OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

Im into pretty distorted house and techno tracks so the Boum is god- like for this. I can glue the drum buss together with it or just hammer the whole mix. Plus use the filter for transitions…it’s pretty powerful and amazing if you like to really get your tracks sounding dirty. It adds a ton of energy to a tune.

6 Likes

Yeah definitely! I like the grit that it adds. I don’t want to squash things too much so not using it on too heavy settings. But the saturation is really musical. Love it.

Must be the first time though that I’m actually going to use a LP filter on the master of my set. Usually not such a fan of that because it’s such an obvious effect, but man does this LP filter sound incredible :heart:. Possibly one of the best LP filter I’ve heard.

9 Likes

Do you get more precise visual feedback with the leds, or have to do that by ear? (I’m pretty bad with gain staging so I love visual gain staging clues)

It’s decent. Not as precise as on the heat for example but it’s workable. In the manual there’s a drawing which shows what each lid up LED means in terms of input level and amount of compression

1 Like

I’ve rarely had to increase the input gain on Boum (or BIM/BAM). Turning it up will bring up the noise floor and add distortion, and that can easily be done after the gain stage if it’s your flavor. If you’re recording, it’s easy to over do it with Boum–I’ve learned to use a lighter touch. For performances–I’m happy to go a little nuts with it.

2 Likes

Has anyone else found that their Boum does not like receiving MIDI clock messages? I’m currently using the OT to send CC messages to the Boum and it only works properly when the OT setting is to NOT send Midi clock. Anyone had this with other MIDI Controllers/sequencers?

OT sends over a ton of ccs and can crash some hardware. I have had that happen myself but never really use MIDI with the Boum.

2 Likes

Got a confirmation from Schneidersladen that a BOUM will be shipped to me. Needed a warming unit for my TR8S and pulled the trigger when I saw that ist available today.

6 Likes

Any of you all send an entire mix through the BIM in Thru mode? I am messing with that now, opened the filters on the BIM and just rolled off the HPF one click. Gets a really nice sound on the model Cycles, which is so clean that it benefits from the dirt.

I then run the BIM into the BOUM and mix in some tube and compression. It sounds amazing. I need to revisit tomorrow and see if my ears still agree though.

4 Likes

never tried it, but sounds like I should sometime!

Still had a few other impressive moments this weekend with the Boum!
I was using Syntakt SY Swarm on bass frequencies, and using every knob to get a filthy and powerful bass line…
Weirdly enough, the compression amount was the knob I used less. The distorsion tamed by the filter, and the level raised to the right point, putting a bit of the original sound with the mix knob, those were the place I got most fun :star_struck:
You only need a few synth notes and nothing else :fire:

This pedal is a jewel.

13 Likes

No audio example? :wink:
They should be in stock soon, will I be able to resist the GAS?

We have played for 6 hours with a 20mn break, I still have to extract significant pieces from this mess… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’d be curious to hear too!

Replaced the knobs w/ Intellijel ones. While iconic, the edges of the stock ones were not great for twiddling.

14 Likes

I cannot condone such sacrilegious behaviour :scream_cat:

4 Likes

Gotta say, those knobs look fantastic.

That loooks great !
Honestly not a big fan of the original knobs either :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the way you can feel the ridge on the side of the knobs so you can use them in the dark. They are part of the overall aesthetic, they look cool IMO.

3 Likes

They definitely look great. In the dark it’s sometimes not immediately clear where the knob’s position is at though.