OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

Yes.

Lower row on the gate for the Boum is a release time for the gate.

6 Likes

My Bim is out for delivery. Pretty excited for it, it will finally complete my collection. I haven’t had any hardware effects other than the Analog Heat (and I tried the Digitech Polara a little bit but was underwhelmed). Don’t know how common it is but really love how the gain staging and distortion works for these units. Like, the fact that I can use a reverb pedal as a diode clipper is pretty fucking cool lol.

Also, don’t sleep on the MIDI capabilities. I’ve got my Hapax controlling mine. The Bam is especially fun and I’m sure the Bim is as well. Plus you can use the Boum to control the master filter or get weirder with it.

MIDI is a requirement for me and any thing I buy.

6 Likes

:100:

Still got my BIM and BAM. Both are my desert island FX box.

I use the BIM for saturation fx, chorus, pseudo reverb, vibrato and of course delay fx. The BAM is also very good. Not cheap but top quality FX with mojo.

That tremolo fx : https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvUr1Eh0R9LlpGdyS4B54C1C2-G1P1ins

2 Likes

That’s correct RE hp filter and yes BIM has the most complex menu interface

I have creatwd my own preset and tend to use always those and the rest i go by ear without spending too much on the interface

BAM and BOUM are a piece of cake to use

1 Like

The Boum is amazing honestly. I run tracks though it and it can take a clean sounding minimal track and make it bang. Don’t be afraid to use distortion settings past the first one. They get very very heavy but the more you learn the machine, the more versatile it gets. The LP filter is great and the compressor is very musical. Besides running mixes and drums through it, it is lethal as a bass guitar pedal too. I constantly find different ways to trash my sounds in a good way.

BIM I got in a trade here. Was not sure if I wanted a hardware delay but this thing rips. I use it mainly as an insert, but it can be set up as a buss effect too. As others have said, the 12 bit mode is amazing for sending tracks through it, but the delay itself is quite awesome. What separates it from a plugin is how the delays kind of melt into the mix. Very tough to explain, but it is a very musical delay that I enjoy sending tracks through and just playing with it and looking for the right pocket. I personally just use the tap tempo on it and don’t use the MIDI as much, but I am going to mess with automating it’s CCs.

These are exceptionally well made effects boxes and they really will appeal to anyone looking for a more lofi, old school vibe on their music.

4 Likes

I’ve had it on my end of chain for a little while now and put everything through it parallel compressed, with my kick feeding the sidechain.

Makes stuff slam :fist:

4 Likes

man you guys are getting me hyped for my Bim and Boum to come in, I have a hunch my Bam is gonna be my least favorite of the three (though I still love it)

Wonderful indeed. Were you able to recreate it? What are the settings?

Do you know what role the mix knob plays in the 12 bit thru mode setting? For example if I have the active button set on 1 or 2 so the BIM is an insert, when I move the mix to halfway, the effect on the sound is much more dramatic when I sweep the delay knob. If I put the mix to 100% the delay knob doesn’t really do much. Just trying to figure that out.

nice, how do you use BIM for saturation?

1 Like

don’t know, also didn’t know you could change the settings for the active button?

What do we have to pay for sovietpops hidden manual?

3 Likes

Yep its in the manual. Very important feature.

Just wanted to mention variable sample rate only happens through the delay path and is not available in thru mode.

I used to run so much stuff through BIM as a limiter or distortion/saturation unit, and that was before thru mode was added. Just use the minimum delay, though it’s best when you can adjust the timing of the track after so you can really play around and get the added SRR when the delay time knob is full clockwise. I think the limiter is also only a part of the delay path.

Someone asked about BAM vs BOUM for saturation or distortion. I never cared for what BAM’s through mode did but maybe I should experiment more.

With BOUM you get four flavors of beautiful distortion, one of the smoothest LPFs available, and a fantastic compressor, so IMO there is as much value in those features as the reverb algos in BAM.

I think if you don’t want all BOUM has but want an OTO box with some saturation and extra features, BIM is the way to go. Chorus, vibrato, various stereo spread options, limiting, several flavors of distortion, sample rate reduction, and oh yeah, it can be used as a delay too.

3 Likes

Ok this explains my thru mode question because I heard nothing when tweaking the delay knob.

But I don’t understand the delay knob part that you are describing. Are you saying to set the delays in the division section and if you turn the delay knob all the way full it reduces the sample rate more? Which mode is best for this, the standard, #1 setting? I need to mess with this.

Yeah that’s pretty much it. I haven’t used BIM in a while but start with a basic delay setting, no effect mode like lofi or distortion or multitap settings. Also make sure your lowpass filter is fully open so you can hear what’s happening on the top end.

I think I typically ignore the division page for this, but set the delay range setting to the fastest, first dot. Now, with no feedback, mix at 100%, start at delay time fully CCW for the cleanest setting, and move CW to reduce sample rate. I will say, it’s subtle and I don’t think I recall hearing much until delay time knob is set to about 3 o’clock. Also given its subtlety, it might just be something you hear in the high end of the spectrum, hence my mention of the lowpass filter being open. It won’t completely crunch up the sound but can add some nice texture.

You can get some really nice dry flanging/comb filter effects in BAM’s through mode setting with mix at 50% using the shortest pre delay and modulating the reverb size either manually or via midi.

1 Like

Ok yeah I was doing this to widen up the signal before and it sounds really good but I was just thinking Haas effect when I did it, not bit rate crunch.

The most confusing thing about the BIM for me was the delay knob versus Tap. Like if you tap in a bpm, thats it, dont touch the delay knob or it moves off the bpm. Instead just mess with the divisions and menus. Als you can set the Tap to also sync the LFO but I typically keep it unsynced. So unless I am missing something, the delay knob is there for dialing in unsynced delays.

1 Like