Partner for my Rytm

Ambika seems interesting.
You tried one? What’re they like?[/quote]
I haven’t used an Ambika, but I have a Shruthi-1, which is supposedly a mono version of the ambika. Just got my Shruthi-1 fitted with a Polivoks filter and I am really digging it :heart:

It’s a DCO-based synth with an analog filter + VCA, but being a Mutable Instruments product, has a few tricks up it’s sleeve, like XOR osc summing (only one osc summing mode out of many!) and 2 meta-sources for the 12-slot mod matrix, where you can do bit operations with the mod sources. And the sound is characterful, especially since you can change the filter module (at least 6 diff. filter modules are available) :alien:

If I knew how to solder I’d most likely buy an Ambika, but alas, no skills with the iron - a prebulit Ambika would cost around 1k from tubeohm (ie. out of my this years’ budget) :sob:

No sequencer tho on the Ambika, I didn’t realize that was one of your essential features for the synth.

No sequencer tho on the Ambika, I didn’t realize that was one of your essential features for the synth.

There is a sequencer on the SHruthi/Ambika!

Each part of Ambika has a sequencer / arpeggiator. The sequencer consists of:
[ul]
[li]2 step-sequences, up to 32-step long, which can be freely routed to any modulation source in the modulation matrix.[/li]
[li]1 note pattern, up to 32-step long.[/li]
[/ul]

Not as powerfull as Elektron though. It is like a tracker!

Thanks for clarifying. Yet another reason to love my MnM.

Maybe I am incorrect in my assumptions, but I always associated DCOs as analog oscillators which are controlled digitally, which is a different oscillator style from the digital waveform synthesis that the Ambika/Shruthi employs.

1 Like

I wish the A4 … wasn’t as tedious to program

That’s the one thing Overbridge has really solved for me. You can create cool patches/kits and hook them up to the performance knobs quickly as any other soft synth but, of course, still retain the ability to unplug and perform with just the A4.

DCOs as analog oscillators which are controlled digitally

This is correct; DCO = Digitally Controlled Oscillator means tuning and other considerations are kept under wraps via a digital chip rather than voltage controlled.
They don’t sound as warm or fat as VCOs, but are much more stable.
The Shruthi/Ambika are both wavetable oscillators with an analog signal path via a VCA and a VCF of your choosing (I prefer the SSM2044) after the oscillators.

Almost just like the, um, what was that other synth again that was getting so much love . . . . . . . . . . . THE PROPHET 12?!
BOOM! Roasted!
(I think I did that wrong.)

PS They don’t make the Ambika anymore, so you would have to find it second hand or source all the parts yourself.
I think the spec and build instructions are still on the site.
You could ask Olivier over at Mutable for them, if not; he’s a super nice guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mutable-Instruments-Shruthi-1-Polivoks-The-Brute-Synthesizer-/281709192023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41972d2357

At the bottom of this eBay item this guy says:
“Feel free to MSG me with any personal needs. I can do Custom builds of any Shruthi-1 filter variety including XT and will also build to order the Anushri and Ambika with any filter board setup.”

Not sure how much it would cost compared to a boxed unit, but it may be worth looking into.
I built and still occasionally use the original Shruti-1 and it sounded awesome.

Ambika seems interesting.
You tried one? What’re they like?[/quote]
Blofeld is the most flexible in terms of sound design parameters. It shines at complex evolving pads, and as Don Solaris’s patch set demonstrates is no slouch as a VA. It has some unique features that I haven’t seen in other hardware implementations (someone correct me if I’m wrong), like using wavetables (and samples, if you shell out $99 for the Sample License) as carriers and modulators in FM and all of its filter drive curves. I like how easy it is to load your own wavetables into it.

The cons are that navigating through menus with the main encoder can be frustrating (and if you disliked the Evolver desktop, you wouldn’t like this any better), and beyond the nice comb filter the analog-modeled filters don’t sound too great with resonance. I’m trying to determine now whether I can be just as satisfied replacing it with an iPad running Nave and Thor, as the interface doesn’t really add value and I’d probably end up just sampling it into my OT for a live performance anyway.

Ambika is a pretty gorgeous hybrid that’s kind of like a Juno 106 on LSD-spiked nootropics. If you stick with the analog-modeled wavetables, its SMR4 filter will yield sounds quite close to a Juno (see this A/B) and some epic strings (listen to the Planar patch at the beginning of [url=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrRIxwBt44”]this video). But beyond that you apply bitcrushing, distortion, hard sync, XOR cross-modulation, and more to the oscillators, which include FM-modeled wavetables that sound lovely, vowel formant wavetables, most of the crazy wavetables (although in lower-res) from its creator’s Eurorack module Braids, and several wavetables plucked straight from Waldorf’s lineage. Also, you get a generous modulation matrix where you can create modulators using math operators or slew, and you have 6-part multitimbrality with 6 individual outs.

The interface is not bad in terms of menu diving – much better than the Blofeld, and comparable to the AR. However, I wish the knobs were encoders rather than potis because the context changes every time you switch pages. Other issues are that you often encounter some unmistakable, hissy aliasing with the filter open on higher notes; on long releases the tail cuts out abruptly a bit too early (this is due to the 8-bit envelopes but could be masked with reverb); the lack of stereo outputs means you will need to use up to 6 mixer/interface inputs for its full stereo image; and if anything should go wrong with a unit, you had better know how to solder or at least be in touch with its original builder.

I think they make a good pair, as the Ambika sounds best with its filter partially closed and IMO the Blofeld does its thing best in the high-frequency spectrum with its filter open (or at least not attempting any resonant sweeps).

FWIW, the A4 sounds quite soft and polite by comparison to the Ambika. I still love it, but I think it’s better used for mono sequences where you can get really freaky with p-locks.

Finally, if you dug the sound of the Prophet 12 and don’t mind having an old keyboard in your rig, I’d encourage you to look into an ESQ-1 or SQ-80. For the price (~$350) they are an insane value. Great for lovely, haunting, warm pads (though not quite Roland DCO territory) and much more besides, with a very usable on-board sequencer to boot.

Hahaaaa! You crack me up! :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS They don’t make the Ambika anymore, so you would have to find it second hand or source all the parts yourself.
I think the spec and build instructions are still on the site.
You could ask Olivier over at Mutable for them, if not; he’s a super nice guy.

Tubeohm has taken over the Ambika project with Olivier’s blessing. You can buy a kit on tubeohm.com for 600 euros (670 with the case). He’s also designed some new filter boards for it.

http://www.tubeohm.com/TubeOhm/SHOP_TUBIKA.html

An Ambika sequenced by your Octatrack seems like a great combination.

ARGH!
Thanks for the insta-GAS, tr0n. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard that a lot lately, however I work behind a computer all day, and I just cringe when going home to make tracks and looking at the computer more.
Also, I figure over time you get faster and more effective when using the hardware.

hEY Adam I was thinking about getting a Nord drum for layering stuff with my RYTM. Have you (or anyone?) tried triggering Nord from RYTM seperate outs to the input triggers on Nord? Does it work or only for pads?

It works

It works[/quote]
sPlendid!

A bit late to the discussion, but I owned a Micron until recently and was very happy with it. The synth engine is very flexible and powerful and I had a lot of fun creating all sorts of patches on it. Also, it has a nice, warm personality to it that I really miss. I didn’t use the sequencer on it much, as I preferred to sequence it from my DAW, but it worked ok. A bit fiddly perhaps.

I think it’s lack of success is down to no decent PC editor and mostly crappy factory presets. It is a synth for people who knows what they are doing and like to create their own patches. The “one knob for everything”-interface feels impractical at first, but with a bit of practice it works surprisingly well. Not nearly as quick and intuitive as creating patches on the A4, though.

I replaced it with the A4 because I didn’t have any good place to have it set up. So the A4 was more practical. The A4 has merits of its own, but I much preferred the synth engine and sound of the Micron to that of the A4. I miss it a lot. Since they are so different I wish I could have both, actually.

EDIT: Here is an example of the kind of things I often used it for. This is a single patch played live by me with no external effects applied.

Very nice track! Thanks for sharing. Quite enjoyed the ambience in that one.
I’ve got both a Miniak and a Micron available now, deciding which one to pick. Looks like it’ll be the Miniak, from what I’m hearing on the forums regarding build quality and so on.

I’ve never used a Miniak so I can’t help in that respect. My volume pot got crackly eventually, but other than that I had no issues. Iirc the Miniak has proper mod wheels. The sliders on the Micron was a bit impractical in my opinion.

I’ve never used a Miniak so I can’t help in that respect. My volume pot got crackly eventually, but other than that I had no issues. Iirc the Miniak has proper mod wheels. The sliders on the Micron was a bit impractical in my opinion.[/quote]
When reading the specs, it seems this little beast - Micron or Miniak, they appear identical inside - is actually an eight voice multitimbral workstation, or can be used as such.
Is that a right assessment? If I figure out the sequencer, can I make complete eight track songs on this one?

It works[/quote]
sPlendid![/quote]
I was in a rush when I responded earlier.
I wanted to add that not only does it work, but it is a great tool for layering. As you can send Rytm voices out the individual outs and main outs at the same time, you can use those individual outs as triggers for ND1 or ND2 and still hear Rytm’s synth/sample drums out the mains.
So, the Nord Drum becomes a third drum layer this way. You could route the output back into Rytm for compression, though you may need a boost pedal, or preamp (stereo if using ND2) to get it nice and loud for Rytm’s tame input.
_
Also, Rytm sends program change, and ND1&2 receive it.
It’s a great match for those into layered drum sounds. You have your analog synth drums, your digital sampled drums through analog filters and distortion, and your digitally modeled Nord drums through Rytm’s analog compressor.