Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

Yea Ive spent a few hours just messing around with Oxi and GarageBand on iOS and look forward to exploring more apps with ble functions (I’ve largely ignored music apps up until now due to not wanting to ‘play a screen’). My proto unit hasn’t had any issues with ble, in fact, I wonder if the Oxi fellas sent a proto to loopop without ble included due to time restraints for his video… There’s the inherent latency of Bluetooth but you can shift notes early in Oxi to offset the Bluetooth latency to the rest of your project if you’re mixing apps and hardware. As loopop pointed out, if you’re sequencing a bunch of apps you don’t need to worry about latency.

2 Likes

I expected that Loopop would clear up my confusion about what’s a sequencer and what’s a track, etc. But after watching his video, I’m even more confused by this product. Loopop, known for making gear look easy and logical, was uneasy with the button combos. The walkthrough was difficult to follow. I’m a €1 VIP, but as of now, I’m leaning away.

@CarlosUnch - can you please respond to loopop’s observations that the product seems unrefined and the UI inconsistent? What changes are you planning to make from here? To what degree is the interface of button combos locked in?

3 Likes

I’m sure @CarlosUnch will have more specifics, but the ui sees improvement daily based off the feedback from testers/loopop/forums…. You gotta keep in mind how early in the game it is for this product….

There’s no denying that there’s a lot going on in Oxi one… with as many features and capabilities as it offers, there’s going to be a learning curve and some effort needed to take advantage of everything offered.

1 Like

Can the harmonizer be used to transpose incoming midi?

1 Like

Hey Pete.
What Loopop have at hand is a prototype that will have 5-6 months of intense beta testing (currently the units we could manufacture were limited), and thus refinement. There are some rough edges and implementations that need more dedication, but have in mind this is a prototype, even if it totally looks as a finished product from the outside. For me that’s the main point.

As @TheGhostCat said, the updates are coming almost daily even way before release, as it should be of course.

Ziv (loopop) said: “I’m keeping OXI One right in front of me on the table as my MIDI keyboard so feel free to send updates”

He’s not putting OXI aside even after the video you’ve seen, and he does that with pretty much all the gear he reviews.

This means a world to me. He is very excited with what OXI One can already do and all the potential it has, but of course, still a prototype and still time to refine everything.

I really hope you change your mind, I’d like to have seen myself with a VIP price if I were on the other side hah

2 Likes

I think maybe the Loopop vid was a bit premature, it actually put me off a bit, still I will keep my eye on future development, no doubt it looks really capable but the UI has to be great too, so far it looks a bit clunky and illogical for certain things.

1 Like

I don’t think the UI is bad. Loopop confirmed only, what I was expecting, after reading all of our posts above.

IMO the OXI will be a great and very versatile sequencer with features, which I miss on my Pyramid or my MPC. As far as I can assess this from my visitors seat, it’s operation seems similar to a Pyramid, only with more buttons and better overview, what’s going on. I even assume that some operations could be performed very efficiently and quickly.

Now let’s get hands on the real thing ASAP :wink:

5 Likes

Not currently but it may happen, added to the list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Part of the appealing of OXI One is the quickness of actions. Even the more convoluted one is 3 steps maximum.

Stealing a quote, simplicity is not simple, specially with this level of power, so there’s some actions that require fine tuning to be on what an average user would expect from doing that action.

Actually @TheGhostCat and @klaustrophil for sure have a better overview of this, since I’ve been using OXI for long now and for me is a stroll by the beach to use it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be amazing — I’m thinking about using the Oxi along side my T-1, taking advantage of how fast I can generate shifting patterns on the T-1 and then using the Oxi running in parallel to overlay the melodic layer.

2 Likes

Yeah no doubt muscle memory kicks in, I think that consistency can still be implemented with a device that has complexity to bring a bit of simplicity.

Fair to say that lots of gear has inconsistent UI though, especially when features are added after the initial design.

I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on this one though, some of the features look great.

3 Likes

great things are rarely perfect.

2 Likes

Anyone received the link yet?

2 Likes

just received mine.

2 Likes

We are live!

https://igg.me/at/oxi-one

5 Likes

Congrats! Looks as if you’ve already reached your goal!

1 Like

:alarm_clock:

Just received the link, but putting in 500 euros for a hardware sequencer is too much for me at the moment. (Not saying it is too expensive for its feature set, but it still is a substantial amount of money.)

Is 499 the VIP discount or is that for everyone?

First 100