Orchestral music reminiscent of electronica/synth-driven music?!?!

No worries et all. On the contrary, it’s a music forum, that’s always great to discuss about music !

2 Likes

Tonight they played Eight Seasons ( Concerto for Theremin ) composed by Kalevi Aho recorded in live performance from the BBC Proms this August 4th. Truly inspired music !! I’ve never heard a classical Theremin performance like this – ever.

Carolina Eyck both played the Theremin and wordlessly sang, often simultaneously with completely separate parts and rhythms. Virtuoso. I can only think of this like hand independence on piano, but this is in another realm entirely. Much of the Theremin was technique i’ve never heard. And many times the Theremin technique changed. From extremely low voicing at the beginning, and also later, to popping glissandos, to frequent microtonal parts, to bird whistles at the end, with some echo too, and lots of other things that are hard to describe.

I love the contrasts given at various times through this piece – between the Theremin and voice, Theremin and violin, Theremin and flute, and Theremin and cello. And much more. I have to hear this again.

And this was live, no retakes. Stunning performance by the entire orchestra.

Stockhausen. And I listen to walterwendy Carlos hooked on Bach a lot.

Not mine, but here it is on Digitone: