OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

You are spot on with tap tempo vs delay time knob. They are mutually exclusive. I pretty much only use the delay time knob to dial in faster delay times for purposes I mentioned above. Otherwise it’s tap tempo and playing with division and range settings. I also prefer lfo unsynced.

I never liked midi sync because I want to say the division and range settings don’t work from the interface, but it could be fine if you’re controlling those via CC. I suppose the midi clock ticks reset the other time based settings, which is why it behaves that way. BIM is not without its quirks but sure makes some great sounds.

1 Like

Yep these are good things for people to know when they get the machine because its a little quirky but my god it rewards with the lushest sounds once you figure it out.

I agree on MIDI sync, no need for it when you can just tap it in. But I do want to mess with sequencing the CCs. I may connect it to my Oxi sequencer and see what I can pull off.

2 Likes

how does the limiter mode work in BIM?

I believe the setting is “feedback limiter”, but if you run BIM 100% wet at fastest-ish delay times and no feedback, the limiter should work as the input gain gets cranked. You will probably want to attentuate with something after BIM and it’s not a clean sound but can be nice for squashing stuff.

1 Like

I see, I have to spend more time with BIM (was about to sell it, you all made me reconsider)

Pump up the IN GAIN and it saturates.

1 Like

So I’ve had the Bim for a few days now and I’m blown away by the sound. Definitely my flavor of grit that I love but it can also be a very clean delay as well. Just like the Bam and Boum the interface really begs to be played with. Twisting knobs and activating the freeze live is just a lot of fun.

Really cool that there’s multiple freeze modes which I wasn’t aware of: a mode where you press the button to activate and press again to deactivate, a mode where it’s only active when you’re holding the button, these two I was aware of. Then the same two modes but the freeze reverse the delay.

I do agree that the interface is less than perfect, at least with the dots but the sound more than makes up for it. It honestly sounds more of what I thought an analog delay would sound like than the one analog delay I have which is on the Matriarch. And it’s definitely more lively than the fabfilter delay or the Valhalla delay which are my go to delay plug-ins.

It’s really interesting how Oto nailed “the sound” of their company. The three boxes don’t really have any overlapping features yet they all sound like they are from the same company. I love the character they all have.

Really excited to make some music with it.

8 Likes

So which one is you favorite if you could only have one?

I am trying to minimize my setup and do most of my effects itb, but I really feel like I need to keep one outboard effect but just can’t decide lol.

BOUM, the one that I didn’t think I needed but bought anyway… that filter.
then BAM, then BIM.

2 Likes

BOUM for sure. There are no plugins that can really mimic any of the 3 OTO boxes that I have seen (due to their DACs) , but it’s really tough to replicate analog distortion and warmth in the box.

:boom:

9 Likes

BOUM if I could only keep one, but love them all!

…really wish they would make the “Biscuit” again…

4 Likes

Apologies for all the dust… WARNING… zoom horror! it builds up at a supernatural rate… I swear it wasn’t like this when I was younger. where is it all coming from?

4 Likes

That’s a tough question for me lol. I think the Boum makes the most sense just because it offers something plug-ins can’t (granted, do get very close). But I do have an Analog Heat as well and I’d probably take that over the Boum.

I think the Bim might be my favorite though just because it feels like I can do a little bit more with it when it comes to creative uses and the thru mode is gonna be more useful.

You change your filters recently on your furnace / ac?

Sorry I don’t understand/. oh i see… the fire making dust

The filter for your HVAC system in your home might need to be swapped if you haven’t don’t it in the past 3 months, might be the cause of the dust if it feels like it’s an abnormal amount constantly building up.

The heating has been off for the last 6 months… dust build up is insane and has been for a long time… it blows my mind

HVAC system are you kidding? wow, how some people live, I can’t even afford to heat the place

3 Likes

Haha, you could start a Literal Heat vs Oto Boum thread.

3 Likes