Playdate

I swore off video games for years but I’m pretty tempted by this one, because Panic + TE.

Owning one might make me suddenly crave avocado toast, but I’ll take the chance

1 Like

I am not much of a gamer, but the portability and the idea of a subscription game service for small playable games is really interesting to me.

And a crank!!

2 Likes

Yeah if it is similar readability to the e-ink but with out any ghosting it will be a really cool little modern gameboy device. I get why they would go with the subscription type model on the games released on it to start, but it makes me worry that the quality and content will end up suffering do to strict season release schedule. Still quite tempted by it… would be nice to see a little stylish snake light to go with it if it really isn’t going to be backlit.

1 Like

Looks like the hipster version of a Hong Kong
12 in one game.

Let’s remember how edgy ninte do was in the 90s.

1 Like

It is finally here for pre-order.

I think the ship has sailed and so did my previous interest but it still look like a very fun handheld gaming device.

At this point I d rather emulate NES games on my Polyend Tracker.
or…Play with my Switch and sometimes have fun with Korg Gadget on Switch.
and…Leave the handheld stuff for the incoming M8 Tracker :wink:

:unicorn: :innocent: :koala:

I preordered, can’t wait to play it. Now comes with two games per week instead of just one! The dev tools look really neat too.

3 Likes

I missed the initial batch, pre-ordered the 2022 batch… but then cancelled the day after and bought a large hard drive. I’m clearly “old”.

Some previews of Playdate games.

The Lukas Pope segment shows the crank being used. He looks like a younger sibling of Hainbach.

Also a look at Pulp, the game development framework.

Oof, what did I just watch? Is it deliberately being made to look like it is being marketed to imbeciles, or very young children like in some kind of ironic way?

Also that stereo dock looks way to bulky for practical handheld gaming use.

I was never in, but man that whole thing just looks extremely cringey and naff, feels like it should be a Tim and Eric skit.

9 Likes

Very PBS Kids vibe, half expected Blue to pop up and lick the screen or something. Also, don’t understand why the retro color graphics intro would sell you on a device with a B&W screen…

I’d rather get this, personally.

4 Likes

I was confused about the music thing … it only seemed to be music they were ‘curating’

And most of the games, although ‘new’ were quite familiar games and mechanics except for cranking … which I think will loose it’s novelty very quickly.

If I wanted a modern zx spectrum id not bother and just grab an emulator.
And the speaker seemed a little pointless.

Any costs mentioned for subscription ? Is it cheaper that Apple games/Xbox etc ?

I did wonder why they’re making a web based game dev thing though it has a chip tune thing … so might be useful for recording the output if needed.

So I have to spend a shit ton of money for a handheld where the games are chosen for me and a speaker where the music is chosen for me?

Think I’ll stick with my DMGs (which I got as a pack of 5 for £10 at a car boot a few years ago).

File under “shit you don’t need” :laughing:

3 Likes

I do think they’re underplaying the dev part here. Compared to other platforms, building a game for this one is easy. The homebrew market might be the ticket here. I believe it’s based on Lua, which also powers Norns for example.

So yeah, a Norns for the video game community - if they allow for that kind of open publishing structure. I’m not getting the impression they do so far, tho.

3 Likes

The dev tools, and opportunity to get my kid building console software, is the one thing that crossed my mind when I cancelled my pre-order. I may yet re-pre-order for this one aspect.

100% - been waiting to preorder since I first read of this one

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with Panic’s games, but after glancing at them, I can see why they would be friends with TE peeps and devs like Lucas Pope, who I never heard of until I saw some enthusiastic talk about his games and Playdate (obviously not here :laughing:) yesterday.

The video appears to be for peeps who already love Panic’s style. Not intended at all for converting people who recoil at this sort of stuff.

I hear their app Transmit is a pretty good file transfer app.

1 Like

I’m into Breath of the Wild now. With a new Metroid on its way, I’m not gonna need another console for a decade, at the rate I’m finishing games.

2 Likes

Thats why i pre ordered. My oldest Son will love this thing. He is eleven years old and allready developing simple games and likes coding. It will be an awesome birthday present. It looks great by the way

1 Like