Please post your OT hiphop futurebeats lofi trip hop and boom bap here!

I started work on this beat last week and got a little delay with Mardi Gras happening. It was magical this year and for once I might be able to recall each part of it! It gives and takes.

I took a cool approach with this one that I have yet to try. I started by laying out some 8 bar drum loops with the SP404 into ableton. Then I created 3 different looped “parts” with the SP recorded into my DAW. The sample comes from a very unique record called “Tune Weaving” by Dawn. It’s an album of pop song mashups relevant to the time period recorded.
I added some side chain compression and then exported the parts to the Octatrack. From there I arranged and added performance elements with the scenes, chopped up a piano sample from “Smell of a Friend” by The Lodge and layered it over the the verse.
I also stuck with the internal compressor on the master track for this one!!
It can smash. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pretty happy with the outcome. The workflow was a little convoluted but also allowed me some new options in sound design and composition that I found to be refreshing.

Thanks for watching!

6 Likes

I bet that’s what J. Dilla would’ve done to the OT. Keep at it - you’re on your way to becoming a legend in your own right. That was a treat, as well as your follow-up video:

2 Likes

Nice beat man

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about doing live streams lately to test out my sets before shows and to connect with people in real time.
I’m testing out my live setup… camera mic, lights etc.
I’ll keep y’all posted as things develop.

Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

This sounds really good man!
I have new found respect for the OT compressor on the master track… sounds dope!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot man.
I have tons of respect of Dilla and what he contribbuted to HipHop culture, he was a 1 of 1 and will forever be solidified in the history of music.
The best way I can honor Dilla’s legacy is to stay original, honor the ones that came before me, and artwork, work, work… he was super creative!
He’s still the King of Beats.

I’m working on building my catalog…
since last September I dropped 4 beat projects:
Modbaptism 1
Modbaptism 1.5
Modbaptism 2
Modbaptism 3
Streaming on all platforms + voltagectrlr.bandcamp.com

Thanks again for rocking’ with me!

2 Likes

Thanks yo! Max Marco has a good tutorial about dialing in the internal comp and then using a record trig to see the wave form of the master track.

1 Like

Alright! Thanks!

another space tune with OT,A4 and 2 VA synths.

Meanwhile in the land of Modbap…
Here’s another Octatrack X Modular session.

5 Likes

@Voltagectrlr that latest is sick (I need to expand my vocabulary some day)! Really got a lil signature going

@GarrettDeBell your beats always slam so hard. Love it

Between the DT and OT hiphop threads I kinda want to start but I just always make weird non-hiphop. One day I’ll figure it out :joy:

2 Likes

Weird non-hip hop is good too!

3 Likes

@craig

Here you go…

First time using retrig for hihats.

Using the max marco sample pack for the challenge.

Still have a lot to learn :upside_down_face:

I think I did a thing

4 Likes

Love that. Sounds like a Cycles at the beginning. Keep going with that one :ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh interesting. I need to listen to more Cycles jams then.

Thanks for the motivation :tada:

1 Like

1 Like

Glitch Hop is a branch of the HipHop and IDM tree… Me likes!

1 Like

I am pretty stoked to have figured out the baby steps. Can’t wait to put more effort into it. It’s quite a different process than just blasting sound. Thanks!

1 Like

Yo! I don’t check back to this thread enough!
Appreciate the kindness! :v::cyclone:

1 Like

Keep at it! Enjoyed the sample chain video. Can’t wait to hear what comes next from that