Partner for my Rytm

Had a Tempest, and loved the sound, playability, and interface, but the sequencer/project/8 event limit quirks had me switching to the RYTM as soon as the RYTM came out.

So after acquiring an OT, then the RYTM, I wanted a small form poly.
Hence the A4 went on my radar, thinking if I didn’t like it, I could sell it for roughly what I paid for it. Got one second hand for 900.
Didn’t care for ANY demos I heard on the internet, however everything else seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Sequencer, effects, I/O options, etc.
Once I got it, it was obvious the sound was amazing and extremely versatile.
No regrets at all, however, it’s not going to do that raw power thing that some DSI gear does, and it’s not going the feel as immediate as the Tempest.

Anyway OP had an AK so he should know if he likes the A4/AK sound or not… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote="" andreasroman""]

If you were “meh” to begin with, what made you buy it? Were you first impressed, then less impressed when you got it, and then impresssed again?
I’m curious as I’m sort of not impressed by the A4 right now, but I look at what it can do, I look at the quality of Elektron’s output in general, I listen to demos where some actually are really nice, and I realise that it’s in there in the box, I just have to dig to find it.
Still, compare to the Tempest - it took me about 30 seconds and I was like “Goddam”. And the Tanzbaer, took me just one shot from the kick, and I was like “What in the name of all that’s holy”.
Some instruments just reveal their potential right away. Others take time.[/quote]
It looked good on paper. Mind you, I bought it after the poly update, so I haven’t had to bare the growing pains.
4 voices, multi timbral, Elektron sequencer with polyrhythms, p-locks, micro timing. The fact that each voice has two sub oscillators with several options for each made me view it as a 4 osc/voice synth, and I still do.

I had a Rytm, and A4 seemed like the perfect companion. Watched a couple cuckoo vids. Seemed great.

The thing that was holding me back with it was feeling constrained by the 4 tracks. Eventually, I got around it by making my own sound pool for sound locks with some great patches that allow me to push past that limitation. Also, as I was nearing the end of the first month and not really loving it so I decided before returning/exchanging it, I would really buckle down and focus on making s few tracks with it, and (most importantly) hitting the lock limit on the Performance mode. Forcing myself to do this unlocked some things with A4 that just hadn’t clicked before. The things I was writing with A4 soon became more complex and more interesting to my own ears.
Then, I decided to try hitting the p-lock limit on a few kits I made patterns with, but only p-locking in the OSC section. Again… level up.

So then I decided to keep it. Soon after, I found a good deal on a used Nord Drum1, which I now sequence via A4’s 4 CV outputs as triggers. Midi sends program change too, so it’s a great pair. ND1 Mono output is no sweat, as I can p-lock pans and fx sends to each of the external inputs, independently, on the FX track. I still have a free external input to send through A4’s lush stereo FX.
Funny thing is I was feeling constrained by 4 voices, but now I have 8 voices when you include the ND1 on the CV track.

Also, A4 synthesizes some amazing drums. I have a couple sample chains in my Rytm that are 100% A4 drums.

F&#K!
I feel like I am wanting to trade my A4 for a Tempest now.
Tempest is just so fun to play, sounds so good.

Let me know if you’d consider trading. :wink:

I believe that Alesis was on the way out, messed up by the relative commercial failures of the Andromeda and the Fusion.

The Micron was a unique experiment in innovative UI, designed around the Ion VA sound engine, with the aim of making a fun and low-budget synth:
designer
review

It was a success in terms of sales. It has a bad reputation because of the innovative UI and the failure rate of the main encoder. (It’s actually a very similar story to the Electribes.)

If a Micron/MiniAk or old Electribe fits your needs, and you can check that the unit is in good condition, you shouldn’t hesitate to try either.

It certainly does on paper, and it’s not the first time one of these babies show up on my radar.
This time, I’m gonna give it a go. I’ve made my decision - I’m going vintage, to see what that offers. An EA MKII or a Micron it is (I’d rather stay away from the MiniAk, the Micron looks cooler - not unimportant when your music desk is located in the living room). It’s a no-risk affair and if it doesn’t work, the A4 is still there.
Thanks for the advise!

1 Like

You know, I remember you used to frequent the Tempest forums, being very skilled and knowledgeable in all ways Tempest.
The fact that you want one again, makes me think that I’m definitely not giving it up :slight_smile:
For what it’s worth, I sold my first Tempest, figuring it’s just too much hassle to get anything decent from it.

I regretted this and a couple of months later, traded it back. Now, it’s not going anywhere.

This, I find interesting. I hear this a lot, that the A4 has killer drums.
Unexpected, but very interesting. This makes it more like the Tempest than you’d think. Ironically, it’s the other way around there - Tempest saying it’s mainly a drum machine, but seriously it’s a killer six voice synth that just happens to make awesome drums too.

And the A4, being a killer synth but seriously, it does amazing drums, too.

Ah, the irony.

[quote="" andreasroman""]

This, I find interesting. I hear this a lot, that the A4 has killer drums.
Unexpected, but very interesting. This makes it more like the Tempest than you’d think. Ironically, it’s the other way around there - Tempest saying it’s mainly a drum machine, but seriously it’s a killer six voice synth that just happens to make awesome drums too.

And the A4, being a killer synth but seriously, it does amazing drums, too.

Ah, the irony.[/quote]
This track is my latest 100% A4 creation. No Nord Drum in this. All those drums are over 2 voices.
One take, stereo recorded, some light DAW compression afterward.

Roland JD-Xi might be of interest to you.
Sounds good in the various demos I have heard.

I feel like the A4 is gonna be the best bang for your buck.
If not that the MnM is also a great choice.
I know I sound like an echo of what other people have said, but these units play so well together it’s hard to dismiss that.
Another box sounds like the best option if the AK was too big and clunky.

Other than that . . . PROPHET 12!
You can sequence it with your OT just like it had it’s own sequencer and it’s going to be able to do everything the other two could do combined and more.
Bitimbrality kinda sucks, but considering what you can do with one channel, it’s not as limiting as you’d think.
Get over to the dark side!

I was afraid you’d show up and say just that. I’ve been tempted by that synth so many times.
The P12 Module is a thing of beauty. If it had a sequencer, I would’ve gone for it in an instant. And tempting as it is to hook it up to the Octa, I’m adamant in keeping the rig small. Three boxes is one too many.
But you certainly woke my interesting for this module again.

Thanks! Will check it out. Played it in the store the other day, it’s an impressive synth for the money, to say the least.

Thanks :slight_smile: Just in time as I was about to put my children to bed.
I will play this unreviewed for them, while I read them their bedtime story.
This is as close to living on the edge as I get these days.

If you want a great compact-form synth you could control with the Octatrack, I’d suggest an Access Virus Indigo 2; such a powerful & versatile sound. I actually just picked up a nice used one I was going to pair with an Octatrack, but I decided I want a RYTM instead; so I’m actually selling mine. Let me know if you’re interested; I’m selling it for $775 plus shipping.

Can the P12 accept instant midi program change?
If so, I reckon one could use MnM or OT sequencer to do “sound per step” parameter locks on each P12 layer.
Might open things up a bit to get past that bitimbral limitation (also might make it more convincing for my own uses).
Seeing Dataline sequence a BS2 with MnM in this manner really opened my eyes for getting around those voice limitations.

One other unmentioned option as a partner to the Rytm is another Rytm…

Ambika seems interesting.
You tried one? What’re they like?

Can the P12 accept instant midi program change?
If so, I reckon one could use MnM or OT sequencer to do “sound per step” parameter locks on each P12 layer.
Might open things up a bit to get past that bitimbral limitation (also might make it more convincing for my own uses).
Seeing Dataline sequence a BS2 with MnM in this manner really opened my eyes for getting around those voice limitations.[/quote]
OT can’t send program changes per step, only per track per part. This is a feature that only the silver boxes offered AFAIK

imho the (integrated) sequencer makes it complicated to choose the right synth. If u were used to the Elektron boxes it could be tricky to find one with almost similar functionality.

So the point of view leads to the origin synth capabilities: The Virus TI2 is a good choice in combination with Monomaschine or an Octatrack. Setting up and syncing can be difficult sometimes, but the result is very nice.

If it could be a VST based synth consider the NI-Maschine. It’s integration into a bigger rig offers pretty much possibilities. It runs very stable and syncing is easy.

Greetz
dp