Playdate

Panic + Teenage Engineering

8 Likes

when I saw it first, I was like “this looks very teenage engineering” and turns out they had their salt in the soup :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great minds think alike… merged.

5 Likes

For what it is and the material used, I think $149 for a boutique gaming device is a fine price. I think that OLED screen is the same or similar to the OP-1, so it’s going to be extra crispy.

1 Like

I mean you can run a GameCube on an iphone these days but I suppose that doesn’t have a…crank

2 Likes

From the site:

It has a black-and-white screen with high reflectivity, a crystal-clear image, and no backlight.

Doesn’t seem like it’s an OLED. If it’s LCD, I’m keen to see how they pull it off. I still find something charming about non-backlit screens.

edit: from further down in the FAQ:

Playdate’s 2.7-inch (68mm) screen is a unique, black-and-white, low-power LCD from Sharp, with a resolution of 400 × 240. On the surface, it might be tempting to compare the screen to, say, the Game Boy. But Playdate’s display is quite different: it has no grid lines, no blurring, is extremely sharp and clear, and has much higher resolution. It sounds odd to say, but: it’s truly a “premium” black-and-white screen.

2 Likes

As long as it lets me crank it all day and night, I’m totally getting one.

1 Like

It’s a gorgeous design and looks fun. I’ve been holding out on buying another Switch (after losing mine) because when I had one I spent way too much time on it instead of creative pursuits. This doesn’t appear to have that “sink hundreds of hours into it, oops!” quality and probably doesn’t aspire to be all-consuming, which is nice for me at least.

Oh, and $150 for the hardware + 12 games from some pretty big-deal names in indie gaming? This will sell out VERY SOON after preorders open, I imagine.

1 Like

High reflectivity with no backlight… Design these days… I don’t understand certain choices.

1 Like

It’s cute, but I think you’d have more fun with a second hand GBA SP / Micro and a copy of Wario Ware (and not get tied into season passes / subscriptions).

Fan of anything Keita Takahashi is involved in though.

3 Likes

Yeah, plus then you can get nanoloop 2 :smiley:

2 Likes

But they claim that it is readable as those e-ink displays.

2 Likes

Yep, I still have mine!

I can imagine people hacking the shit out of this little guy. Very excited!

About the screen, the press kit says:

Playdate’s 2.7-inch (68mm) screen is a unique, black-and-white, low-power LCD from Sharp, with a resolution of 400 × 240. On the surface, it might be tempting to compare the screen to, say, the Game Boy. But Playdate’s display is quite different: it has no grid lines, no blurring, is extremely sharp and clear, and has much higher resolution. It sounds odd to say, but: it’s truly a “premium” black-and-white screen.

Is there a backlight?

No! Wild, right? In daylight, the reflective layer makes it look spectacular. At night, you can sit by a reading lamp and bask in how incredibly beautiful a modern, sharp, highly-reflective black-and-white LCD can look. It’s great.

4 Likes

This reminds me of playing vector based black and white games at the exploratorium in SF (circa 1990) I couldn’t play for the life of me but those cosmonaut knobs and lo fi tones was probably a gateway drug into this passion.

3 Likes

Not surprised. They make toys no?

theres a big article on it within this months Edge magazine.
the 1st time i saw it i thought ‘looks like teenage engineering’ , i think the crank had similar shapes to those on the opz.

1 Like

Don’t mean to troll, but that’s the most hipster thing I’ve ever seen.
No doubt it’ll sell by the truckload though.

2 Likes

I for one am super excited to get it because it’s a novelty. I’ve had every nintendo and sony handheld ever made and would love to see a different approach to it. I still think the price is a little too high but considering this comes with 12 new and original games, with no microtransactions or subscriptions, actually justifies the cost a little (besides this being a TE product to some degree).

1 Like