Pedal For Deep / Dubby Techno

Hello!

I am looking for my 1st delay pedal (already have a BigSky), perhaps you can give me hints?

I own Elektron boxes, Microfreak, Minilogue, Volcas and some Roland Boutique. I am DAWless, want to keep away from Valhalla even.

Genre is in the title.

Rn considering:

• Strymon TimeLine
  • Strymon Volante
  • Boss RE-202

It seems that TimeLine is the most general? However Volante is very special, while 202 space echo seems the best fit for dub.

Budget is maximum 400ish.

1 Like

Why no Zen delay?

5 Likes

Eventide TimeFactor has an excellent tape delay model and often can be found used for low prices.

2 Likes

Little above budget and it’s very special indeed, but does it do the “classic regular stuff”? It may do things I do not necessarily need much.

Not sure, don’t have one. Have you looked into the DOD Rubberneck? Can be had for cheap and a few are avail. here for sale.

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Boss roland emulation.
Strymon volante can be midi synced and most parameters can be controlled or sequenced via midi. Mono to stereo or full stereo and line/instrument level switch. Sounds very nice and clean or dirty.
Cheap nux tape delay doesn’t sound bad for the money and adds some nice grid but isn’t hifi ish as strymon does.
I wonder if strymon el capistan isn’t a bit slightly better than volante when used for dub but haven’t owned that unfortunately.

Here is a list that makes it not easier to choose:

1 Like

Get one used :grin: I managed to get mine for ÂŁ300.

Seriously though it’s the bees knes. The filter and overdrive make it an instrument as much as an effect. Only downside is it isn’t multi-tap - which works well for deep dub techno stuff. If you have a delay on whatever you’re using to make your chords that can solve that problem well.

Here are a couple of my favourite dubby jams I’ve done with it, but it’s not part of my regular setup:

i had a Volante, and sold it and bought a Zen Delay because the Volante was a bit too clean and polite.

It felt like much more of a guitar pedal than a dub delay to me. ymmv, but just to share the experience as I did loads of research and the Volante seemed like exactly what I wanted… and it wasn’t.

on the budget end of things, I never used one, but this was another (untrendy) option I was considering at the time…

TC Electronic Flashback 2 X4 Delay at Gear4musicoy3oy_gaMjEwNzM3MjMyNS4xNjc2MDM4ODM0_up*MQ…

…but it’s unobtanium, you miswell mention the Unicorn “Scratch” Delay.

1 Like

I still can’t tell if there’s a demo or not, but if considering getting a used Zen Delay, maybe the newly released plug-in could help you decide/eliminate it?

I have and love Zen Delay but I honestly don’t know dubby techno so I wouldn’t have advice here other than hope you can narrow it down.

1 Like

When I installed the plugin, iLok told me there’s 7 days of demo time left. Not sure what happens after then.

1 Like

Check out the Benidub line, especially the delay and phaser.

4 Likes

If you want to play with your pedal live, I second the Benidub.
If you’re more set it and leave it, I would suggest the Empress Echosystem. It’s stereo, multiple delays, even a reverb you can combine with a delay…

1 Like

I have an Erica Zen and love it but would also highly consider the Empress Echosystem. If I were to buy another delay specific pedal, that would be it. The Zen isn’t ‘perfect’ (nothing is), so do your due diligence on it. It has some noise that some users don’t like (doesn’t bother me how I use it). It’s amazingly playable as that’s really the point of it.

It’s really begging for an assignable LFO to modulate things. That would have put it over the top. If they ever come out with an updated version that has that I would purchase it again in a second.

Timeline was the most expensive I had but liked least. I think El Capistan or Volante will both be great.

1 Like

Never tried them - but they say dub :wink:

3 Likes

El Capistan Sounds awesome! I can’t comment on the specific genre but the pedal quickly became my favorite. I got the V2 with the dedicated spring reverb knob. If you can swing it, it’s well worth it.

1 Like

Not for too long hopefully.

I made the mistake of selling mine, so I hope it’s not discontinued.

1 Like

Maybe I should raise budget and Empress Effects Echosystem?

What did they retail for?