Please post your OT hiphop futurebeats lofi trip hop and boom bap here!

Ha, glad you took it well. Now I’m super excited to see/hear what you come up with in response :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks bro!!! Yeah SOMA has some gritty instruments!!! I want to explore more with the SOMA sound pack. Love your work btw!

1 Like

YO!!!
I am beyond flattered. Uhm, things have been difficult. I really shut down my creativity mode given all the events that have transpired over the past couple months. I thought I should show up and use my self to show solidarity with the protesters in my city as much as I could. The sanitation workers are on strike which is a huge deal too and I totally wanted to support them. I wasn’t going hardcore, no need to front that way but yea.

On top of that i’m adjusting to some new meds which was tough at first but has got me really jazzed for the future.

Also I don’t have an OT anymore…
I didn’t really gel with the MKII and moved it along. I do miss the black box though!
I just got a Maschine MK 3 yesterday and transitioning into a more software based flow so I can get my mixes tighter.
Feeling better and hoping to get back to creation soon.
Thanks so much!!!

3 Likes

No clue what this classifies as… but it felt boom bappy, so I share!

It’s very much repetitive, but it’s slow and def had me feeling it so I kept recording.

EDIT:

The xfader changes the DN Track 1 CC49 as well as the A4 track 1 CC49 (this comes right after the beat drops). The xfader also aggressively changes the SRR on the drum loop.

Interesting story with the drum loop, it’s a down pitched drum and bass beat, and I have two of the same loops playing at the same time. Only one is changed by the xfader. Really gives it that creepier feel and keeps the original character even while being changed so often.

This entire track was pretty much an accident :joy:

6 Likes

Ocean Twelve vibes :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fuck yeah, I love that track (“Thé à la menthe” by La Caution, awesome french hiphop group).

OT and Digitakt.

2 Likes

short, but :fire:

1 Like

My new track dropped on the Chillhop Essentials Fall 2020 comp yesterday :slight_smile: Wrote it at the start of lockdown last March / April. The beat was made on OT and you also hear Novation Peak, my thinline tele and a J-bass.

8 Likes

So Good! If you don’t mind me asking what’s your recording process?

Thank you! My process, sure :slight_smile: I go back and forth a lot, but I’ll try to describe!

I almost always start with one or two guitar ideas (mostly chord progressions) that I record into Ableton. I record my guitar through a Strymon El Capistan and Flint straight into de DAW and use an amp modeling vst. I cut the guitar pieces up and make sort of a rough arrangement for the track. Then I do a couple of patterns of beats on OT and record them track by track. I like to layer snares so it’s not unusual to have 3 tracks of sounds just for the snare.
I put the drum patterns into the arrangement and then usually go back to the guitar. I re-record the chords (strummed or fingerpicked or both), try a lot of variations and melodic things. Sometimes I’ll sample my guitar with OT and do weird stuff to it. Most of the time I also work on the arrangement at this point. This is where a track can really morph into something completely different from the first idea. When I’m happy with the guitars I add the bass.
Then I’ll record some synth parts like I do with the guitar. So lots of trying all kinds of sounds and ways of playing chords, some melodies and stuff. I might also go back to the guitar if I think a certain melody might sound better on guitar. I usually end up with way to many tracks in Ableton this way, so after recording I start messing with the arrangement again and cutting out tracks either entirely or in certain parts of the song.

I dunno if that’s what you meant but yea that’s how I make a track in a nutshell.

5 Likes

Perfect, thank you. It’s great to hear other users workflow. Awesome stuff!

2 Likes

@Voltagectrlr
Was listening to your new beats on YT the last few days without watching them vids just because Igot no time for that mostly :wink:

But now I just noticed that most Elektron branding gets an overlay treatment in your vids. I have never seen anyone do that before on YT and I was wondering what the motivation could be?

Anyway, I just come for the music because it’s always on point.

Peace.

2 Likes

Released my first beat tape using elektron boxes (OT, DT, AH) hope y’all like a couple joints

6 Likes

Skyline Blvd (Oakland, CA)

Calz1FINAL is GREAT music. Drop kick in the feels!

1 Like

oooh, reminds me of my fav vsnares album, songs about my cats. great stuff :smiley:

1 Like

Yo, I really appreciate that. Thanks!

10 Likes

this is dope