OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

martin pas in Italy has the boum. excellent shop !

3 Likes

Just added a Boum to my setup.

It’s made the biggest sonic difference to my setup of anything in the last 18 months. It’s very impressive.

To put in context, in the last year and a half I’ve added a Heat MK2, OB6 and a Syntakt.

Great box.

13 Likes

a delight

8 Likes

Can you elaborate on the difference you’re hearing?

and the settings you are using on BOUM?

Sure.

I have the Boum between my Octatrack and my Tascam Model 24.

I have a Syntakt going into my Rytm MK2.

I have the Rytm going into the Octatrack MK2.

I compress gently in the Rytm.

The OT has material sampled from my other hardware.

With the Boum engaged things are much more present. Like Much More Present.

With an output volume that doesn’t change, the a Boum brings everything into view bit maintains which dynamics so things still sit comfortably. And it does this with ease.

I mix with the Boum already engaged as it’s easier to mix everything this way I find.

I perform live with the Rytm, OT and Syntakt. I’ll be taking the Boum without fail from now on.

I guess, in summary, the Boum just brings out the sonic detail in my mix. Easier than any other device or software I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

Settings wise…

I’m away for the next 2 weeks so I can’t say exactly.

However, I have between 2 dots and 3 dots on the gain reduction meter.

I use the first distortion type but I’m careful with it.

I’ve got the compression knob set to around 8 or 9 o’clock I think.

Attack is pretty slow; release pretty quick I think.

Not sure that’s enough detail but I’ll do a better job in a couple of weeks if I remember.

5 Likes

thanks and enjoy your holiday

1 Like

the olive drab trinity! these are some of my favorite things

2 Likes

Now I can’t get that song out of my head!!

My brother used to practice this over and over for a jazz class when we were young.

1 Like

I use a very similar setting on mine. Set it up as an external effect in Ableton and just run stuff through it all time.

The thing about this box is that the distortion, compressor and filter are all super thick and warm. They deliver in such a nice way.

2 Likes

i must admit, am blown away !

1 Like
4 Likes

I don’t know if any of you guys are into dirty sounding house/techno, but I have been somewhat breaking the rules and running full mixes through the Boum with the tube distortion on and a little compression and high cut with the mix knob around 9-10 o clock. It can take a clean sounding tune and bring out all these harmonics and just change the whole vibe in a good , aggressive lo-fi way. A big 808 or 909 kick really makes it pump pretty hard too. It glues everything together so well, it’s nuts.

Its easy to go crazy with too much distortion, but I find myself doing it a bit anyway, and it works really damn well with the Boum.

12 Likes

No-one here likes this.

13 Likes

What rules are you breaking?

the rule of running a full mix through a compressor/saturator?

There’s a rule for this?

Well, no… hence the question mark :sweat_smile:

Oh, I see. Yeah, I agree… I don’t think there’s a rule against this either. In fact, it seems pretty commonplace and only the extent or band-focus of the comp/dist changes for different producers/content.