Partner for my Rytm

Friends,

In my ongoing quest to find the perfect friend to my Analog Rytm, I’ve used the Octatrack for awhile as a companion. But lately, I’ve realized more sample options is not what I need. With eight tracks of sample playback awesome in the Rytm, that’s all I need to make sweet sweet candy. And the sound of the Rytm is so different from the Octatrack, it’s starting to get to me. I just prefer the Rytm’s sound much more.

My workflow is a bit tedious. I sample stuff, move those samples to the Rytm and use them there. Loops, sequences, one shots, whatnot. Since I work a lot with harmonics - chords, leads, bass, strings, melodies - I frequently hit bumps on the road, like “Oh, I’d like to have that in C Minor as well” or “Ah, I should’ve made another sequence like that with a pitch lower” and so on.

At which point I must go back to that instrument, create more sounds and sequences, sample them and move them to the Rytm, like one shots or loops or variations of this.

All of this is fine. I don’t mind. It sounds so bloody good once in the Rytm, it’s worth it. And I enjoy tinkering like this, makes you think more about what you’re doing.

But I usually go back and forth between these moments when I need something related to harmonics. More or different notes, so to speak. The Octatrack is just a bridge here, not much help in itself.

So it occurred to me, the companion to my Rytm should perhaps not be more sampling power, but just a synth instead.

Here’s what I’ve tried and dismissed for that purpose:
Tempest - got one. Love it. But it’s a lot of work to just tune in even the simplest sounds sometimes, it’s raw without effects and the sequencer is a bit limited.

Analog Keys - tried it. Liked it, but it was big and clumsy. I work at a ridiculously tight space. It physically almost didn’t fit. I had issues with the sound, but realised afterwards that was just me being silly.

Sub37 - had it. Sold it. It’s awesome. But it’s monophonic, dry and not as evident in a mix as you’d think. And the sequencer, while powerful for a synth of that kind, is still a bit tedious.

Electribe2 - lots to like here. But the depth of sound creation is too shallow. Even the best of the best at this instrument, still create tracks that sound familiar. They’re great compositions, but all ring very same.

Prophet12 - no sequencer. Otherwise, it would’ve been perfect. Love the DSI sound in general!

DSI Evolver desktop version - a bit too old fashioned in interface and structure, but had a lot going for it. Close, close.

So my criteria would be:
Multiple voices and multitimbral - no monophonic options
Oscillators, not samples - it must be top notch in harmonics and composition - which is why samplers only are right out as options
Compact - as in Elektron size compact or close to it
Great sequencer
Flexible sound engine
Needs to look cool on the desk

Are there any options out there besides the Analog4, that fits this bill?

1 Like

Why not the DSI PRO 2?

Edit: Oops just noticed the multimbral prerequisite.

How about an Ambika or a Waldorf Blofeld?

You didn’t (yet) specify analogue, so:

Monomachine
Micron
Command Station
Spectralis
M3-M
Nord Modular G2 (but needs computer for detailed editing)

Is there a reason to dismiss the A4?
It meets all the criteria and, as you said, your issues with the AK sound was just you being silly.

I’d never let my A4 go.
And yes, MonoMachine is another fantastic option.
Yamaha AN200, DX200…
As mentioned Blofeld, great to be sequenced by OT. Other great modules… virus, nord lead…

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like the A4 is a good candidate.
I love having the AR and A4 together, looks bad ass too.
Another plus is running the AR through the A4 and using the effects, and perf mode.

At first I was gonna recommend the Tempest, but you’ve been down that road.

I wish the A4 sounded as raw as the Tempest, and wasn’t as tedious to program.
As you said though, you get in there and tinker with stuff.
Seems with small form factor machines your just not going to get a lot of params on the surface.

Never had a Blofeld, but all I hear are good things.

I have to admit, my first thought upon reading this was Spectralis. To look at it from perhaps a different angle, the sample section is polyphonic. So maybe that would sort of cut out the middle man right there.
-the sample section can be run through dual analog filters and does sound very, very nice.
-there is a digital filterbank and dual delay effects that you could run the Rytm through
-setting aside the sample section, the hybrid synth sounds damn good
-the sequencer definitely qualifies as ‘cool’. It’s actually the most interesting and capable one I have ever used. And it can be called on to sequence external gear if needed, just a little fiddly to set it up, imo.
As for things that don’t exactly fit the needs you’ve laid out:

-it is rather large, at right around 5U. (but it will look awesome on your desk!) :stuck_out_tongue:
-the hybrid synth is monophonic.

I wouldn’t even bring up the Spectralis due to these two points not being what you wanted, except I really think that the other things it offers (mentioned above) might just change the way you approach all of this:

Samples sound great on the Rytm but you don’t want to fiddle around re-recording samples? They sound amazing on the Spectralis and, being polyphonic, that should do away with having to re-record your chords, etc.

Blofelds are quite versatile creatures, the architechture is quite comprehensive. My only gripes are the lack of custom tuning scales, no indi outs, and relatively quiet output levels…

I find the A4 interesting after having fallen in love with Elektron sequencers… However, it seems like the A4 doesn’t do any kind of FM? This is what has been keeping me on the fence about getting one… I’m an FM nut when it comes to synths :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So my criteria would be:
Multiple voices and multitimbral - no monophonic options
Oscillators, not samples - it must be top notch in harmonics and composition - which is why samplers only are right out as options
Compact - as in Elektron size compact or close to it
Great sequencer
Flexible sound engine
Needs to look cool on the desk

Are there any options out there besides the Analog4, that fits this bill?

You didn’t really specify that it should be Hardware.

Considering your worklfow and your spec, a laptop with Ableton and a good controller (push or a fancy monome).
Think about it like a very advanced instrument, not a laptop.

This way you can go back and forth between your laptop and Rytm, changing stuff that you want to record, sample, re-record, layer…

It is probably not the answer that you wanted.

No, quite the contrary, I feel it’s a strong candidate. And as JuanSolo said, it’d look awesome on the desk. I’m just doing my research before I go ahead.

That time which I have spent with an AK or A4, I’ve never quite fallen for it. But it’s my mistake, because I usually start from nothing and build a sound of my own, which I didn’t with this instrument. So I evaluated it primarily on its patches, which is a silly silly thing to do. Had I been that guy, I would’ve never bought and loved the Tempest.

So yes, the A4 is a strong candidate.

No :slight_smile: but it’s good when one’s position is challenged. Makes me consider why I’m doing what I’m doing.
I’ve been down the software route before, but there’s something going on with the physical connection of man and machine through hardware, which just makes it more fun for me. I’m very conservative this way. I’m surrounded by people who use hybrid rigs, which really seems the best way to go - just pick what works for you from whatever options available, and go for it.
But as soon as computers and software are part of it, I just freeze.
It’s psychological. I’m a sick man. But with no insight into my own disease, I remain trapped in my own delusions. And I quite like it there.

[quote="“andreasroman”"]

No, quite the contrary, I feel it’s a strong candidate. And as JuanSolo said, it’d look awesome on the desk. I’m just doing my research before I go ahead.

That time which I have spent with an AK or A4, I’ve never quite fallen for it. But it’s my mistake, because I usually start from nothing and build a sound of my own, which I didn’t with this instrument. So I evaluated it primarily on its patches, which is a silly silly thing to do. Had I been that guy, I would’ve never bought and loved the Tempest.

So yes, the A4 is a strong candidate.[/quote]
It took me 29 days of ownership to go from “meh” to “holy$&;)/&@!/?$!” with my Analog Four.
I looked for other synths with similarities, and if size is important, there is no alternative that I could find.
Portability aside, for value per voice with a similar synth architecture, the only thing that stacked up in analog was the A6 Andromeda. You just gotta buy 16 voices all at once.

This has caught my interest now. Thanks. I’ll be searching YouTube for demos tonight.

Has anyone had their eyes on this one? The Parva?
https://futureson.us

It doesn’t exactly fit the bill as I described it, but it’s interesting enough to consider.

No :slight_smile: but it’s good when one’s position is challenged. Makes me consider why I’m doing what I’m doing.
I’ve been down the software route before, but there’s something going on with the physical connection of man and machine through hardware, which just makes it more fun for me. I’m very conservative this way. I’m surrounded by people who use hybrid rigs, which really seems the best way to go - just pick what works for you from whatever options available, and go for it.
But as soon as computers and software are part of it, I just freeze.
It’s psychological. I’m a sick man. But with no insight into my own disease, I remain trapped in my own delusions. And I quite like it there.[/quote]

No I completly get it as I am exactly the same. I just use the laptop to record the end product.
Nevertheless it seems that Push really PUSH the boundaries software/hardware: lots of people claim that you don’t have to look at the screen anymore. Super user friendly.
I would advise to try it if you get the chance.

Else A4 is probably the best :joy:

On and off, the Micron and the MiniAk show up on the used market here in Sweden, and I’m always listening to demos and think- this sounds pretty good. And I read the specs, and I think - hookay, that’s pretty impressive. And the asking price is like the equivalent of 200€.
I don’t get it. An eight voice, multi timbral, internal fx, sequencer with drums and patterns, 37 keyboard synth for the price of a MicroKorg.
What went wrong? How could this instrument - the Micron or the MiniAk - not have been a success?
This doubt it what keeps me from getting one. There has to be something inherently flawed, since they never took off and don’t go for much when they’re available second hand.

Just to make things interesting, I am also considering vintage Electribe - like the EA MKII. It doesn’t entirely fit my own description, but it’s close enough - and the raw sound has character, which is important.

I don’t need a ton of voices, but I need the sequencer, the fx and the voice editing to be interesting - not necessarily stacked with features, just interesting. The Electribe2 is, in that regard, not so interesting. Whereas the older Tribes, I think, are.

Remember - my rig is slim. It’s the one companion to my Rytm I’m looking for, and that’s it. All other potential gear I own are just sources for samples. For which I will be shot over at the Tempest forum if i say that out loud, that it’s a source for samples sequences and one shots, but if that’s the case, then I will ask for a last smoke and to not be blindfolded while they’re firing.

Certainly an interesting option :slight_smile: though massive in size.
But 16 voices commands respect in the room, no doubt.

If you were “meh” to begin with, what made you buy it? Were you first impressed, then less impressed when you got it, and then impresssed again?
I’m curious as I’m sort of not impressed by the A4 right now, but I look at what it can do, I look at the quality of Elektron’s output in general, I listen to demos where some actually are really nice, and I realise that it’s in there in the box, I just have to dig to find it.
Still, compare to the Tempest - it took me about 30 seconds and I was like “Goddam”. And the Tanzbaer, took me just one shot from the kick, and I was like “What in the name of all that’s holy”.
Some instruments just reveal their potential right away. Others take time.

blowfelt, for most of the presets yes but actually the output levels are quite hot if you know where to look :wink: the arp on the other hand… so cool but it sux! always 5-10ms out of sync… its completely hamstrung. its a very tame but detailed typical DSP sound… some filter settings it sounds real analogue, others, like a weak plastic output amplifier sound.
I A/B’d the pulse 2 and blofeld and the pulse sounds huge in comparison.