:

2 Likes