Polyend Play

Are we sliding into the Trough of Disillusionment?

5 Likes

i think we might be… Next stop slope of enlightenment!

3 Likes

I’m still in the corridor of uncertainty.

12 Likes

Can someone open the door of enlightenment, I am stuck outside in the moody uncertainty hallway ?

With their teases it’s hard to be anywhere else

1 Like

Well, not much but it’s the only thing showed clearly.

Track length (?) and play mode. So probs some polyrhythm stuff, forward/backward, random, etc

1 Like

I assumed the photo where there’s a full column of red pads showed a linear playhead moving along the tracks, and it would make sense to have various other options for that, similar to the Minibrute 2S but with an expanded vertical layout. This kind of thing is a fairly common request for the Tracker, but not so easy to implement in that setup, so I guess that would help the two devices have their own identity (I assume the Tracker isn’t going anywhere).

1 Like

I´m pretty sure, that I can read Random and Mode. My eyes are not the bestcc91a9340bfb664efdde317df1133e6d1398280e

13 Likes

I went back to my Deluge the other day, again drawn to the all in one-box idea of it. It ended up the same way it always does. I kind of like it. I enjoy the workflow. Synth engine is good (sometimes great, actually). Plays back samples nicely. Got a little thing going with it pretty fast, knocking out the outlines for a structure.

But as soon as sounds start to fight for their space, that’s when it stops working for me. There’s nothing glueing them together. I pour the same content into the blackbox and I don’t even have to try to make it all sound amazingly better by literally doing nothing more than some panning and gain adjustments.

I would love for a dedicated sampler with strong output quality and flexibility with outboard gear to apply the hands-on approach for writing, that the Deluge does. My expectations are, this might be the one. But I’m pretty sure it’s not.

2 Likes

just please, if it can sample/play samples give us more than 8mb of memory.

2 Likes

in slightly off topic but related news - I’d love Erica to do an all in 1 groovebox. their stuff sounds so gnarly, & design is top notch.

5 Likes

Most of their eurorack systems are pretty close to what you’re describing. Nearly all of them have drum modules, VCO modules and a sequencer. Pretty pricey though!

I can’t get too excited about this. I love the guys at Polyend but this is looking like a piano roll style sequencer like on the Deluge, Oxi Oni and Hapax. Don’t know what it is, but it’s a workflow that never seems to spark anything creative in me.

2 Likes

Yep, same for me…the 8x16 grid layout has so much potential as a sequencer which imo get’s squandered by a piano-roll style layout!

1 Like

Haha I’m the opposite :slight_smile: love myself some piano rolls :slight_smile:

Just give me the Deluge with awesome output quality and a bunch of multiple outs, no goddam synth, just super sampler feature laser mega stuff, and I’m good.

Which is a pity because with a grid layout you could actually cater to a lot of different workflows - just allow the user to choose the workflow they prefer. E.g. select a track and then choose from different sequencer types such as mono piano-roll style, poly elektron step sequencer style, mono drum sequencer style, euclidean mode, etc. (Polyend could basically just look at the Norns community for inspiration and create different modes selectable at the track level).

4 Likes

I always wanted some of that. :smiley:

4 Likes

Akai Force hands down! Its output quality is absolutely rock solid. Lots of room. I own all Elektron stuff and like it. But when it comes to strong output quality the Akai Force is superior. Every time I take it out I’m amazed by it. That quality combined with the Elektron workflow would be a winner for me. This is true for the smaller Akai MPC ONE also.

4 Likes

I’ve actually been eyeing the Force from time to time. It’s the one mega box I’ve never tried. Maybe I should, at some point.

2 Likes

I’m hoping it’s a deluge like Device too… but cooler.
Not sure if anyone remembers the DadaMachines Composer. That was a dope concept too

6 Likes